Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

riding a motorcycle all year round in the uk?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:11 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, for a Harley rider, "all year" probably covers May all the way through to September.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 28 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the rain then that's about three days Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

deadwolf
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 07:10 - 29 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run what you brung for the non-winter months, just have one of these to spare as a winter hack:

https://www.picture-newsletter.com/speedway/speedway-32.jpg

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 29 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/geoffhill/1553FE0E-93B4-4C50-9F6F-476A1825378A_zpssul5lwht.jpg

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 29 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin93 wrote:
probably avoid rain too.

Then your going to end up not riding it at all in winter. Just get a bike you don't have to worry about getting a bit of dirt or water on and not a Harley.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 29 Sep 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding year round is doable, albeit rather unpleasant for most of Dec/Jan/Feb and a bit crashy on snowy/icy days.

That said, I wouldn't fancy winter salty roads on something with that much shiny.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 29 Sep 2015    Post subject: Re: riding a motorcycle all year round in the uk? Reply with quote

Topics gone from

colin93 wrote:
but is it a good or bad idea living with just a motorcycle?

Indicating all year round riding to

colin93 wrote:
ill avoid snow and ica and ill do my best to avoid rain too!

Seems your question should have been "is this a good summer ride?"

Looks like you've made plans to go ahead with the purchase anyway and as your main and only form of transport I'm sure you'll soon adjust your opinion when you realize how pointless walking is when you have a motor at home of course conditions permitting.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 4 years, 335 days between these two posts...

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:37 - 29 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
..... tassletractor.

ROTFLMAO Laughing Laughing

DownHillMania...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:28 - 29 Aug 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL what? Laughing

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:07 - 01 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin93 wrote:
okay thank you, I will be cleaning it most weekends anyway with the price of it, probably avoid rain too. thanks for the advice Itchy! is there anything else I should know before I go for it?

How are you going to ride year round in the UK whilst avoiding the rain??

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 01 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:

Don't worry about it - he dissolved 5 years ago

colin93
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:57 - 01 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
PotatoHead2020 wrote:

Don't worry about it - he dissolved 5 years ago

Sadly I didn't dissolve 5 years ago, I just realised asking this question was pointless since half the answers were people trying to be funny and not been helpful at all, I got my Harley btw, had it 4 years and loved it, rode it in everything but ice and snow which we only seem to get in December round here so 11 months a year of solid riding. Eventually I would it for a good price and bought a 300bhp focus st, I will get another Harley again because I loved my old one. One thing I learned from asking this 5 years ago is to just try things for myself because very few people will actually offer you genuine advice when you need it, I tried it, bought my Harley and loved every day of it!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:25 - 01 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin93 wrote:

Sadly I didn't dissolve 5 years ago, I just realised asking this question was pointless since half the answers were people trying to be funny and not been helpful at all, I got my Harley btw, had it 4 years and loved it, rode it in everything but ice and snow which we only seem to get in December round here so 11 months a year of solid riding. Eventually I would it for a good price and bought a 300bhp focus st, I will get another Harley again because I loved my old one. One thing I learned from asking this 5 years ago is to just try things for myself because very few people will actually offer you genuine advice when you need it, I tried it, bought my Harley and loved every day of it!

One wonders why you feel the need to revisit a forum that you last posted on 5 years ago and didn't like the answer to the question you posted.

Sounds like you've just got divorced from your 'doing what you like' statement.

Harleys are shit. they will always be shit, but it seems that dumb people will pay over the odds for them. A bit like the people who buy 300bhp focuses. Everyone knows that anything over 200bhp on a front wheel drive has such bad torque steer to render it useless.

Sounds like 'tard has got your password....

colin93
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:04 - 01 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
colin93 wrote:

One wonders why you feel the need to revisit a forum that you last posted on 5 years ago and didn't like the answer to the question you posted.

Sounds like you've just got divorced from your 'doing what you like' statement.

Harleys are shit. they will always be shit, but it seems that dumb people will pay over the odds for them. A bit like the people who buy 300bhp focuses. Everyone knows that anything over 200bhp on a front wheel drive has such bad torque steer to render it useless.

Sounds like 'tard has got your password....

First off the reason I revisited is because I'm looking at getting another bike and seeing what others recommend on here, I like Harley's so I'll stick to my opinion on that one, and second "everyone knows 200bhp to the front wheels is useless" is a statement from somebody that has never driven a car with 200bhp to the front wheels. Plenty of people push the MK2 st and many other fwd cars well beyond 300bhp, I have no issues at all with torque steer and it is definitely driveable, clearly you have never driven one or you would know this, maybe 30 years ago that much power to the front was an issue but these days we are well past that

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 02 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin93 wrote:

"everyone knows 200bhp to the front wheels is useless" is a statement from somebody that has never driven a car with 200bhp to the front wheels. Plenty of people push the MK2 st and many other fwd cars well beyond 300bhp, I have no issues at all with torque steer and it is definitely driveable, clearly you have never driven one or you would know this, maybe 30 years ago that much power to the front was an issue but these days we are well past that

Well said. My mate's FK8 Civic Type R is ~320bhp standard and would absolutely destroy my 911.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colin93
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:10 - 02 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
colin93 wrote:

"everyone knows 200bhp to the front wheels is useless" is a statement from somebody that has never driven a car with 200bhp to the front wheels. Plenty of people push the MK2 st and many other fwd cars well beyond 300bhp, I have no issues at all with torque steer and it is definitely driveable, clearly you have never driven one or you would know this, maybe 30 years ago that much power to the front was an issue but these days we are well past that

Well said. My mate's FK8 Civic Type R is ~320bhp standard and would absolutely destroy my 911.

Thank you, and yeah it's pretty mad what they can do with higher powered fwd cars these days, but there's always that one person that sticks with the fwd is useless over 200bhp bullshit.. I mean the MK2 focus rs is 305 standard and people have pushed them past 400 and they are still useable

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 02 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but overcooking it on a RWD car is perfectly acceptable as you can just call it a "drift missile" Wink

colin93
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:57 - 02 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Ah, but overcooking it on a RWD car is perfectly acceptable as you can just call it a "drift missile" Wink

True, I do like rwd, first rwd car I ever drove was my mates r33 skyline gtst, that was fun, I just love how well the at takes corners on the back roads, plus that 5 pot sounds the bollocks

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 02 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin93 wrote:

True, I do like rwd, first rwd car I ever drove was my mates r33 skyline gtst, that was fun, I just love how well the at takes corners on the back roads, plus that 5 pot sounds the bollocks

I had an R32 GTS-t with ~250bhp, rolling on sticky rubber shod GTR rims, aligned on Tein suspension and with a 330mm Brembo big brake conversion fitted with Ferodo DS2500's. I don't think for a moment I'd have been able to make it keep with a decent ST through the naughtier backroads unless I wanted to really swing my testes on the unsafe side of their panties.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this Bodytard's annual visit?

ಠ_ಠ

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 05 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:
Is this Bodytard's anal visit?

FTFY

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 06 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
FretGrinder wrote:
Is this Bodytard's anal visage?

FTFY

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

400N
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:37 - 06 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont you just love forums for the "diversity", but surely we all love bikes even if we cant agree on which ones are best

Anyhow, my 5 peneth, I ran a Stuart Royle tuned GSXR1100J as my "daily commuter" for a number of years - possibly as impractical as a Harley and certainly exciting in bad weather

For the cost of a decent set of waterproofs (or fixing the corrosion on your pride and joy) you can get a winter hack bike, old Hondas were my preference - the 400N was probably my favourite, cheap as chips and seemed to last forever even though the engine bearings rattle something awful

My top tips for winter riding: Add a chain luber. Add wiring for heated gloves and get a decent set of winter gear (and a winter hack helmet). Hose off filth and check the bike weekly (esp chain, tyres and bulbs)

Stuff that didnt work for me: Leaving bike outside all year attracts more filth and too much attention, eventually got a decent cover
RebLinn This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:23 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a commute? Haven't done one of those in 12 months. Good job i like the look of the cars / bikes we have because that's pretty much all that i've done with any of them!!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 89 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3