Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BigHDTV - TV Box Review

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 17 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would bump this thread after having an issue updating my box to the latest version. CaNsA has been really helpful, even sent me a microSD card reader so I can update it manually. Spent a few hours (at least) helping my retarded self get it all up and running.

Top work boss.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 17 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

paddywinz wrote:
Thought I would bump this thread after having an issue updating my box to the latest version. CaNsA has been really helpful, even sent me a microSD card reader so I can update it manually. Spent a few hours (at least) helping my retarded self get it all up and running.

Top work boss.

Happy to help, dude.

Hate your apple kit though... seriously...

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 18 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
paddywinz wrote:

Top work boss.

Happy to help, dude.

Hate your apple kit though... seriously...

Thankfully Windows is running in a VM now....

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 28 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are the prices on these? i know i can get a pi2 that he uses + remote and the kodi on it for about £35 if i buy myself but to save hassle and all.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:06 - 28 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Vtr wrote:
what are the prices on these? i know i can get a pi2 that he uses + remote and the kodi on it for about £35 if i buy myself but to save hassle and all.

If the kit you are looking costs £35 then the peripherals will be shitty unreliable bits of kit that i have already tested and found to be crap, and you certainly don't get lifetime unlimited access to my servers in order to update the software.

However, going off recent happenings... your eye for quality is piss poor.

If only it was possible to hear a crack in an engine casing, maybe you would have bodged fixed it.
Hahadumball This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 28 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Vtr wrote:
CaNsA wrote:

If only it was possible to hear a crack in an engine casing, maybe you would have bodged fixed it.

agreed really, i did miss the "crack" im yet to see pics of but benefit of the doubt and all that.

whats so special about your pi2?

just get a pi2 and buy the beast for a year be the same thing, i can put up with looking fpr a few more mins for a good source and save £70

Lol. Good luck with that option and it's limited access, limited downloads and updates, unreliable servers, sketchy support at best.

But hey, it's not like there is a review thread about the kit I sell.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 28 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont see what youre getting at really?
you flounced from chat because i got fed up with you bawwing like a little girl when i mention pi2 or kodi because you fear a loss of sales?

everytime others mention doing this you shoot them down and try to destroy the competition by trolling them.

think very hard about what youre doing before trying to take the moral high ground

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:59 - 28 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Vtr wrote:
think very hard about what youre doing before trying to take the moral high ground

That's rich, coming from a guy who knowingly ripped someone off.

But if you want to start with the pointless threats, I wonder what would happen if I sent BCF chat logs to Natasha?

Quote:
[20:47:45] [+BCF] Paul Vtr: i met some girl off tinder last week, she was such a slut Very Happy

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 28 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Paul Vtr wrote:

That's rich, coming from a guy who knowingly ripped someone off.

But if you want to start with the pointless threats, I wonder what would happen if I sent BCF chat logs to Natasha?

Quote:
[20:47:45] [+BCF] Paul Vtr: i met some girl off tinder last week, she was such a slut Very Happy

i dno, she would probably say "hahaha that didnt take him long to tell me"

because she was there when i typed it Very Happy

next?
CaNsA This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 28 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

but in all seriousness

pi2 kits are £54 and you dont own the add on.. you cant say when itll go down, the owner could close it tomorrow if he wanted and all your buyers would have a paperweight

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Vtr wrote:
but in all seriousness

Rolling Eyes

Paul Vtr wrote:
pi2 kits are £54 and you dont own the add on.. you cant say when itll go down, the owner could close it tomorrow if he wanted and all your buyers would have a paperweight

My software is established and stable.

Maybe your comments about my software would be better suited after you have used it.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:44 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

Maybe your comments about my software would be better suited after you have used it.

You mean someone elses software you put onto a raspberry pi2 and make profit from?

someone elses software YOU have no control over.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:05 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Vtr wrote:
CaNsA wrote:

You mean someone elses software you put onto a raspberry pi2 and make profit from?

someone elses software YOU have no control over.

I have my own software which my customers use, and report good things.

You would know this if you were still in the Facebook group that I had to ban you from because you were being a dick.

Once again, commenting on things that you know nothing about.

Paul, go troll someone else.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't think CaNsA charges too much (£100) for a box at all.
Having been doing this same thing for a good while, I can explain the charge and why it's low.
Cost of equipment would be around £50, then add to that the time involved flashing the kit, installing the OS and the software and testing (upwards of one hour) for each box. Then we have the R+D of the software, I know I have spent hundreds of hours getting my software build right for public use (simplicity), then the cost of hosting update servers and the time having to keep the files updated to latest builds.
We can then add the cost of support, I try to build so that there is minimal support, as if I have to connect to a box to fix it for 30 mins, that is profit being eaten into, so if you have a customer that is having issues beyond your control from the build stage, then an hour or two and that £50 profit has been well and truly eaten up.
It's not quite the same as buying a box, putting the beast on it and giving it to a customer to look after themselves, as this could all be done for £50 to your door. The real value is in the ongoing support and guarantee that the device will be working well into 2017 and beyond.

£100 is cheap, if you don't agree, go buy an Ebay android box and take the risk that it will 1, work and 2, keep working.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you sell them too jay? i guess cansa has more competition he can try and destroy Very Happy

ajag
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:25 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I have not seen Cansa trying to destroy the competition. All he has done is tell people who want his hard work for free to go do one (and rightly so).

As Jay mentioned, time costs money. Actually, time is the most precious commodity out there considering how busy everyone is at all times and how limited it is. How much does a mechanic, a plumber or an electrician charge per hour? Why is it different when it is a software engineer?

This applies to everything really. I bought a new motorcycle because I could not afford the time it could potentially take to get a used one going without issues. Sure, there is a depreciation on my bike but for me the time save is more valuable.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Vtr wrote:
so you sell them too jay? i guess cansa has more competition he can try and destroy Very Happy

Yes I do, but I don't sell them online or advertise, I sell pretty much locally with no advertising, just word of mouth recommendations.

I have no desire to step on CaNsA's toes here, I was only wondering what hardware he was using as I was looking into using a pi as hardware, but he rightly refused my prying into his setup. I was just hoping that we could share resources, but it's no drama, business is business.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:43 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleeping

inb4 f&fw

If CaNsA's tv boxes are too expensive then don't buy one. If £35 ones are too poo then don't buy one.

People on BCF are in a pretty good position in terms of getting help with any Kodi related problems.

Pol see a doctor about your rage problems.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:30 - 07 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering one of these, getting rid of the virgin media TV subscription because Tivo is shit. My freeview signal is awful, and freesat looks to lack channels.

How do these boxes perform for normal day to day TV - just watching the news on BBC1, that sort of thing. Any lag in changing channels?

Is this reliable enough to replace my virgin TV box without also needing to get freeview or freesat working?

Asimo
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:48 - 17 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these boxes and its been running fine mostly. Theres been a couple issues which Cansa has helped resolve quickly.

Last problem I had was with an update but that was nothing to do with the box, just my wifi is crap and I had to run a cable to get it to download the update properly.

Also if the various apps get shut down then theres not a lot you can do and thats outside of Cansa's control as he mentioned in another thread.

If you're wondering if £100 is too much to pay for one then install kodi on your PC and play about with it. Then decide if it does what you want before forking out money.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 17 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
I'm considering one of these, getting rid of the virgin media TV subscription because Tivo is shit. My freeview signal is awful, and freesat looks to lack channels.

How do these boxes perform for normal day to day TV - just watching the news on BBC1, that sort of thing. Any lag in changing channels?

Is this reliable enough to replace my virgin TV box without also needing to get freeview or freesat working?

I wouldn't suggest it should replace live TV, if that's your thing. I have freeview and use that for "Live TV" if ever. But most of the stuff I watch; TV shows and films etc are all on demand so you can watch what you want, whenever you want.

If I want background stuff on the TV, I always go onto that cartoon one and put on the random 5 cartoons. Good classic tom and jerry and the likes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 21 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:

Got rid of virgin media about a year and a half ago and never looked back, a kodi running device, whatever it may be, has provided all the required entertainment. There are live tv addons, on the whole they work fine, have their moments sometimes but nothing to get bothered about.

Given that you can access virtually any tv show or movie on demand, the actual need for Live TV is minimal at best.

GhostRider
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 23 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have setup similar on my Amazon HD, I R Heathen Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 29 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7