Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BigHDTV - TV Box Review

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: BigHDTV - TV Box Review Reply with quote

I thought I'd review my BigHDTV box I bought from CaNsA last month, as quite frankly I didn't even know these things existed, and don't know why anyone would pay for movies and TV subscriptions after getting one of these.

So, the box itself can take a wired connection but also has a dongle for wireless. My wireless was pretty poor upstairs so I bought a Powerline adaptor which allowed for a wired connection. There's no set-up involved, just connect the power supply, HDMI cable to TV and away you go. Remote is a fairly standard TV remote but works well, and the box is sharp and snappy when navigating through the menus.

I use the Movie app most of the time. Nearly all of the latest film releases can be streamed in 1080p (some 3D sources as well but I don't have a 3D TV). Occasionally my internet connection goes slow, but you can just pause the film, select (for example) a 720P source and it remembers where you are in the film and allows you to resume.

The TV app, not surprisingly, has pretty much any TV series on there that you could ever want. You can drill down into series and episodes.

I haven't watched any sports on it, but you can access all of the sky sports channels, BT sport, and most of the major sports channels from the US and the rest of the world. Most are average (480P) or standard quality, and some are in 720P or full 1080 HD.

Last edited by Baffler186 on 17:36 - 18 Feb 2016; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:57 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: Re: Kodi TV Box Review Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
I [...] don't know why anyone would pay for movies and TV subscriptions after getting one of these.

https://www.gamasutra.com/features/20060830/tv01.jpg

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have XBMC (Kodi) installed on the PC (and laptop), took a few seconds to set up with the added bonus of not having to clear the memory every couple of days (and faster to find stuff with the keyboard)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator.
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:11 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one. But I don't want to pay for it.

Cansa - can you give me one if I promise to give you a raving review? You have to spend money to make money.

Accuhaler
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:27 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could just spend £35 and use old hdmu cable, eternet cable, mini usb chager and old mini/sd card make your.

and buy yourself a rpi2 with a case!

alot of reading tho

brains_t
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:20 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am happy with my box and the one from CaNsA. Needed a better option and this fitted the bill nicely. Plug and play as promised, regular updates available if you want them. Intuitive though I too found the wireless sketchy the further you get from the router but then I am due an extender to bend the signal round corners.

Only downside I can see is you will become dependent upon unlimited fibre optic broadband.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:31 - 14 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler, Brains_T
Cheers for taking the punt on these boxes, and thanks for the feedback.

I don't want to be selling stuff that people won't be happy with, so it's good to hear you're enjoying it, it is working well and it's nice and stable.

Thumbs Up

andym wrote:
I have XBMC (Kodi) installed on the PC (and laptop), took a few seconds to set up with the added bonus of not having to clear the memory every couple of days (and faster to find stuff with the keyboard)

Andy,
These boxes don't need to have the memory cache cleared as there is ample storage, unlike the android boxes which are rubbish.
The performance is pretty good, even compared to a HTPC.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:26 - 15 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Baffler, Brains_T
Cheers for taking the punt on these boxes, and thanks for the feedback.

I don't want to be selling stuff that people won't be happy with, so it's good to hear you're enjoying it, it is working well and it's nice and stable.

Thumbs Up

andym wrote:

Andy,
These boxes don't need to have the memory cache cleared as there is ample storage, unlike the android boxes which are rubbish.
The performance is pretty good, even compared to a HTPC.

I was just going with the box a friend has that needs to be cleared almost daily, but then he does have about 100 tv shows in his favourites list and clearing the cache gives him around 40% of the memory back.

Sorry I'll still stick with my PC version with 2tb storage that only needed cleared before I switched it to using the 2tb drive for caching.

That and I can't be arsed plugging another box in to the TV, even although I only have the PC in there (don't even have the aerial connected)

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:38 - 15 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
I was just going with the box a friend has that needs to be cleared almost daily, but then he does have about 100 tv shows in his favourites list and clearing the cache gives him around 40% of the memory back.

Yup, sounds like a crappy android box.
I did initially buy a few to sell, but when I installed the software I found out how slow, laggy and low spec they are.
I sent those fuckers back and got a total refund.

Rigga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 15 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are the boxes cansa? Do you need a dish too or just broadband? I've got one of those sky f5s boxes but it's shit tbh and you are only limited to sky the sky channels.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 15 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigga wrote:
How much are the boxes cansa? Do you need a dish too or just broadband? I've got one of those sky f5s boxes but it's shit tbh and you are only limited to sky the sky channels.

No need for a dish, just an internet connection.
£100 + £7 for tracked postage.
More info here:-
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=307578

I'm putting my weekly order in today at 6pm, if you want one drop me a pm.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 15 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got more CaNsA?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:27 - 15 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Got more CaNsA?

You wouldn't download an insurance policy! Shocked

Rigga
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 15 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Rigga wrote:

No need for a dish, just an internet connection.
£100 + £7 for tracked postage.
More info here:-
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=307578

I'm putting my weekly order in today at 6pm, if you want one drop me a pm.

Cheers dude I'll be in touch, my brother in law may be interested too.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 15 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading up on these things. As someone who enjoys american sports, would I be able to pick up the likes of CSN (Comcast Sportsnet) on one of these devices?

I did see on cansa's for sale thread that RTE channels are on there, handy for the hurling and Irish football. How often do these things need updating? And can they be used for subscription services like NHL gamecentre or Hockeystreams to watch the previous nights hockey (given that puck-drop is normally daft o'clock our time)

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 15 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
I've been reading up on these things. As someone who enjoys american sports, would I be able to pick up the likes of CSN (Comcast Sportsnet) on one of these devices?

I did see on cansa's for sale thread that RTE channels are on there, handy for the hurling and Irish football. How often do these things need updating? And can they be used for subscription services like NHL gamecentre or Hockeystreams to watch the previous nights hockey (given that puck-drop is normally daft o'clock our time)

Most, if not all, channels are available including the yank channels.
Your subs will prolly be cancelled after a week of using this, there is a "catch-up" for sports.

As for actually using your subs streams on the box it is most likely possible, but you would have to research that yourself.
I'm sure someone somewhere has made an addon for it.

Weekly updates if needed to refresh and update a few links, but the rest is auto-updating.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 15 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Most, if not all, channels are available including the yank channels.
Your subs will prolly be cancelled after a week of using this, there is a "catch-up" for sports.

So if I can get CSN philly on this, I can watch the previous day's games?

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:23 - 15 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a catch up service that updates regularly, as for what specific content is on there I wouldn't be able to guarantee it as it is out of my control.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 15 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair doos.

I'm definitely intrigued. Want something a bit better than freeview, but don't want to pay for it and don't want a sea of kiddies channels for the little ones to zombify in front of. I may give you a nudge nearer payday.

zico
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:12 - 15 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Sky bill is nearly £100 a month. This may well interest me as well.

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:17 - 16 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use kodi for American sports via sn, fox, cbcsn and tsn but sources work one day and not the next so do have to find new sources regularly if you want 720 or 1080, lesser quality web streams are more reliable, nhl gamecenter works on it as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 16 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth knowing Trev, cheers. Does it suffer from locked-out live games on game centre if it's being broadcast on a domestic channel (usually premier sport over here), or is there a way around it for the live games?

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 16 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Worth knowing Trev, cheers. Does it suffer from locked-out live games on game centre if it's being broadcast on a domestic channel (usually premier sport over here), or is there a way around it for the live games?

VPN is the only way round it I think but that applies to NHL GC in general, not specifically Kodi. I pay for GC and the app in Kodi works fine 99% of the time but as I dont use VPN im locked out for UK broadcast games, not normally an issue for me as I'm generally a week or two behind watching games.

If you're happy watching poor quality streams there's loads on Kodi - if you want full HD i've found paying for NHL GC is the best way to go if you want to watch hockey.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 16 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll happily pay for a subscription if there's no other way to watch decent streams of the games. The last 2 seasons I've paid for hockeystreams as they don't black-out any games (handy for the weekend matinees) and they keep the cool american adverts in too. Maybe the perfect solution would be hockeystreams through kodi (goes off to google hockeystreams+kodi)

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 16 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just putting this out there,
On the BigHDTV boxes there are subscription services available from Ruya, Sports Donkey, Stream TVbox and Sports Mania.
I would guess the cost would be less than £5 per month, but you would have to contact the supplier directly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7