Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Require bike of the pedal kind

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:10 - 07 Sep 2015    Post subject: Require bike of the pedal kind Reply with quote

Having jumped jobs again I find myself within a nice commutable distance to work so I'm looking for a bike. Not owned one for 15 years and only ever had mountain bikes "cos they were cooler" Rolling Eyes

A bit older and just a touch less twatty I'm open to suggestions for something I can use to commute but also use for longer hocks on days off to alternate with running. There is a myriad of stuff out there and I aint got a clue so please help Sad !

Road only, sub 1k, 6'3".

This one was pointed out to me as an option https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Specialized-Allez-Sport-Road-Bike-carbon-fork-Excellent-condition-58cm-trek-/201409688513?hash=item2ee4f3f3c1

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 08 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

A light hybrid will be just as fast Thumbs Up

Id suggest but a decent used hybrid/road frame and new bits to fit. 1k budget is a lot and should get something very decent for well under half. There is plenty of fancy bollocks to waste money on, but it wont make you quicker than me :p

Rigga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 08 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you would probably be better with a hybrid or a mtb, depends what kind of riding you wanna do on wknds etc? Road riding or off road trails or a mixture of both with a few canal towpaths thrown in? A hybrid will do most of those things or you could get a mtb and put some semi slick tyres on, a Hardtail would be best probably.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 08 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get a road bike, they are a bit vulnerable to curbs and aren't as comfortable as say a hybrid. Make sure you get decent mudguards if you're riding through winter too. I paid £40 for my Dawes, god knows why anyone would pay over £300 for a bicycle. But I am a frugal (sensible) yorkshire-man.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:12 - 09 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yammykid wrote:
I wouldn't get a road bike, they are a bit vulnerable to curbs

This is, and always has been bollocks. Maybe vulnerable to pinch flats if you really dunt them up a kerb but standard road wheels are very strong and will cope with a lot. Very little differenc ebetween a road wheel and a 29"er MTB wheel. If you start getting down to real fancy race/TT stuff with 10-spokes and carbon rims thery might be getting a little more delicate.

I was out on my classic road bike with 1 1/8" x 27" wheels and did 26 miles round the totally unmetalled Kielder lake perimeter track the other week. Mrs stinkwheel was with me with her 700x32C fixie. I've also done the Blue routes at Coed-y-Brenin mountain bike centre on it. With road tyres.

OP. Have a look at on-one and genesis road bikes, they do some good quality steel frame commuter bikes that are robust and comfortable to ride.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:17 - 09 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerbs? Stay off the pavement. Wink

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 09 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same bike you posted, albeit the 2014 flavour. I paid just under £500 brand new, so i'd be wanting to pay a bit less than he is asking tbh.

great bike, I cant fault it. the one thing I would say, is that if you want a comfier ride to work, go for a hybrid, as this isn't the most forgiving bike for your arse Confused

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:10 - 09 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

To further elaborate, the planet-x "London Road", seems a good option, aluminium frame. I'd fit mudguards.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/london-road

I like this company. I ride one of their opn-one branded mountain bikes as does Mrs stinkwheel. Based in Sheffield. Slightly out of the ordinary approach to designing bicycles but the standard of finish on their built bikes is very good because they make most of the ancilliary parts like seat clamps and headsets in-house to a good quality.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 09 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies, this bike will definitely be for roading only so no MTBs and never been a fan of hybrid bikes.

Have looked through a few things so far and visited a few places but the Btwins have actually caught my eye (If I buy new).

Ali frame and carbon fork but low spec parts, was lugging it about earlier and it weighs nowt, I had to stop myself from buying it Laughing https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-se-road-bike-black-id_8306187.html

This is where I think I may go 105s https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-700-af-road-bike-105-id_8324331.html

This one is nuts, full carbon with 105s for 1k, felt finger light https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mach-720-carbon-road-bike-id_8311471.html

Reccomended by evans and I quite liked it https://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/dolomite-five-2015-road-bike-ec071300

Also obviously scanning for second hand plus the new line-up is due very soon.

Ill check out those planet X bikes, cheers Stink.

groovylee
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 10 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I'd fit mudguards.

oh, and this. forgot just how wet you get with no mudguards Laughing

Current - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000R & 1999 Kawasaki ZX6R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 12 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have missed a bargain from would you believe it, Argos Laughing

Oh well still digging, what do you guys think to this? https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-pro-sl-2000-bike-now/aid:743964?bikevariantchanged=744000

this is the comparable canyon I think https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endurace/2016/endurace-al-6-0.html

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:46 - 12 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to go road test some. No point finding you hate it after dropping the fat end of a grand on it.

Last road bike Mrs stinkwheel bought, she tried three bikes from the same shop. Hated the two carbon ones, loved the Van Nicholas titanium one. They were happy for her to go out and try it for a proper go. She did 60 miles on it before deciding to buy it.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 12 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately cant test either of those bikes out in the UK it seems. I have found one good shop reasonably local, the only Evans near me are in proper congested locations, wont be going back.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got one, Scott speedster cheapish off the bay. It's had some use but is in reasonable condition and if I don't like then meh. Didn't realise how fast steer and twitchy these are compared to MTBs.

Dropped into LBS for a service and check up then rode home. Now noticing a ticky clicking when I rotate the steering, not happy. They have not caused it just don't think they picked it up so just disappointed considering the cost, least they set the front mech.

Is it worth picking up my own mech stand, do they make a difference?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:01 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saves your back. Makes any jobs a whole lot easier and more comfortable.

It's like working on a sportsbike on a paddock stand/lift compared to the sidestand.

Also potentially somewhere to store your bike.

Mine has two legs that stick forwards rather than a tripod. Has the advantage it can be backed right up against the wall/into a corner with the bike on it if space is tight.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:20 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Workshop stands are great, the Lidl one is a bargain, I have one.

Ticking noises can be maddening, they are a fact of life with a pushbike - sometimes you find the fix in seconds, sometimes it takes months! It sounds like you want to do your own spannering? You'll get help with the ticking noise at yacf.co.uk or cyclechat.net - those are the two best cycling forums for sensible advice. Or if you post the ebay link so I can see the spec of the bike I might be able to make suggestions. I built my bike pretty much from scratch so maybe I could point you in the right direction, but I'm not an expert. The real mechanical wizards are at yacf and they're amazingly helpful.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 20:45 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

You'll be telling him he doesn't need stabilisers next, pure heresy!

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:52 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What speedster did you get?

I had the 40,great bike!

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 26 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Ste wrote:

You'll be telling him he doesn't need stabilisers next, pure heresy!

What!!!!! Surprised You mean I dont have to have them? How will it stay up??

Its an 08 speedster 40 with tiagra. Tried it a couple of times and thought what kind of new torture is this. Need to get a shorter stem for a better more comfortable fit and up the seat a touch but other then that it goes faster then I can manage.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:18 - 26 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the triple or double chain set?

Mine was fitted with the triple crank,you could climb up walls with it. Only downside for me was it was a tad heavy for my liking,especially in the rear. I actually find the new bike comfier than the Scott which doesn't seem right.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wull wrote:
Is it the triple or double chain set?

Mine was fitted with the triple crank,you could climb up walls with it. Only downside for me was it was a tad heavy for my liking,especially in the rear. I actually find the new bike comfier than the Scott which doesn't seem right.

Its got a truvativ triple on it, I tend to sit on the middle ring but have dropped onto the small ring to save my quads. although found I can sprint it up shorter inclines fine as long as I can catch my breath when it flattens.

Comfort is ok, watched a few fitting vids and the seat needs to go up a tad and I reckon my bars need to come a bit closer as my arms are pretty straight when in the tops.

Just check and mine is a 120mm with the downward crank angle, might get a 60mm https://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-zero-1-2014/

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:14 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double or triple chainsets? Shocked

Never!!

My next build will be 1x10 or 1x11. With a double or a triple, the smallest chainring has always been useless because you're spinning so fast but going so slowly. Using the middle chainring and keeping your speed up is much easier. Smile

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sload wrote:
Just check and mine is a 120mm with the downward crank angle, might get a 60mm https://www.wiggle.co.uk/deda-zero-1-2014/

Assuming its an aheadset type just take it off and turn it upside down. Thumbs Up Try that before spending out money.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to get a bit more cycle fit Ste before I bin it completely, got a reasonable set of not chicken legs but they run out of gas a bit too fast when I hammer it. The bike shifts it's the engine that's faulty, it's a bit unnerving how well it rolls and it can get scary on descents even with budget wheels as they say.

Ill give that a try pup cheers. Still reckon ill shorten it, I feel far more comfortable on the back bars where the suicide levers used to be.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:49 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah mine was rarely on the granny ring but there was a few sportives where it was needed. It was always good to have as back up if and when it was needed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 185 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2