Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

riding a motorcycle all year round in the uk?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

colin93
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:42 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: riding a motorcycle all year round in the uk? Reply with quote

I am seriously thinking of getting a harley davidson iron 883, the only thing is it would be my only form of transport which i am fine with, but is it a good or bad idea living with just a motorcycle?

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The words loonie, taxi and pizza have just flashed through my mind
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin93
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:54 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends where you are but anywhere in the UK will have several days when riding a bike will be bordering on insane due to ice, snow, wind or lashing rain.
Your suggested bike is possibly one of the least likely to carry on functioning through weeks of being soaked in salty water most days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody born in 93 is called Colin

And even then no 23 year old is riding a pig iron POS.

I call BS - there I've done it. Suckerz

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't imagine the salt will be good for all that chrome. You'll have to spend 10 hours polishing it after each ride, or it'll turn into a 1980's Lancia.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
or it'll turn into a 1980's Lancia.

A 30K and rising investment?

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:15 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
or it'll turn into a 1980's Lancia.

A 30K and rising investment?

Nah, the other kind. Wink

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two British winters and that thing will look like the Titanic.

That and riding a naked bike in the middle of winter isn't pleasant, heated grips and muffs would look pretty fucking stupid on a tassletractor.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't be able to ride all year, round there will be a week or so every now and again where it snows or is icy.

Granted in my younger stupid days I did ride my CBR in the snow and I didn't fall off either. In hind sight it was incredibly stupid and the boss I worked for wasn't worth it either. I even had a photo of me being the only one in the carpark.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

colin93
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:30 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

so excluding winter when it is snowing/frosty when it would be in my dads garage, would I be able to ride the rest of the year?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin93 wrote:
so excluding winter when it is snowing/frosty when it would be in my dads garage, would I be able to ride the rest of the year?

In a nutshell yes. But it may be unpleasant and it will cause all sorts of weather related wear on your machine.

You can mitigate both these by purchasing decent quality gear to keep the rain out and the cold out. A screen, decent tyres, ACF-50 / FS-365 spray corrosion protection.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

colin93
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:36 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay thank you, I will be cleaning it most weekends anyway with the price of it, probably avoid rain too. thanks for the advice Itchy! is there anything else I should know before I go for it?

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:10 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where you are, I'm originally from staffs moorland, answer there no, resounding. Now I'm down the south east, down here on a mild winter yeah no worries..

One thing you need to know tho, cleaning every weekend isn't often enough, they are nice bikes really, guy at works got one, nice style but they look the bike that need cleaning after every ride..

Although' This you much research, you must: ACF50

(READ THIS:) https://www.acf-50.co.uk/

To stand a chance of getting through the third year..

Gl Thumbs Up

Last edited by Kaya75 on 23:15 - 27 Sep 2015; edited 1 time in total

colin93
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:15 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in north yorkshire

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:19 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you keep it relatively dry by way of a garage, you can have some amazing rides on dry days in winter.. So long as it's not iced.. Go for it Thumbs Up

colin93
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:23 - 27 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Kaya75 and itchy! I think ill go for it, I know its a lot of maintenance but it is worth it for such a good looking motorcycle! ill avoid snow and ica and ill do my best to avoid rain too!

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Re: riding a motorcycle all year round in the uk? Reply with quote

colin93 wrote:
I am seriously thinking of getting a harley davidson iron 883, the only thing is it would be my only form of transport which i am fine with, but is it a good or bad idea living with just a motorcycle?

Welcome to the forum Colin.

Have you ridden any motorcycle? Have you ridden a Harley?

Anything is possible, but the thought of somebody riding a Harley with muffs Laughing

Anyhow the last guy who was claiming he will be riding a Harley has ended up with Fireblade.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:26 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride some bikes.

It is likely the training mules you'll find yourself on are better bikes for all year round use, faster, handle better and are more reliable than an 883. Bandit, fazer, er6, that kind of thing.

You'll want a screen, muffs, heated grips and all that in the winter.

You'll need to consider luggage. A backpack ain't particularly comfortable, and luggage options for an 883 are awkward as givi boxes don't fit the style, and harley would rather you bought a big bagger. Leather panniers will get your kit soaked and will need careful maintenance to survive British winters.

I went down the cruiser route, but mine's an old shaft drive and every time I get the tools out it gets uglier and more practical. Big luggage does enough food shopping to fill my freezer, small luggage is plenty for tools, laptop, change of clothes and overnight stuff and is narrow enough to not cause problems filtering. Garish stickers because otherwise the bike appears to be the width of the back wheel. I won't say don't do it, but I will say consider how you're going to everything you intend to do.

I lose a week or two each year of riding to snow and ice. I'd lose a lot more in hospital if I rode in such conditions.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:33 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin93 wrote:
im in north yorkshire

Same here, I keep it on road year round because there can be reasonable days in any month, but you have to accept that from November to March you will need alternative transport quite often.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:54 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron 883.
Unfortunate rhyming slang connotations with that particular bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:50 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Re: riding a motorcycle all year round in the uk? Reply with quote

Of course you can ride a bike most of the year. Just get decent gear and apply lots of ACF-50 (ideally to the bike).

What many people do is to get a summer bike and a cheap winter hack. I can tell you from experience that you'll soon start to associate the winter slog with the bike itself, even if it's a perfectly decent machine.

Val wrote:
Have you ridden any motorcycle? Have you ridden a Harley?

QFT.

A Harley should be the last bike you ride, not the first.

Doubly so because give the number of low mileage mint garage queens out there, the moment you put serious miles on it or any cosmetic tiredness, you'll be hard pressed to find a buyer.

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 09:36 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to ride through winter but mostly when i had shitty old bikes. then when i could afford nice bikes i used to buy a winter hack and ride that. But to be honest i just drive the car or use the mountain bike now.

Winter roads near me can get bad and it usually isnt that much fun.

No way i would risk riding my only nice bike in winter these days.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

you ask if you can ride all year then say you wont ride in snow ice or rain

that will be about a month every year then Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 212 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3