Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wheel hub cracked

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:20 - 20 Oct 2015    Post subject: Wheel hub cracked Reply with quote

Have been over a few potholes recently.... nothing that i would have thought could cause this to happen though! the bike is only 6 months old, do you think this should be covered by warranty?

https://stowelly.co.uk/hub.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:45 - 20 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't have expected it with a three cross lacing. Heard of that kind of thing happening with radial spokes due to the consistant force pulling in one direction, but yours don't do that.

Interesting in that it's ripped out both a leading and a trailing spoke.

Has the chain ever overshifted off the top and jammed down the back of the casette?

Looks like a material failure to me and I'd definately be taking it back on a 6 month old bike. If they say you've been abusing it, I'd be interested to know in what way they'd suggest it was possible to do that without also damaging the rim (and given you have aero spokes, I'm assuming it's a road bike).

Where they might have you is if you didn't take it in for its "shakedown" service which many bike shops recommend for new bikes. Not that I'd expect many to true and tension your wheels as part of that.

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:41 - 20 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Wouldn't have expected it with a three cross lacing. Heard of that kind of thing happening with radial spokes due to the consistant force pulling in one direction, but yours don't do that.

Interesting in that it's ripped out both a leading and a trailing spoke.

Has the chain ever overshifted off the top and jammed down the back of the casette?

Looks like a material failure to me and I'd definately be taking it back on a 6 month old bike. If they say you've been abusing it, I'd be interested to know in what way they'd suggest it was possible to do that without also damaging the rim (and given you have aero spokes, I'm assuming it's a road bike).

Where they might have you is if you didn't take it in for its "shakedown" service which many bike shops recommend for new bikes. Not that I'd expect many to true and tension your wheels as part of that.

nope, chain has never done that. and i did take it in for the 6 week check that they do as well.... didnt do much apart from adjust the gears.

is Evans cycles, so hopefully i wont get fucked about too much as you would expect from a less reputable place.... but, will see!

thanks, didnt think i could have caused that from a pothole, would have expected a puncture / dented rim if that was the case!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:59 - 20 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

What wheels have you got?

Are the spokes evenly tensioned on the other wheel?

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:42 - 20 Oct 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelset
Vera Corsa DPM27, Double Wall, 24/28h, Formula Road Hubs

Hubs
24/28h, Formula Road Hubs

Seems OK on the other wheel. Only tested with fingers, but seems even all the way round

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:21 - 17 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got this sorted, the guy was a bit shitty with me, and the took a few weeks to sort a replacement, but i got a new wheel off them.

3 miles later, a van decided to try and mount my bike....

https://stowelly.co.uk/wheel.jpg

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 14:16 - 17 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:01 - 17 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hub's not cracked though?

Still got the old one to do a rim transplant?

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:34 - 17 Nov 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

its in the shop at the moment, the van guy is paying, so will leave it for him to sort out

cheers though
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1