Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Best Cycling lights & Gear under £100

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:52 - 02 Nov 2015    Post subject: Best Cycling lights & Gear under £100 Reply with quote

Both of my bikes are off the road at the moment and look like it's going be a while before they are road functioning. So I'm switching to push bike easier on my commute than walking.

However at the moment I've got really cheap lights on it wondering what you guys recommended.

Also going have to get some waterproofs and I've been told a helmet (don't normally wear one).

So just after suggestions.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:26 - 02 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Brite-R Vier headlight... around £35 and it's very powerful. It has a separate battery pack that lasts in the region of 5-6 hours on full beam, although half-power is easily enough on lit roads.

I get my other cycling gear from Decathlon... good choice, good prices.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:41 - 02 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a fair few who use the solarstorm lights that you get from ebay,they use them without any issues and they are top notch with how well they light the road up.

I'm also using cheap lights at the moment and I'll be purchasing a set in the next week or two for night time rides and early morning commutes.

They all cost roughly £15-£25 posted so you can't go wrong at that.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/U2-LED-Mountain-Bike-Light-SolarStorm-Bicycle-Cycle-Torch-Headlamp-5000-6200LM-/262063606437?var=&hash=item3d04354aa5:m:m2BYsEBelXD30tSGLFf61sg

As for gear,I usually buy from Ebay or from a for sale page on Facebook,some top quality stuff at a fraction of the cost.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:57 - 02 Nov 2015    Post subject: Re: Best Cycling lights & Gear under £100 Reply with quote

Search for 'T6' on ebay.
If you want really bright and don't mind it on the bars, go for one with 5 -7 LEDs with a separate rechargeable pack.

Consider supplementing that with a single T6 headtorch.

If you're not cycling hard (ie not getting too sweaty), I'd just wear a motorcycle jacket.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 04 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies I'm going for this as a head torch, my commute is 2.5miles each way. The majority is on a 50 limit unlit road.

Going order this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181856403570

Now I've got to find a good back light. Any suggestions on that?

Currently the one I'm using is like the one below however it doesn't provide the lines only a tiny led light.

https://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/JMAAAOxyA9dSV3eb/s-l225.jpg

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 04 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear lights are ten-a-penny. I just get a couple of cheap ones at a time - if/when one fails, attach the next (which has the same mount, so quick win). I can't see any advantage in an expensive rear light as the cheap ones are bright enough, have enough flash modes and actually rarely fail.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 04 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a cree led with separate recharging pack several years ago from a bike shop in NZ and it is absolutely fantastic... brighter than the headlights on my car, but not as wide illumination.

Thats a single LED and several years old, so one of the ones with multiple LEDs now will be a big improvement I'm sure. Looking at getting one soon for my mountain bike, especially as it gets dark early now so want to make sure the trails are lit up well.

Rear lights are not so important, you need them to be visible, but if they're too bright they're counter-productive as they just dazzle and then it's hard (for drivers) to determine their distance from it, something that flashes whilst staying continuously lit is best imo. Or two rear lights, one continuously on, another on flashing mode.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 22:45 - 04 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:

Don't if you haven't already.
The single ones are better (I've got both), or a dual one with two decent reflectors is even better.

If you want to medium-blind people at the back, go for one that states 0.5w. 1w and above for decent blinding.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 08 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most rear lights are rubbish. 3 little led's are not enough for dark unlit roads where there is a very large speed difference between bike and cars, and worse if theres any rain or fog.. Mine is currently made up of one of these www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291187146302 glued onto alu plate and the lens of a cheap 3 led flasher bicycle light. I run it about 3w power using a cheap XL6009.

Rear light you want big area, large light source and a lens to defuse it, opposite to the front where you want a tiny light source and a lens to throw it a good distance.

It would be nice if this existed on ebay, but it does not. ebay now has fake cree listings using this style large white LED for a front light which will be utter rubbish.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:06 - 08 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Mine is currently made up of one of these www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291187146302 glued onto alu plate and the lens of a cheap 3 led flasher bicycle light. I run it about 3w power using a cheap XL6009.

I've wondered about doing something like this myself with cheap bright single LEDs.

Also that you can pretty cheaply get high wattage white LEDs for the front.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 15 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear led is about equal to a motorbike light from a good distance, although bit smaller.. two or three would be ideal. I got some orange ones I might use for indicators. They are very good for being seen.

High wattage of this type are no good for the front. First they are too large and wont throw any distance. Secondly if you do focus them you'll get 9 blue points surrounded by yellow glow. On average they are white/warm white, but not when focused.. the phosphor is a bit shit. Cree xml and similar are still much better for front lighting headlights.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 136 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1