Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki GSX-S1000 & GSX-S1000F

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 24 Oct 2015    Post subject: Suzuki GSX-S1000 & GSX-S1000F Reply with quote

any one own one of these or taken a test ride ?

seen some examples for sale round here and i must say i`m tempted to trade in the MT-09 ..

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 24 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The S1000 certainly looks like a decent bike, it's the first Suzuki that's piqued my interest for quite a while.

blueglue
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:43 - 24 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

i traded my MT09 for a GSX-S 1000.

Best choice i ever made. Has a much comfier seat and is better weighted over the front wheel (even with the same s**t D214 Dunlops). When the revs kick in a 6k revs the 145 bhp lets itself known the induction roar is cool and the standard exhaust is pretty good really. Some would say they should have left the old K5 engine like it was in the GSXR but having ridden both this is definately set up right for an upright naked. Shame them binned the titanium internals but i suppose the better mid torque will make up for up.
Some people have complained of a snatchy throttle but it seems only a small minority. I find coming from the jerky MT09 the GSXS is a breeze. The only problem i have had is the laquer on the fuel tank rubbed through with my right knee. I had the whole tank replaced under warranty. As you can see from the pic below ive had the tank protectors fitted.

i did 4k on the MT09 and ive just done 1.5k on my GSXS in 6 weeks and loving every minute of it.

https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/members/blueglue-albums-gsxs-1000-picture1377-ermax-seat-cowl-passenger-foot-pegs-removed.jpg

blueglue
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:52 - 24 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

also worth a venture on here

https://www.gsxs1000.org/forum/

Doomsnite
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:51 - 25 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they proper upright or just like a naked sportsbike?

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 25 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doomsnite wrote:
Are they proper upright or just like a naked sportsbike?

imo .. proper upright since the engine has been altered to suit..the fully faired has had some suspension tweeks to compensate for the fairing effects on the bike... both putting out around the 145 bhp mark.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 25 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueglue wrote:
i traded my MT09 for a GSX-S 1000.

i`m off next week .. gonna "Van" the yam to the dealership and talk monies .. he has two.. one faired and one naked both has caught my eye ..and no mt-09 in his showroom... Thinking

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 25 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightly used S1000R for similar money as a new GSX-S.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 25 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't see the point. It's not like the GSXR has a radical riding position and also comes with the benefit of a fairing, better chassis and moar powah.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:55 - 25 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. GSX-R1000 is only a bit more expensive, much quicker, but still comfortable. Of if you really want a naked, then an S1000R is also only a bit more expensive (and much more modern). Also plenty of Tuono V4 APRC bikes with low mileage for £1-2k less than the Suzuki. Personally, I'd take the BMW for looks, or the Tuono for performance.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 25 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Yep. GSX-R1000 is only a bit more expensive, much quicker, but still comfortable. Of if you really want a naked, then an S1000R is also only a bit more expensive (and much more modern). Also plenty of Tuono V4 APRC bikes with low mileage for £1-2k less than the Suzuki. Personally, I'd take the BMW for looks, or the Tuono for performance.

I've never rode a Tuono but after sitting on one, I wouldn't want to. Not exactly comfortable, and if it shares its tank with the RSV4 the range will be tiny too.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 25 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'1 and I have to admit that I find the Tuono wanting for legroom. Either the pegs are too high or the seat too low, but I find knees foul the top of the 'cut outs' in the tank, which isn't ideal. I find the upper body position perfectly comfortable. But the engine is brilliant, and it genuinely rides and handles like a superbike. If it fits you, it's probably the best of the super naked bunch IMO.

Range will be 100 miles to the warning light, or thereabouts. Which is fine IMO!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 25 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how this compares to my Fazer with it's current set-up. There's a guy on the Fazer forum talking about swapping for one of these, but he's done a lot to upgrade his Fazer too, so not sure he'll be that much better off. Only a gnat's more power, and I think mine and his suspension mods are probably better than on the standard Suzuki. What do they weigh in at?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blueglue
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:01 - 26 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wanted the GSXR so i do get the fanboy question of not seeing the point. Laughing

It's not like i walked in the dealership and went woo-ah im not paying a grand extra for that!
I ride quite a lot and at 6'2" and 30+ the riding position on the GSXR IS a lot different and bad for long rides. I pretty much rolled off it after an extended test ride hence why my last two bikes have been upright Yammies. I just hoped my dreams of going all MotoGP would be enough but i realised im not built for sportsbikes.
After test riding both the 'S' was so much nicer in lean, foot position and in my back from having my head more upright.

Choice was down to a GSXS or Z1000 in the end soley for riding position, but the faired 'S' version looks odd like a faired bandit or SV (like an after thought) so i decided naked for looks over practicality. The handlebars are also Renthal fatboys so i think it was love at first sight. Mr. Green

Naked all the way and 145 horses is nutts for a naked as you tend to get pulled off past 130. Also has the iconic K5 engine detuned for more naked fun.

Comparing it with the iconic GSXR is a bit school boy if you ask me.

BMW is definitely an option though as it comes with loads of upgrade option too.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 27 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

well here is how it went down ... i went into the susuki dealership and they refused to give me a price on either GSX.. point blank .. already got two mt-09 in .....

patronising like... try selling private ... give us your number and we`ll ring later... yeah right Rolling Eyes

pops into the honda .. we`ll knock a grand off the list price but no extras.. ie.. exhaust etc.

so CB1000F ABS here i come ..

honda tend to have a smooth flat linear power out put which will suit me...

i know the susuki would be more sporting but the throttle responce was putting me off some what.
There was a long thread on the forum, some seem not to be troubled some do, since the bike will primarily be used for "kicking around the doors" in an urban traffic / street environment the extra speed would be of no benefit & a smooth throttle responce will..
Frankly much over motorway speeds on a naked rapidly becomes hard work for me any way...

£76.21 to change the insurance over i can live with that .. Thumbs Up

thanks for your input. Thumbs Up

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 27 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice choice. Thumbs Up

Bit down on power compared to the GSX but probably handles just as well. Looks better IMO too with the SS swingarm, although the light unit is a bit odd.

Did you get the 0% deal too?

BTW, that's a CB1000R, not F

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:36 - 28 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always liked those but never wangled a go on one. Appeals to my inner Hornet fan.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 28 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
Nice choice. Thumbs Up

Bit down on power compared to the GSX but probably handles just as well. Looks better IMO too with the SS swingarm, although the light unit is a bit odd.

Did you get the 0% deal too?

BTW, that's a CB1000R, not F

Yes front does looks a "bit Iron man" Thinking

130 bhp to 145 bhp .. 138mph to 150mph something i can live with Thumbs Up

CB1000R ABS .. i stand corrected .. Laughing

paying 0% interest .. Thumbs Up

and will need a rentec sports rack at some point soon .. Dance!

blueglue
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:13 - 28 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
well here is how it went down ... i went into the susuki dealership and they refused to give me a price on either GSX.. point blank .. already got two mt-09 in .....

patronising like... try selling private ... give us your number and we`ll ring later... yeah right Rolling Eyes

pops into the honda .. we`ll knock a grand off the list price but no extras.. ie.. exhaust etc.

so CB1000F ABS here i come ..

honda tend to have a smooth flat linear power out put which will suit me...

i know the susuki would be more sporting but the throttle responce was putting me off some what.
There was a long thread on the forum, some seem not to be troubled some do, since the bike will primarily be used for "kicking around the doors" in an urban traffic / street environment the extra speed would be of no benefit & a smooth throttle responce will..
Frankly much over motorway speeds on a naked rapidly becomes hard work for me any way...

£76.21 to change the insurance over i can live with that .. Thumbs Up

thanks for your input. Thumbs Up

In fact im not even mad Laughing

So how was the test ride compared to the MT09?

Id considered it but another MT09 owner on the forums said it was less responsive!??!
https://mt09.motorcycle-talk.com/forum/2014-yamaha-mt-09-fz-09-reviews/3068-mt09-cb1000r.html

My god father had one of these for several months and the styling is right in the ball park. He owned one about 4 years back and said it was a good bike but eventually sold it for something a bit more spritely.
Shame it was all down to a crappy dealership though. Fortunately my dealer is a yammy and suzi dealership so they just snatched my MT09 off me for 6k.

The main thing is though is never take someones advise off the internet. Just go out and buy what you like Mr. Green

Make sure you stick some pics up when you get it Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 28 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

blueglue wrote:

The main thing is though is never take someones advise off the internet. Just go out and buy what you like Mr. Green

This is the thing, isn't it. You can get some useful info. from those who have owned the bikes you're considering, and some advice on where to buy, pitfalls to avoid. But the actual choice of model can only be down to the buyer. Very personal thing, bike choice!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 28 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

i`ll tell on thursday .. cos thats when i collect it..

i read loads from different sources & people .. they were all telling the same story about both bikes ..
i`ve had hondas before and the power delivery was the same then as it is described now ...

buying any thing is some what a leap of faith ..
i have tried a Ducati V twin too snatchy & Lumpy in lower revs and gears..
and don`t get me started about the maintanance schedule.. ie belts.
a yamaha tripple was waitin for it to spin up every time i took it out ... its true what they say about the torque on those things but i could not relax even under 5k rpm..
neither suited my ridin style ..

now i`m back to In Line Four .. just want some thing i can pleb around on really and not have to think about ridin it .. but just get on and go.

jpg.s to follow sure .. Thumbs Up

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 29 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday came and off i went in me van..

showed me insurance certificate.. some paperwork and computer form filling and the bike was registered in my name and taxed in an instant..

Only 2 keys with a honda.. thought it would be 3..

I even had a choice of reg. number.. well the last letter anyway cos they were almost identical..

time to take bike home..
it had started raining again... Embarassed

my hart was in me mouth loading a brand new bike up a wet metal ramp...
anyway no issues or mishaps even in the A1 metro center traffic jam road works....

in the garage now connected to a battery conditioner..
hey-ho hope its dry and reasonably warm this week-end..

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 29 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love black and red bikes. They are always, without exception, much faster than any other colour Wink Thumbs Up

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 29 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the look of those.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:31 - 29 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate the headlight. It looks like a hole to stuff some sausage in to, like its accepting cock.

I can't say I like the litre Honda IL4s... a little too linear but horses for courses Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2