Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommend me a 125c bike with great mpg

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Recommend me a 125c bike with great mpg Reply with quote

Thinking of getting a 125cc bike to help cut costs mainly want the best reliability and highest mpg and can do a decent 60 mph on motorways

been researching on the bikes below but its hard making that choice as theres so much choice

Just curious on which is the best to go for out of the following

Yamaha YBR 125
Honda CB125F
Honda CBF125
Yamaha SR125
Honda CG 125
Yamaha R125
Honda CBR 125

The Honda CBF125 valve clearance check every 2.5k miles is kinda off putting

honda varadero 125 is too big for me as im only 5"3 and ill never be able to get my feet on the ground

KnightsFall
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:08 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

If fuel efficiency is one of your main criteria, I'd suggest having a look here for some real world figures:

https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle

Most 125s should be pretty solid in terms of MPG though. A YBR will likely do 110+.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 5'3, you may want to try sitting on some to see how they feel. Mrs bamt is a similar perfect size, she loved her YBR125 Custom which has quite a low seat height.

Be aware that depending upon what your situation is, biking may not actually save much money; there is the bike, insurance, all the kit, regular maintenance etc. But it is a lot more fun than the car!

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a 125c bike with great mpg Reply with quote

woo wrote:
Thinking of getting a 125cc bike to help cut costs mainly want the best reliability and highest mpg and can do a decent 60 mph on motorways

been researching on the bikes below but its hard making that choice as theres so much choice

Just curious on which is the best to go for out of the following

Yamaha YBR 125
Honda CB125F
Honda CBF125
Yamaha SR125
Honda CG 125
Yamaha R125
Honda CBR 125

The Honda CBF125 valve clearance check every 2.5k miles is kinda off putting

honda varadero 125 is too big for me as im only 5"3 and ill never be able to get my feet on the ground

If you are looking for cheapness and 60 then you might as well rule out the CG, SR and R125 already.

The Cg and SR/GN won't do the guaranteed 60 you are likely looking at 50-55 top end if you are lucky. Get a hill and you are buggered.

The R125 with servicing constantly I wouldn't it won't be worth the fuel savings.

Personally I'd be looking at the varadero if you have to have it lowered. Or a scooter the PCX125 will do the speed, great on fuel not that bad on the road.

KnightsFall
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:29 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and regarding valve clearance, I believe the Yamaha 125s tend to need them every service as well, though they are around 3.5k instead of 2.5 so there is that. If you don't feel that you can service yourself, have a word with dealers about their costs. I'd be surprised if it varies much for the usual suspect commuters at least. The higher end ones might cost you a bit more in some areas such as tyres though.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

KnightsFall
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:43 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGs1 wrote:
KnightsFall wrote:
Oh and regarding valve clearance, I believe the Yamaha 125s tend to need them every service as well, though they are around 3.5k instead of 2.5 so there is that. If you don't feel that you can service yourself, have a word with dealers about their costs. I'd be surprised if it varies much for the usual suspect commuters at least. The higher end ones might cost you a bit more in some areas such as tyres though.

I never once checked the valves on my 125 Varadero I can't remember how many miles it had done but it was above 50K.

I'll bet that most people ignore valve clearance checks.

I assumed the OP was talking about going by the book. I've not tried self servicing myself to date either but I'm sure it's worth learning how.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for a Honda PCX125 instead personally. There's no reason if MPG is important to have a YBR125 over a PCX, and even a thrashed PCX125 should do over 130mpg, and the stop/start system can be turned off if it gets too annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:

Be aware that depending upon what your situation is, biking may not actually save much money; there is the bike, insurance, all the kit, regular maintenance etc. But it is a lot more fun than the car!

Lul wut??

Just the savings difference between bike insurance and car insurance would be enough to pay pretty much all of that bar the bike. For older people your statement might be true, but for youngins - no chance.

Maintenance on 125s (ie a basic 4 stroke engine) is pretty much just oil changes, chain adjustment and tappet-style valve clearances. Things that any 17 year old can do, with some basic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

forgot to mention i currently have a GSXR 1000 K6 so putting that away for a while and the 125 is for journeys to a new job which is a 50 mile round trip every day and i happy with a 55mph top speed as i have a 15 min stint on the motorway

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 20:25 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd look in to scooters if I were you woo. Are you heading through London or straight out south?

Youre also restricting yourself to over inflated prices by getting a 125. I'd be looking at 250/300/400 capacity bikes myself to avoid this and still get good MPG. Honda CB250RS does about 80mph and meant to be around 70MPG with about 25bhp.

Low seat height and weight. Might be worth a look.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda vision and Suzuki address both say 145 mpg

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between real world cost at mpg level at that sort of mpg is so small unless you did a million miles you'd be hard pushed to notice it. You'd lose what you gain if the tyres were 20 quid dearer.

Spreadsheet time.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:55 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

smegballs wrote:
bamt wrote:

Lul wut??

Just the savings difference between bike insurance and car insurance would be enough to pay pretty much all of that bar the bike. For older people your statement might be true, but for youngins - no chance.

Key bit is "depending upon what your situation is". Irrelevant now for the OP, but if the situation was to buy a bike and use it for commuting whilst leaving the car at home as it uses 1/4 of the fuel it may not save money. Similarly a bike rather than a train season ticket may not save money when everything is taken into account.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously wouldn't have any desire to do a 50 mile round trip every day on a 125. A 250 will still give you healthy mpg returns and have enough poke to at least cope with the odd squirt.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:11 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a 125c bike with great mpg Reply with quote

Have you tried riding the GSXR at 125cc 4 stroke speeds?

Might find that at those speeds the difference in economy is a bit closer, to the point you'd actually be losing money buying the 125cc.

Normally for two-bike solutions, but doesn't always make sense.

A bit closer, but someone on here rode a GPZ500s at c90 speeds... and got c90 fuel economy.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a 125c bike with great mpg Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:

Personally I'd be looking at the varadero if you have to have it lowered. Or a scooter the PCX125 will do the speed, great on fuel not that bad on the road.

The shadow 125 uses the same engine as the vara but in a mini cruiser

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi aka Reuben wrote:
I'd look in to scooters if I were you woo. Are you heading through London or straight out south?

Youre also restricting yourself to over inflated prices by getting a 125. I'd be looking at 250/300/400 capacity bikes myself to avoid this and still get good MPG. Honda CB250RS does about 80mph and meant to be around 70MPG with about 25bhp.

Low seat height and weight. Might be worth a look.

This really.

I had a real problem going from many years of riding non sports 900+ bikes, then getting a 250 Superdream, thinking it would OK as a commuter.

If you don't have to, why restrict yourself to 11kW, when you can have more usable grunt with little or no fuel penalty?

Even if I had no intention of ever going over 60mph, for a 50 mile all weather commute, I would want some protection, decent acceleration, comfort, low maintainance, good fuel mileage, ease of riding (rearrange those criteria to any order you want).

Burgman, X9, X Max, anything like that, 250+

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'd go for a Honda PCX125 instead personally. There's no reason if MPG is important to have a YBR125 over a PCX, and even a thrashed PCX125 should do over 130mpg, and the stop/start system can be turned off if it gets too annoying.

Pcx has 3000 mile service intervals

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 01 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much motorway speed do you intend to do on a 125? I go through periods of doing 80 mile a day around the m25 on a 125 4 stroke, mostly sitting at 50-60mph and I definitely do not get the same fuel economy as I do when I sit at 40 mph on London major A roads. Depends on how fast the non motorway roads are.

I will agree with G if you intend to do a lot of 55mph riding.
Fidge This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:12 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
A 250 will still give you healthy mpg returns and have enough poke to at least cope with the odd squirt.

I only hold my GN at 55 for any kind of sustained distance. It could physically achieve 60+ but the revs are too high for my liking and my mechanical sympathy takes over.

Where you do notice the difference though over a 125 is any kind of hill, the 250 will pull up them and stay in 5th, whereas you'd be down-shifting on a 125.

C1REX
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:57 - 02 Dec 2015    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a 125c bike with great mpg Reply with quote

G wrote:

A bit closer, but someone on here rode a GPZ500s at c90 speeds... and got c90 fuel economy.

I've heard that somebody did the same with NC700 automatic and managed over 100mpg.

BT23 or PR1&2 should last for 12000 miles rear and 16000 front.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3