Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Give Cyclists some room 1.5m coz it's now the Law.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:12 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Give Cyclists some room 1.5m coz it's now the Law. Reply with quote

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/driving-close-cyclist-leads-fine/

Thumbs Up

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they get fined for riding within 1.5m of a car Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a joke. If thats enforceable they must stay behind cars when approaching traffic lights etc. and not squeeze between them.

Responsibility on both parties.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:52 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
That's a joke. If thats enforceable they must stay behind cars when approaching traffic lights etc. and not squeeze between them.

Because motorcyclists never filter past or through traffic leaving a gap of less than 150cm? Wink

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Because motorcyclists never filter past or through traffic leaving a gap of less than 150cm? Wink

Of course they do, but I don't think there is a rule about 1.5 meters for motorbikes.

My point is what's to stop a pedantic copper pulling a car over if he moves away from traffic lights with a bike tucked in beside him. Is he going to have to wait for the bike to go? You'd be fucked in London.

I haven't got a problem with giving push bikes ample room but if it's 1.5 meters how am I going to be able to reach out a pinch the juiciest ladys' bottoms. Evil or Very Mad

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.5m... Thinking

https://img.sharetv.com/shows/episodes/standard/473350.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:56 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this before elsewhere and as I recall, it is just the press blowing piss and wind about a hypothetical possability you could be done for inconsiderate driving rather than there having been andy sort of primary or secondary legislation on a statuatory minimum overtaking distance.

Impoprtantly, the police would ultimately have to prove another driver had been inconvenienced by your driving in court in order to obtain a sucessful prosecution for inconsiderate driving. Which woud presumably mean dragging the specific cyclist you overtook in too and asking them.

Unless someone else knows different? If they do, chapter and verse please...

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:26 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck em
When they bring in and actually enforce a law for a cyclists like 'riding like an asshole' especially on pavements which is a pet hate of mine
I'll maybe give a shit about them.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Fuck em
When they bring in and actually enforce a law for a cyclists like 'riding like an asshole' especially on pavements which is a pet hate of mine

My big one is at night with no lights or reflectors and then have the audacity to give you a mouthful when you just miss them.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Fuck em

So you're going to endanger cyclists riding on the roads, because you don't like cyclists riding on the pavement.

You don't find that logic a trifle flawed at all?

Rolling Eyes

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Fuck em

There is actually a law for careless cycling under the road traffic act I'm sure. S28/29 I think, can't be bothered to verify right now though.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:41 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Fuck em

I really can't understand why and intelligent bloke would take that attitude. There are certainly some arseholes riding bicycles. They are annoying. Yet you seem to consider that because of that, all of them deserve to be treated badly, or at least you couldn't give a fuck if they are. I drive a car, ride a motorcycle and ride a bicycle. Dangerous passing by larger road vehicles on a bicycle is extremely likely to blow a cyclist off the road. I've been actually knocked of a bike by a vehicle that overtook me and immediately turned left in front of me, so it hit my front wheel and sent me over the top of the boot onto the road.

Most drivers are completely considerate. Some are total cunts. The same is true of cyclists.

Rednine
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:21 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whose picking up the tab for all the white paint going down on the road for cycle lanes, especially here in Hampshire and Dorset.............we are, motorists, van and truck drivers, and motorcyclists? Answer - make cyclists pay a road tax or whatever it's called now. They should easily be able to cough up a fiver or tenner per annum.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:22 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone pays for the upkeep of roads.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:37 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rednine wrote:
Whose picking up the tab for all the white paint going down on the road for cycle lanes, especially here in Hampshire and Dorset.............we are, motorists, van and truck drivers, and motorcyclists? Answer - make cyclists pay a road tax or whatever it's called now. They should easily be able to cough up a fiver or tenner per annum.

I doubt very much that you're paying more than me for 'The roads'

It amazes me that societies retards see a person on a bicycle and assume that is their only form of transport.

Still, thick fuckers will always be thick fuckers.

jakebrownbass
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:26 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not against this, but if you have two cyclists riding abreast on a NSL road with minimal overtaking opportunities, 1.5m can go where the sun don't shine.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:38 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakebrownbass wrote:
I'm not against this, but if you have two cyclists riding abreast on a NSL road with minimal overtaking opportunities, 1.5m can go where the sun don't shine.

Where do you have to go that you need to be there so quickly?

Do you drive a fire engine?

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:47 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
jakebrownbass wrote:

Where do you have to go that you need to be there so quickly?

Do you drive a fire engine?

This.

If you are important enough... They will wait for the extra 2-3minutes.

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, most NSL B roads are not wide enough to safely and considerately pass a single cyclist when there is oncoming traffic, so riding 2 abreast actually makes no difference. If anything, they're doing you a favour.

https://www.cyclechat.net/attachments/bqwrvjicqaaobc_-jpg.306076/

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rednine wrote:

I would.

Really, if it stopped this fuckwitted kind of argument, I would pay £20 for lines on the road.

And next time some mouthbreathing div decides to take a pop because he was inconvenienced getting his fat ass to Greggs by fifty milliseconds, I'd feel smug and happy that finally, by 'they're rules' that I was in the clear.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:18 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I greatly dislike people who bandy about stereotypes, after all not all lycra glad spastics on bikes are twats, and aged 57 I find myself at six feet tall and 13 stone a non Gregg eating nose breather.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:40 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rednine wrote:

I barely know anyone who rides a bicycle who doesn't also drive a car and in any case, even if there are such people, we all pay tax through the nose on our income and on everything we buy.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rednine wrote:

You pay 'Road Tax'?

"United Kingdom
Main article: Vehicle Excise Duty
In the United Kingdom it is a requirement to pay Vehicle Excise Duty, which is paid to the government for a vehicle licence.[17] Up until October 2014 vehicle licences, in the form of a paper disc, were required to be displayed on vehicles. Since October 2014 licence details are stored centrally on a database.[18] Vehicles that are not used or kept on public roads must be the subject of a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) if they are not licensed.[19]

In 1937 the direct relationship that existed between the tax and government expenditure on public roads was cut, the proceeds being treated as general taxation.[20]

In the 2015 budget the government announced that from 2020 the revenue would be ring-fenced for expenditure on the strategic road network.[21]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Excise_Duty
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2