Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help someone :( DTR problem no spark

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dansaunders10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:04 - 30 Sep 2015    Post subject: Help someone :( DTR problem no spark Reply with quote

Hi everyone I'm new here thought ide ask for some help I've just bought a DTR 125 well at least I thought it was its a tdr frame from 1993 with a 1998 DTR engine in it has 4bl stamped on the engine and tdr on the frame (lookes identical to a DTR bike right it has compression I turn the key and oil light and netruel light and horn and indercaters work, I take the stand up and no spark so I buy a new one still no spark I take it out set it on the frame and still not even a glimmer to be seen so I run a earth from the battery to the coil and nothing I put my volt metre up the ht coil and it gives a reading and when I kick it I get a bigger reading I've checked the earths around the bike and seem alright so its just sat in my shed stripped down I've taken off all the plastics seat and carb and cleaned the whole carb just don't want to have to pay a mechanic 40 an houre if I don't have too I know its going to be electrical and I'm not very good with that side of things so if any one can help ide really apreshiate it guys.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 01 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Dan, try this check coils ressitance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRQ45lT2d3c
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dansaunders10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:40 - 02 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

Thank you, I will check Sunday and keep you posted Smile itching to take her out so holding time I have log book it will be running

Dansaunders10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:16 - 08 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dansaunders1000 wrote:
Val wrote:

Thank you, I will check Sunday and keep you posted Smile itching to take her out so holding time I have log book it will be running

Bought new coil still no spark Sad where do I go from here mate

FlubbaBubba
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:42 - 08 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could do with checking some of these -

Engine on/off switch
Cdi
Stator
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 09 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dansaunders1000 wrote:

See the service manual and do the ignition troubleshooting steps:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/97802497/DT125-3BN0-ME5-repair-manual#scribd

IGNITION SYSTEM
TROUBLESHOOTING
Check:

1.Sidestand switch - I know you have done it - do it again exactly as specified Very Happy
2.Neutral switch
3.Wiring connection (Ignition system)
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dansaunders10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:32 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
A common one can be the ignition pick up on the stator. If you've got a meter and a manual, check the resistance across this and the different coils on the stator too. On a TZR there is a connector with brown, red, green wires going to the stator. The manual gives you resistance limits across various combinations of these wires.

The 2 times my race TZR stopped sparing were stator and pick up coil, both diagnosed with a meter and a manual.

Thank you so very much I will give these a try soon I have the manual and a volt metre I'm a novice with electrics so I'll just take one step at a time I really want to say thanks for your time, poor bikes been in shed stripped down since I've bought it but such a beautiful 125 right to the tool box. Smile

Dansaunders10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:34 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Val"]
Dansaunders1000 wrote:

IGNITION SYSTEM
TROUBLESHOOTING
Check:

1.Sidestand switch - I know you have done it - do it again exactly as specified Very Happy
2.Neutral switch
3.Wiring connection (Ignition system)[/quote

Thank you too val will also try these also, I will check back later after I have the result's many thanks again Smile

Dansaunders10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:57 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought new coil still no spark Sad where do I go from here mate[/quote]

IGNITION SYSTEM
TROUBLESHOOTING
Check:

2.Neutral switch
3.Wiring connection (Ignition system)[/quote

Thank you too val will also try these also, I will check back later after I have the result's many thanks again Smile[/quote]

Val just to ask but I've disconnected the side stand switch and kill switch will that make any difrence to getting a spark ?

Dansaunders10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:19 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mpd72"]A common one can be the ignition pick up on the stator. If you've got a meter and a manual, check the resistance across this and the different coils on the stator too. On a TZR there is a connector with brown, red, green wires going to the stator. The manual gives you resistance limits across various combinations of these wires.

Right just tested the wires to and from the stator flywheel source coil resistance green/white to black/red Haynes says 192-288 ohms I get 2.66 when set to 20k ohms this is the lead side that goes to source coil and the others side of the lead that it unplugged from cdi side read 8.87 so even more confused so I broke it down into steps

1 disconnected side stand switch
2 disconnected kill switch
Neutral light is on and goes of when put in gear
3 fitted new ignition coil I've taken a pick as not sure if earthed it prop, bolted to frame left side earthed to other side of coil on frame and there another black wire that runs into the loom (I've got pics)
4 battery charged power valve doesn't to cleaning/test cycle
5 new spark plug
6 also there's a light blue wire that's half way down the frame just sitting there got pics
7 when kicked and volt metre is put on pick up numbers go higher

8 feel like calling a Machanic just pulling out my hair right I'm going to post all the pics I've just taken of everything I've just said also want to say big thank you for all your time and advice so far guys very much taken on board.

Dansaunders10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:26 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the pics

https://imgsrc.ru/dansaunders1000/45202748.html

Dansaunders10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:46 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dansaunders1000 wrote:

Also not sure what I did but when I put the bike into gear now the netrual light stays on ? Is any one willing to travel down to help me if any one can spear the time I will be happy to pay for help as I'm loosing the will to live Sad
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dansaunders10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:17 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK!

It's infected doofus. thanks for that!

You use a Russian site to host your photo's? FFS!

Infected not at all I was reccomended this site for ease why would I try and cause problems I'm trying to sort my bike mate simple

Dansaunders10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:18 - 12 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dansaunders1000 wrote:
mpd72 wrote:
DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK!

You use a Russian site to host your photo's? FFS!

Infected not at all I was reccomended this site for ease why would I try and cause problems I'm trying to sort my bike mate simple

If you want me to upload to an English site I will I've just clicked the link and it takes you straight to my uploads of DTR 125 pics I've worked hard to get today

Dansaunders10...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:54 - 13 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use a Russian site to host your photo's? FFS![/quote]

Infected not at all I was reccomended this site for ease why would I try and cause problems I'm trying to sort my bike mate simple[/quote]

It's got Malware on it. I clicked on the link you provided, then went to click on the rusty generator rotor photo, to be greeted by a warning popup telling me "my computer was about to blow up blah blah blah", with the voice of Stephen Hawking telling me the world was about to end unless I gave then my card details or some other bull.
Personally I'd be avoiding any site which can get infected with that sort of crap.

Personally, If I were you, I'd be getting someone in to fix your problem. It sounds like the more you are doing, the worse you are making the problem.[/quote]

That's ur advice not very good tbh thanks for your time
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1