Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cant get my honda crm to start. Help?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:20 - 22 Sep 2015    Post subject: Cant get my honda crm to start. Help? Reply with quote

Thanks in advance for any help with this...

I have a honda crm250 which i bought last week. its been quite difficult to get started and today it wouldnt start at all. Ive kicked the kickstart about 30 times and it shows no sign of life. The lights and dash flash when the bike is kicked so i guess the battery is ok but the engine is not firing. I fear that ive now flooded the engine as well

Im no mechanic and have only a brief knowledge so please bear with me

Any help would be appreciated, cheers!

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 22 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

New plug will help.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:00 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will start with a new plug tomorrow, maybe it has a poor compression as well Confused

sean

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:13 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start

Fuel on
Choke on (Full)
'Crack' the throttle open about an 1/8 of a turn and hold it there.
Kick it over until it fires.
Don't let it scream it's head off when just fired up by rolling off the throttle a little. (without letting it die.)

If it doesn't start it may be flooded.

Choke off
Open throttle 100%
Crank it over several time to blow the excess fuel out.

Choke on and repeat.

If is still wont start try a little less choke. But normally a properly tuned engine needs max choke. But there are exceptions.

If all that fails then check for sparks at the plug tip.
No sparks then check electrics.

Good luck.

And wear strong boots. Trainers/Carpet Slipper will destroy the arch of your foot and fuck you chances in Strictly. Shocked

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

KILL SWITCH?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 08:33 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Re: Cant get my honda crm to start. Help? Reply with quote

Sean91 wrote:
The lights and dash flash when the bike is kicked so i guess the battery is ok

For the record, that suggests the exact opposite - presuming it has a battery, if stuff only comes on when the bike is kicked it suggests the battery is dead.
Shouldn't be the end of the world with a kick start bike.
Does depend on how stuff is wired - for instance the c90 has some lights on AC which are purely powered by the engine.

However I'd expect to see some dash lights at least come on when the key is turned.

If the headlight is permanently on and the battery is dead, this could be draining a bit too much power destined for the spark plug.

2 strokes generally need some throttle when kicked over (the opposite of 4 strokes).

In the past we've had to tow 2 stroke behind a car to bump start it to get it going when not used for a while. Worked fine after that.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:03 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Re: Cant get my honda crm to start. Help? Reply with quote

G wrote:
Sean91 wrote:
The lights and dash flash when the bike is kicked so i guess the battery is ok

For the record, that suggests the exact opposite - presuming it has a battery, if stuff only comes on when the bike is kicked it suggests the battery is dead.
Shouldn't be the end of the world with a kick start bike.
Does depend on how stuff is wired - for instance the c90 has some lights on AC which are purely powered by the engine.

However I'd expect to see some dash lights at least come on when the key is turned.

If the headlight is permanently on and the battery is dead, this could be draining a bit too much power destined for the spark plug.

2 strokes generally need some throttle when kicked over (the opposite of 4 strokes).

In the past we've had to tow 2 stroke behind a car to bump start it to get it going when not used for a while. Worked fine after that.

it was like that when the bike was running as well though, the headlamp, dashboard lights and even horn only work once the engine has been started so i dont see it as a sign. i assumed it was because they werent wired directly into the battery or something. im kinda scratching my head about it at the moment

cheers

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:05 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Re: Cant get my honda crm to start. Help? Reply with quote

It's not unusual for trail bikes to work like that. I don't think my CRM125 did, but that had a NSR based engine.
Check your battery with a multimeter anyway - it may not even have one if you haven't looked in there!

An engine needs the correct fuel/air ratio, a spark and compression to fire.
Something has gone wrong there.

What I'd do:
Clean the carb out (dirt bikes often get blocked jets, so it's a good idea to do regularly anyway).
Check the spark plug, it may well be fowled from repeated starting. Consider replacing if you have one around. Also worth noting that on a KTM350EXC I had I thought it was changing the spark plug that made it work - I went over it after I sold it before delivering and found that the HT lead was faulty at the end and moving this was what made it work when doing the spark plug. Cut it down slightly and it fired second kick.
Check the battery etc.
Try a decent bump start.
Consider how the compression 'feels' and maybe borrow a compression tester.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:06 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

@mcn: thanks for the tips but ive tried it this morning and the bike still wont start.

Next step is to take the spark plug out. Problem is i cant find it Rolling Eyes Laughing

Sean

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:09 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Re: Cant get my honda crm to start. Help? Reply with quote

G wrote:
It's not unusual for trail bikes to work like that. I don't think my CRM125 did, but that had a NSR based engine.
Check your battery with a multimeter anyway - it may not even have one if you haven't looked in there!

An engine needs the correct fuel/air ratio, a spark and compression to fire.
Something has gone wrong there.

What I'd do:
Clean the carb out (dirt bikes often get blocked jets, so it's a good idea to do regularly anyway).
Check the spark plug, it may well be fowled from repeated starting. Consider replacing if you have one around. Also worth noting that on a KTM350EXC I had I thought it was changing the spark plug that made it work - I went over it after I sold it before delivering and found that the HT lead was faulty at the end and moving this was what made it work when doing the spark plug. Cut it down slightly and it fired second kick.
Check the battery etc.
Try a decent bump start.
Consider how the compression 'feels' and maybe borrow a compression tester.
to be honest im a novice, and have very little mechanical knowledge. Ive bump started it down hill last night and still nothing

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Re: Cant get my honda crm to start. Help? Reply with quote

Sean91 wrote:
Im no mechanic and have only a brief knowledge so please bear with me

No one is born mechanically minded and all skills have to be learned. You've received some good advice from the above posters. Follow it and let us know how you get on.
BTW I wish you luck locating the battery Wink

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
KILL SWITCH?

Yep, check you are getting spark. No spark, no go. Thumbs Up

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:42 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Re: Cant get my honda crm to start. Help? Reply with quote

None of what I've described is particularly hard to do.
You shouldn't even need to take the carb off to clean out the jets (just loose the jubilee clips etc and spin it around).
Plenty of guides out there on the 'net.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:58 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, im going to start with the spark plug and make sure its sparking and go from there. To get at it though i would need to take off the seat and fuel tank so this will probably be a job in itself

Sean

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:53 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most dirt bikes let you have access from the side of the bike.
When I was spectating at the Weston Supermare beach race a competitor leant his bike up against the railings by us, changed his plug and carried on mid-race.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:20 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the crf has access to the plug from the side but on my crm the plug is annoyingly tucked away under the petrol tank. Ive now taken the seat and petrol tank off the bike to get to it, the spark plug was black at the end and it was a bit wet on the threads (i guess that still means ive flooded the engine?)
Ive cleaned the plug with a wire brush put it back in the ht, put it to earth and kicked the kickstart. Good news is it sparks and ive changed the plug for good measure. i havent yet put the bike back together though, a mate told me i may have to drain the carb of fuel if the engine is flooded

Sean

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:23 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Re: Cant get my honda crm to start. Help? Reply with quote

Quick look at pics suggests you shouldn't need to do more than take the side panels off.

If the engine it's self is flooded, the carb being drained won't make much difference.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you haven't got an exhaust full of fuel, after repeated attemts to start it. Benn there, done that!

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:59 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Re: Cant get my honda crm to start. Help? Reply with quote

G wrote:
Quick look at pics suggests you shouldn't need to do more than take the side panels off.

If the engine it's self is flooded, the carb being drained won't make much difference.

yeah it was fairly straight forward to disassemble, ive got a new spark plug in the bike now but i havent put it back together or know if it will start yet. i cant see it being that simple (but i can hope!)

sean

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I left my crm for a few weeks it was always difficult to start. What I did was point an electric convection heater in the general direction of the carb. Give it a few minutes of heat, then try kicking it w/ choke. Started easy that way. Of course, if you don't have a garage this isn't the best solution - but definitely worth a go if you have.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:49 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
If I left my crm for a few weeks it was always difficult to start. What I did was point an electric convection heater in the general direction of the carb. Give it a few minutes of heat, then try kicking it w/ choke. Started easy that way. Of course, if you don't have a garage this isn't the best solution - but definitely worth a go if you have.

It has to be worth a try. Using a hairdryer at low speed might be a bit more effective

Sean

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:51 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect warming the engine not just the carb up is what is more likely to be helping - so something with lots of heat in the general area of the bike Smile.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:48 - 23 Sep 2015    Post subject: Re: Cant get my honda crm to start. Help? Reply with quote

Raffles wrote:
BTW I wish you luck locating the battery Wink

It doesnt have a battery does it? Thats why the lights dont come on when you turn the key Rolling Eyes Laughing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:43 - 24 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I suspect warming the engine not just the carb up is what is more likely to be helping - so something with lots of heat in the general area of the bike Smile.

You're right there G. In fact iirc heat more aimed at the plug area if anywhere specific, now that I think about it.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Tristan.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:13 - 24 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean the air filter (or just remove it to see if she fires up)

My crm becomes a bitch to start with a dirty filter. My xr becomes basically impossible.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3