Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

riding a motorcycle all year round in the uk?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin93 wrote:
First off the reason I revisited is because I'm looking at getting another bike and seeing what others recommend on here, I like Harley's so I'll stick to my opinion on that one, and second "everyone knows 200bhp to the front wheels is useless" is a statement from somebody that has never driven a car with 200bhp to the front wheels. Plenty of people push the MK2 st and many other fwd cars well beyond 300bhp, I have no issues at all with torque steer and it is definitely driveable, clearly you have never driven one or you would know this, maybe 30 years ago that much power to the front was an issue but these days we are well past that

My Volvo S60 T5 was an ex-traffic motor that was putting down about 330 bhp through the front wheels and it felt crap compared to the other cars I've had with the same power but were rear wheel drive.

In case you're wondering my car history:

2005 Ford Fiesta ST (2.0 petrol) - sold,
2004 Renault Laguna (1.9 diesel) - engine ingested itself & scrapped,
1999 BMW M5 (4.9 petrol) - written off after I crashed it on a backroad,
2003 Jaguar X-Type (3.0 petrol) - scrapped,
2004 Volvo S60 (2.5 petrol) - written off by a Tesco van,
2007 BMW 750i (5.0 petrol) - sold,
2010 Jaguar XF (3.0 diesel) - currently driven

I am going to keep running my jaguar until it's first big repair, which will then take her to the great scrappy in the sky. My two favourite cars I've had were my 7 series and my current Jag. When the jag dies she will get replaced with a Tesla Model 3 performance. I am taking up commuting on a bike because it's more economical for the amount of miles that I do compared to my ancient thirsty diesel jaguar.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience of powerful cars is that it is usually more to do with moderation of input than outright power / axle delivering it.

YMMV.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Fat_Angry_Scotsman wrote:

Always wanted one of those, liked that shape of the 5 series in general but the M5 was really quite rare.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Always wanted one of those, liked that shape of the 5 series in general but the M5 was really quite rare.

The E39 M5 was the last great M5 in my opinion. My dad had an E34 M5 and it's only when I got older I appreciated how much of a gem that E34 was as the last M5 to have a hand-built engine.

Before I decided on getting the Tesla I considered an M2 or M3 and I test drove an M3 last year but the car felt absolutely soulless. I actually preferred the E65 7 series that I had over the E39 M5 though, it wasn't as fast but it was honestly like a rolling living-room.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I decided on getting the Tesla I considered an M2 or M3 and I test drove an M3 last year but the car felt absolutely soulless. I actually preferred the E65 7 series that I had over the E39 M5 though, it wasn't as fast but it was honestly like a rolling living-room.

Agreed, latest M series (and most mainstream performance cars produced now) are pretty soulless. Pops and bangs galore, but it's all artificial. Far cry from twin Webers spitting petrol. I miss my old Forester, not because it was especially quick, but that fruity flat four turbo and organic chassis was involving. My current car is quicker and on paper better in every respect, but it's numb.

E65 always struck me as a car that as a second hand buy offered a hell of a lot of kit, but a lot of risk from all that tech breaking down.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 21 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
E65 always struck me as a car that as a second hand buy offered a hell of a lot of kit, but a lot of risk from all that tech breaking down.

It's definitely a second-hand buy for me. When I got it it was already a few years old and at the time. The owner before me got the heated, cooled and massaging seats as well as the automatic blinds. Fantastic motor and absolutely sublime driver on the motorway.

At the time the 5 litres were going for less than the 4.5 litres and I am so glad I didn't get the 4.5 engine as they suffered from problems.

On my current car the 3.0 diesel jaguar it's taught me to never buy a diesel car ever again. I have had to replace both EGR valves TWICE and the alternator TWICE. Apart from that though I've not had much problems than it likes to guzzle diesel and wears down tyres fast.

Algor_Mortis
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:02 - 22 Jan 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin93 wrote:

Sadly I didn't dissolve 5 years ago, I just realised asking this question was pointless since half the answers were people trying to be funny and not been helpful at all, I got my Harley btw, had it 4 years and loved it, rode it in everything but ice and snow which we only seem to get in December round here so 11 months a year of solid riding. Eventually I would it for a good price and bought a 300bhp focus st, I will get another Harley again because I loved my old one. One thing I learned from asking this 5 years ago is to just try things for myself because very few people will actually offer you genuine advice when you need it, I tried it, bought my Harley and loved every day of it!

Glad you enjoyed it. Motorcycles are still my main and only way on transportation all year long, and I'd have answered your question seriously if I got here 5 years ago.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3