Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cycling to beat pancreatic cancer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:02 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Cycling to beat pancreatic cancer Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Sadly I lost my mother to this horrible disease on the 29th November after almost a year of fighting it. She's a fighter, a true gem, a one off.

She was originally given 3 months but she carried on,it never changed her and tbh she did really well until the final week where she deteriorated.

I had previously thought about doing some sort of challenge next year to raise money for the charity - pancreatic cancer Scotland. But I moved away from the idea as I was concentrating more on my speed,fitness and climbing ability.

But after my mums passing I decided it was back on and I've added 2 more challenges to the mix.

The first challenge which was the original one is to cycle 12,000 miles in one year,I'll need to cycle 32.7 miles per day average as its a leap year.

The second challenge is Lejog,which I'm doing unaided and solo. The plan for this is to do it via the Deloitte route which makes it roughly 960 miles over 9 days. I'll be doing this in and around April time.

And the last challenge is a 24hr event which will be at Knockhill and that'll be later on in here year.

I have a page on Facebook that I've set up so if anyone wants to go and like it and follow my progress,I'll use it for updates etc. The page is " cycling to beat pancreatic cancer " and if anyone wants to follow me on Strava just search William Gerry and you'll find me,I always follow back as well.

There's a link to my just giving page on the Facebook page,there's no rush as it'll be all year but its much appreciated if anyone can help.

I won't let anyone down.

I also received a lovely email from pancreatic cancer Scotland and they're going to try their best to promote it as much as possible via newspapers and the likes.

Cheers

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 22 Dec 2015    Post subject: Re: Cycling to beat pancreatic cancer Reply with quote

Wull wrote:
cycle 12,000 miles in one year

Hardcore. Best of luck and Chapeau, chap! Thumbs Up

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:18 - 22 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like one hell of a challenge, put a link up I'll give you some ££.

Thumbs Up

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:28 - 22 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at rides organised by Audax UK. They are a friendly bunch with riders of all abilities (some will rattle round a 200km ride in sub-7 hours, others take the full-value 14). As you gain bike fitness there are some truly excellent longer rides, like the Bryan Chapman Memorial, going from South Wales to Anglesey and back in a weekend (370 miles with a 40 hour time limit). It's a great way to meet people who do long distances unsupported and get tips from them for your LeJog.
Sprinkle a few of these in with your normal rides to break it up a bit, and those miles will fly by!

(edit to add: 12000 miles in 366 days - that's less than 1.4 mph on average!)

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:49 - 22 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

My training of late has reduced down with regards to mileage doing roughly 100 miles per week but as of today I'm back on track.

I did a 40 miler at a relatively easy pace so I'll try and pace myself and not tire myself out, if I can get in to the swing of things just now then come the 1st I'll do a few 50 milers etc before I head back to work on the 4th of January.

https://www.justgiving.com/william-gerry/

Cheers

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:06 - 22 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep an eye on this. Did JOGLE two Septembers ago. Used this book - Link

You can get most of it from his website, but handy having the book for reference.

If you're following the deloitte route that's half the job done as you'll have a route to stick to. We went off piste and ended up doing a bit of a farm yard tour as well, which took its toll on our bodies and bikes.

Hardest days were in Devon. They know how to do rain/hills.

Nutrition is key. Work out just how much you need and a source of food you like and shovel it in. I settled on a bar or gel every 45 mins with a 750ml bottle per 20/25 miles. + a fair lunch. If you're not stopping you'll need a bar/gel every 30 mins.

Day 7 Razz
Day 9 Razz Razz - Extreme wilderness. If it wasn't soo far away I'd go back up. Tounge to Lairg was a great blast with amazing scenery.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:02 - 22 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time last year they thought I had pancreatic cancer, luckily it was cancer on my pancreas and hadn't yet turned to the former. It is a horrible feeling only being given a few months to live, but they caught it in time for me and I donated the bits that they took out of me to the research bods.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:48 - 22 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagiva gezzer wrote:
I'll keep an eye on this. Did JOGLE two Septembers ago. Used this book - Link

You can get most of it from his website, but handy having the book for reference.

If you're following the deloitte route that's half the job done as you'll have a route to stick to. We went off piste and ended up doing a bit of a farm yard tour as well, which took its toll on our bodies and bikes.

Hardest days were in Devon. They know how to do rain/hills.

Nutrition is key. Work out just how much you need and a source of food you like and shovel it in. I settled on a bar or gel every 45 mins with a 750ml bottle per 20/25 miles. + a fair lunch. If you're not stopping you'll need a bar/gel every 30 mins.

Day 7 Razz
Day 9 Razz Razz - Extreme wilderness. If it wasn't soo far away I'd go back up. Tounge to Lairg was a great blast with amazing scenery.

One of my 100+ sportives I did this year I somehow managed to get it bang on. I don't like gels but instead take on board bananas and energy bars or malt loaf,I can't remember how often I ate during that sportive but it went perfectly,I was never hungry,energy levels were high and my fluid intake was little and often. I went 6hrs 14mins that day without stopping. My arse felt great as well Smile

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 22 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with energy bars/gels/energy powders for drinks (apart from being disgusting things that can upset your stomach - then it's game over) is that they are bulky and difficult to get hold of if you run out mid-ride. Easy for a 100 mile ride, where one or two are enough - not so great when you need to carry enough to get you across the country. Everything changes when you start onto multi-day rides with no support, where you are trying to get the miles in rather than simply tour.

I do big miles with High5 Zero tabs in my drinks bottles (basically a salt replacement to stop cramps that gives water some flavour); a couple of small tubes is good for a couple of thousand miles. Then I learnt what food I can find and eat easily that sits nicely in my stomach - petrol station milk shakes and pasties, sandwiches, fruit pots and "three for a pound" bags of jelly beans from supermarkets, fried breakfasts from greasy spoons, all normal food that can bought at the roadside anywhere. Water bottles can be filled at cafes whilst on your third full English of the day, or "value" bottled water at supermarkets where 20p gives you enough to fill both bottles without risking stomach upsets from filling them for free in the toilets.

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:53 - 22 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive target! I think you'll smash your donations target if you manage to hit 12k miles!

What are you using to log your rides? Good luck mate!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:40 - 23 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega wrote:
Impressive target! I think you'll smash your donations target if you manage to hit 12k miles!

What are you using to log your rides? Good luck mate!

I use Strava,I've been using Strava since June I think and prior to that from mid February it was Polar. I much prefer Strava.

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:17 - 23 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wull wrote:
Cheers guys.

My training of late has reduced down with regards to mileage doing roughly 100 miles per week but as of today I'm back on track.

I did a 40 miler at a relatively easy pace so I'll try and pace myself and not tire myself out, if I can get in to the swing of things just now then come the 1st I'll do a few 50 milers etc before I head back to work on the 4th of January.

Cheers

Ahh so its you who's always just ahead of me on strava!!! I'll chuck a tenner in the pot Smile

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:18 - 24 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stowelly wrote:
Wull wrote:
Cheers guys.

Cheers

Ahh so its you who's always just ahead of me on strava!!! I'll chuck a tenner in the pot Smile

Cheers dude Thumbs Up

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 03:23 - 09 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just over one week down, how's it going so far?

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:52 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bud thanks for asking.

Its going well.

I knew I was away for a dirty weekend there so I stuck the effort in during the week and did 240 miles, and the first 3 days of the year I managed 120+ miles so as of just now I'm currently sitting on 391 miles. The target mileage at this moment would be 360.58 so I'm just over 30 miles ahead of the target.

If I can keep this going through the winter months I should be laughing, it has been brutal at times, crappy weather and an off on Friday after hitting ice, that was a sore one. But other than that I'm feeling great, and I plan on doing at least 300 miles this week hopefully.

Thumbs Up

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:56 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt168/mongany/image.jpg1_zps9uitlt6l.jpg

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:38 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive mileage for any time of year never mind the middle of winter! Will be following your progress with interest. Good inspiration to get my bike back out and get riding to work.
ThomasMeyer This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:14 - 29 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I thought I'd pop in and give an update on how things are going as its nearly the end of the month, I'm off today due to the weather so I've got nothing better to do.

I managed to hit my monthly target of 1000 miles yesterday with a few days to spare, and the good thing about it is I've still got tomorrow and Sunday to do some miles so fingers crossed I can get to 1100 miles or more, that'll put me in a good position going in to February. I'm expecting February to be a brutal month so I need all the help I can get.

With regards to my gear the winter boots are awesome, solved the issues I was having with cold and wet feet. I purchased a new set of overshoes and when coupled with waterproof trousers for when I'm commuting to work in the early hours its all good. I also went through a few pairs of gloves as none were doing the trick but in the end up I bought a pair of sealskinz gloves and they're the dogs danglies.

I'm feeling a tad under the weather today,and have been for the last few days. I left the car in Callander on Monday and cycled home,then commuted down and back on Tuesday and Wednesday in what I can only describe as FUCKING BRUTAL weather  :q27: so its no surprise I'm feeling a bit shit so on Thursday I cycled down but brought the car home,then did 10 miles around Killin to get the 1000 miles I needed.

So that's pretty much the plan next month, try and commute as much as I can and then get ahead by doing bigger rides at the weekend, I've already broken a PB this month with most miles cycled in a day, last Saturday I managed 130 miles which surpassed my previous best of 114 miles, not bad for a wet winters day. Hopefully by Sunday I'll have surpassed my other two PB's of most miles cycled in a week and month which is 308 and 1080. I'm sure I'll manage it.

Big thanks to everyone who has donated, I'm nearly at the £500 mark which I'm pleased with, and the charity are currently working with me trying to promote this, so hopefully I'll know more soon and I can update everyone with everything that's happening.

And again just to clarify all my miles are done outside using strava so if it ain't on strava it doesn't count  :bigthum:

Stowelly
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:55 - 30 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

been following progress on Strava, impressive stuff..... got my own personal goal of 4000 miles this year, and even that im sure im going to struggle with! keep it up man, if you can get 1000 miles in through the winter you should have no trouble once the weather clears up!

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:24 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid month update.

The first few weeks of this month were a bit of a struggle, I was doing ok through the week but the weather was holding me back at the weekend,and because of this I went two weeks in a trot where I never met my weekly target of 231 miles.

Thankfully because of a good January I was only 8 miles behind target last Sunday night. I should've been pleased with that but because of the way I am I was a little bit annoyed with myself.

So this week I decided it was down to up my game and have a really good week. I started the week well, commuting all the way to work on Monday and Tuesday. 80 miles round trip. 3:30am wake up followed by leaving the house at 4:15am to get to work roughly 3hrs later.

Cycling home on the Tuesday was a real struggle,I was so tired. I didn't cycle on Wednesday then on Thursday I commuted down to Callander. Friday Saturday and today I cycled roughly 40-50 miles each day to give me a total of 350 miles for the week. I'm well chuffed,a new PB for miles in a week so all in all its been a good week.

But more importantly I'm back on track and now sitting 113 miles ahead of the target.

Next week I'm going to relax a bit and do the target miles of 231 and then try for a little bit more the following week.

The summer bike is back out just now as the rear derailleur is gubbed on the winter hack,I'm waiting on replacement parts. I decided to change the 8 speed Claris set up and go with 10 speed Ultegra. I have ready the rear mech,front mech,cassette and chain. The shifters should be here this week coming then I can get it built up.

I needed a bottom bracket for the summer bike and when. That arrived I chucked it on started using it immediately,the lovely crisp gear changes are bliss,the Sram Red is something else,I absolutely love the double tap shifters,I don't mind the sti levers but for me personally double tap is just brilliant.

Anyway,cheers for the support folks,I'm now up over £500 raised for the charity Thumbs Up

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:06 - 27 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wee bit of publicity

https://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt168/mongany/image.jpg1_zpstdoh3shg.jpg

https://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt168/mongany/image.jpg2_zpssjtaobqp.jpg

That's me now sitting on 2,023 miles for the year with a few days to spare before the end of the month ( Monday )

I'll do a proper update on Monday night but all is going well, last week was a struggle due to the weather but I still managed to put in over 240 miles and this week is looking good depending on what I do tomorrow, I hoping for a new PB tbh.

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:17 - 11 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys.

Just to let you all know I've added another challenge to the 3 that I doing already.

The added challenge is called EVERESTING.

Its where you climb the height of Mt. Everest in one ride. There is rules to this challenge. The climb is to be done on one hill,it can be steep or gradual but it has to be done over and over on that one climb until the elevation is reached.

There is a climb near me, its roughly 4 miles from Killin and it goes from the main road ( a827 ) and heads up to the Lawers Dam which is 3 miles up with a rough climb of 1000ft. So I'll cycle the 3 miles up and then back down, and then repeat.

I estimate it'll take me roughly 18hrs cycle time to achieve the 29,000ft + of climb and totalling roughly 180 miles.

Now I can take breaks etc for food but I'm not allowed to sleep. It'll probably take me more than 18hrs ride time and depending on breaks etc I'll be knocking on 24hrs. This one will be tough.

Cheers

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 04:37 - 13 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever told you that you're a little bit mental Laughing ?

Keep up the good work buddy!

Wull
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:18 - 13 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omega wrote:
Has anyone ever told you that you're a little bit mental Laughing ?

Keep up the good work buddy!

A few have haha, thing is it keeps me going, it gives me something to work to. All for a good cause, sometimes are good, some days are bad.

I'm currently on 2,775 miles for the year, roughly 382 miles ahead of target and I'm expecting to see 3k for the year by the end of this week coming.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2