Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help needed from some experienced old heads :)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stewdog
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:58 - 06 Jan 2016    Post subject: Help needed from some experienced old heads :) Reply with quote

Evening gentlemen, I need some advice...

I'm currently commuting from West Malling to Camden every day via train at a cost of £4150 a year and wanted to look at potentially ticking learning to ride off the bucket list and saving some money to boot.

On first glance it looks like a 35ish mile journey each way.

Currently door to door I'm doing 2 to 230 hours each way with the train.

What I'm trying to work out is with the cost of the bike, decent clothes , CBT and gas will I be better off switching both in terms of time and money?

I've been driving accident free for 15 years (touch wood) but come from a family of scooter nuts so wanted to scratch the itch (my preference would be a bike over a scooter, as I'm never a mod Smile)

So guys, Im not one to go into anything without asking sensible questions and I bow to your superior experience and knowledge.

1. Is it feasible / cost effective?
2. Am I gonna shit myself constantly?
3. Does anyone else do that sort of journey into town.
4. The fun question I've no clue on bikes any advice on where and what to look at?

Thank you all in advance, it feels abit cringey to ask what probabl seem as ridiculously obvious questions.

Btw it would be four days a week and I only need to get to the office at 10am

Cheers stew

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:16 - 06 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its doable, but looking at google maps whether it would be much of a saving or not I dont know.

Google seems to imply its a 42 mile trip via the M20, longer if you avoid Mways.

So best part of 100 miles a day, 4 days a week. Youre going to rack up a lot of mile, a lot of wear and tear, and a lot of fuel and maintainance costs.

If you go for a CBT, get a little 125, 100 miles (or best part therof) commute a day without being able to use motorways? Especially when its pissing down with rain, dark cold and generally shit (i.e. 90% of the time in the UK) I wouldnt fancy doing it myself...

If you go right for DAS (direct access) and get a full bike licence and go straight to a "big" bike it might be a bit more enjoyable, faster and can use motorways, but budgetting for training and buying a bike thats probably going to use up at least half of your £4k travel card before you even get to buying kit or putting petrol in it.

Fuel-wise it depends vastly on the bike and how you ride it of course. My old YBR125 cost about £11 to fill the tank and would do best part of 200 miles on that. My current FZS600 costs about £20 to fill the tank and will do 200-250ish miles on that. Even with a small 125 youre probably looking at at least £20-30 of fuel a week, which according to my maffz (wot i waznt no good at skool at) youre looking at about £1600 on petrol a year, more on a bigger bike, cheaper than the train significantly, but theres more to think about biking than just petrol cost (As you know from driving a car!)

Can you do it? Yes
Will it be cheaper? Maybe in the long run... but certainly not initially
Will it be more fun than taking the train? On good days, definitely yes
Is it a good excuse to learn to ride and get a bike anyway? Definately Mr. Green

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:30 - 06 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google tells me it's 34.5 / 36.3 miles. Fickle bitch.

I wouldn't want to do that through London traffic, but people manage it.

72 miles x 4 days x 48 weeks = 13824 miles a year. On a 125 that's a preventative oil change (say £5) a month, two or three sets of tyres @ £150 each, a chain and sprockets at about £100 and @ 100mpg about 620 litres a year, currently £620 but likely to rise.

Throw in London insurance, VED, breakdown cover and you're at about £1500 or so a year in consumables, plus any repairs.

Even with CBT, gear and bike purchase / depreciation you're likely to come out financially ahead, but it's not free.

Thing is, you're really going to have to suck it up and try it to see if it's for you.

Good news is that 125s are cheapish to buy and easy enough to sell on, so it's not a lifetime commitment if you don't get on with it.

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:37 - 06 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi stew

I do between 50 mile - 100 mile a day on a 125.

I have a choice between fighting through London traffic and doing a 25 mile commute, which I do on bad weather days and most of winter. Or a 50 mile commute around the M25/A1M/M40.

I commute all year round on a 125 4 stroke bike.

1. It is feasible, and for me, preferable over sitting on trains or in cars in traffic. It is also more cost effective, but I do all my own servicing. On a basic 4 stroke bike, it's not hard.

2. I hope not. I learned to ride riding up and down the 6 lanes of the A40 and A406. Moving onto motorways on a 125 never bothered me. I'm still more wary of school mum runners and the like. But some people are terrified of doing motorways on small bikes. Get a bigger bike and that's solved.

3. Yes. Me.

4. I like bikes. Bicycle or motorcycle, I like feeling the world around me. I have never liked cars. That said during the winter terms when it's snowing or blasting a gale it can be miserable. Middle of summer on a fine evening, commutes can be fun enough to take you off on unexplored routes.

I would say give it a try, but on a commute that long, get your test done ASAP. Even if you stick to having a 125 having a choice of rules home and using motorways will make the difference to endless tiresome rides and the odd blat at speed home. Also if you do use motorways, pinning a 125 can destroy fuel economy to the point where it's sometimes more economic to get a bigger more capable bike.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 07 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Malling to Camden is a bitch of a commute even by bike. As a novice rider you'll be shittin it for the first few months but if you don't bust your legs you'll settle down to a routine.

You might not save any money but you'll save your soul.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 07:45 - 07 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOVE!!!! - North would be my recommend.. a LONG way North!
You are spending more a year on train tickets than I am on my fucking MORTGAGE!!!!!!!!

However.. DON'T do bikes to save money. do bikes cos you want to do bikes.

You probably wont save much, if anything, short term, and if you DO save anything, likely to take a long while to recoup your set-up costs.. if you ever do... while any cash you do free up is likely as not to be consumed indulging in any and all the 'paraphernalia' that is associated with a new 'hobby', which like as not will beg every spare penny you have to feed the enthusiasm.

Meanwhile; commuting is NOT fun. a bike might make it a bit less 'boring' in the short term, but in all likelihood, making so much of your biking a 'chore' can damp the 'fun' and after five days battling with the commuter psyco's all out to kill you, you will not find such enthusiasm to get on the bike 'just' for fun at the week-end.

So like I say, don't do it to save money, don't do it to save time. do it because you want to do it, and IF it offers any more after.. relish the 'Bonus'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 07 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't keep up on the congestion charge stuff now I'm not there, but I seem to remember certain bikes would soon have to pay. So you will need to research and may need to buy a relatively new bike which could add to things.

IMO I'd say 'Get your full license'.
Buy a cheap sensible bike say 250-650cc (don't get fashion conscious for your 1st bike) and give it a go.
1K for your DAS.
1K+ for Gear and insurance.
depending on the deal with Boris, 2k for a bike.
Add running costs and year 1 will be over budget but (assuming you want to continue) year 2 etc will be under.
One big proviso, don't have an accident or break the bike!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:41 - 07 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
certain bikes would soon have to pay.

Soon being 2020, and certain bikes being pre-2007, which is when Euro 3 came in.

Even if the bike was Euro 3 compliant. Or even if it's a post 2007 registration of a pre-Euro 3 bike (pretty sure my 2008 registered carbed Enfield isn't hippy-friendly).

So, 13+ year old bikes by the time it comes in, probably not a massive consideration.

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 07 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Alpineandy wrote:
certain bikes would soon have to pay.

Soon being 2020, and certain bikes being pre-2007, which is when Euro 3 came in.

Trust you to know the details..... from all the way up there!

I know Boris wants to expand the Zone but I think you're pretty safe Mr Borg.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:21 - 07 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leads London, follows the provinces. Glasgow Cooncil put in loads of cameras to monitor the Zil Lanes during the Commonwealth, they're gagging for revenue in practice, despise privately owned motor vehicles on principle, and aren't particularly bike friendly. I'm enjoying my free ride while I can.

vysie
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 07 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go for it what have you got to loose, take care on the road watch out for muppets that think your not there, worst case I see it is 4k on a train ticket!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do cbt buy a cheap 125 and try it if you enjoy it and saves time I say money well spent if you hate it and at times you will sell the bike clothes etc and get another train pass,

on about train tickets I choked on my coffee the other night I heard the fare from Birmingham to London is now over 10k that's stupid money

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 07 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is during rush hour I'm guessing? Everyone's different but one of the reason's I commute by bike's that I work odd shift times. Going home isn't as bad but in the morning when all the kids are going to school, people going to work it's horrid, particularly going from South to North London.

Also how bad's the train? If you're cramed on then getting cold/wet/nearly killed by cagers might be preferable, if you get a seat and have a reasonably stress free commute then I'd ask what the benefit is...

Financial? You're going to be approaching close to 30k a year with just your commute, that's big mileage for a bike. Tyres, chains, sprockets, servicing and at that sort of mileage realistically you'll be wanting a new bike every couple of years, unless you plan to follow in the great tradition of courier hacks.

I'm not trying to put you off giving biking a go, because it's a lot of fun, however that sort of commute will likely kill any passion you have for riding very quickly.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:55 - 07 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you commit to biking and get good at filtering your journey time should shrink a lot. Currently your average is 2 hrs 15 mins each way? Off the top of my head I'd say that 1 hr 10 mins might be realistic on a bike. I might even try your route with my new camera...I'm planning a Shoreditch to Woodchurch trip sometime, so I could work your route into that. What are the postcodes?

As for shitting yourself, you'll have plenty of moments and probably a minor off or two...but as you get more skilled your subconscious will do a lot of the thinking - it's like any hand and eye coordination thingy. You might even find yourself enjoying the mental challenge of passing hundreds of cars every day. I do.

Stewdog
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:19 - 07 Jan 2016    Post subject: Thank you everyone Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
If you commit to biking and get good at filtering your journey time should shrink a lot. Currently your average is 2 hrs 15 mins each way? Off the top of my head I'd say that 1 hr 10 mins might be realistic on a bike. I might even try your route with my new camera...I'm planning a Shoreditch to Woodchurch trip sometime, so I could work your route into that. What are the postcodes?

As for shitting yourself, you'll have plenty of moments and probably a minor off or two...but as you get more skilled your subconscious will do a lot of the thinking - it's like any hand and eye coordination thingy. You might even find yourself enjoying the mental challenge of passing hundreds of cars every day. I do.

Thanks everyone, please do keep posting all your experience is well worth it to me, both positive and negative. I need to make the decision by May so i've got time,

Currently i'm thinking get the CBT sorted and then if i like it hammer the DAS and get something more than a 125 but nothing showy i'm a proper slow boring bastard so whatever bike will plod along, and be my best mate in bike form is what i'm after (suggestions welcome)

I used to drive all over town in one of my previous lives but I totally appreciate riding is a different kettle of fish.

Im up on Kings Hill next to west malling so its from there to Bayham St, Camden. to give you guys more of a steer.

Oh and as for motivation, its a combo of getting time back/money and paying homage to my grandad who was obsessed with Nortons.

Thanks again everyone i really appreciate the effort. Im a total novice and need to know this stuff.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:36 - 07 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect a 125 will be as quick as anything - a small narrow bike is an asset when filtering in rush hour. A big wide bike like my BM is a disadvantage.

You can't fail to enjoy biking really - unless you're a scaredy cat or you break your neck. After a while you'll wonder how you ever managed without a bike.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:48 - 07 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't want to do the M20 stretch on a 125 though...

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 00:08 - 08 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other members who have a much better and more detailed knowledge than me regarding routes (Sickpup) but don't expect it to save you that much time once you take in to account the small extras that come with riding.

On a good day I'd say youre going to take about 25 minutes to get to the A20/south circular roundabout in Eltham. From there you would need to make a choice about how to cross the river. I'd probably just go through Lewisham from there through New Cross along the A2 to Waterloo bridge and then hope for the best from there.

Google maps says that take about 1hour 12 mins. Distance of about 40 miles. With traffic that's at least an hour and a half even with some filtering for someone new to riding, then the possibility of accidents/diversions etc.

Depending on what bike you get (I'd avoid a 125 for the M20 bit although it could be done) you would be looking at filling up with petrol every other day. Then there's chain maintenance. If the weathers really shitty accept you might get a bit wet, and you will need to change/hang up your clothes to dry, adding a few minutes to your time. All of a sudden it's almost 2 hours by bike from leaving to actually sitting down at work.

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 08 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
small narrow bike is an asset when filtering in rush hour. A big wide bike like my BM is a disadvantage.

125s still have the same width handlebars and pain in the arse height mirrors. They also feel less planted.

I do miss the Rieju RS2. Clip ons can't half make a bike feel narrow and mirrors on fairings always seemed easier than the Retrostar normal width rental bars and mirrors at the same height as van mirrors.

The usual YBR, CBF, CG and the like will all have the same width bars. Any advantage is negligible.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:22 - 08 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to my 125 the MT-03's crap for filtering. The bars are a lot wider, and although it's a well balanced machine, generally you feel the weight of a big bike at slow speeds. Also a heavy clutch and jerky power delivery makes it harder.

Stewdog
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:09 - 16 Jan 2016    Post subject: I'm back! Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the info. the bug has already set in!!

in my investigations I've been able to narrow things down somewhat into two ways to tackle this first year riding.

I've been able to swing a couple of free sessions on 125s! with a bit of haggling to get the ball rolling.

Helpful posters here, calculated my fuel at around £1200 to £1600 and I reckon thats pretty close going by the calculated distance on my exact route. approximately 78 miles a day working on the theory I can get 50mpg out of whatever bike i choose this comes like the above.

i.e. 192 days (four days a week, 48 weeks a year) so around the 15 to 16k miles in a year.

so ive done some investigation and so my predicted costs come in like below (please correct or advise, remember i;m a total novice)

CBT - been quoted £120
Insurance - I guesstimated at £300 based on being 34 and driven for years, but i guess i might get nailed here.
Clothing/equipment - £600?
Fuel - £1600
so thats £2620 already leaving me £1480 for the bike and potentially the DAS

I've had the DAS quoted at between £500 to £800 so i reckon ill be at the higher end of that scale. which is gonna leave not a lot for the bike.

so its all coming down to bike choice, i've got to travel up the M20 for a short distance, and also i'm a long streak of piss ie 6ft weighing 12 stone, so I've concerns over being to big on a small bike like a ninja?

I've been doing the fun part for the past week and looked at a few different bikes my long list (some very wishful thinking)

125s
CB125
CG125
YBR125
whatabout a Van Van are they gonna be too bouncy for that kind of a commute?

over 125, i like the look of these and have read a bunch of reviews and rider comments on them, stylistically i like the Bullet, but my major concerns are having a reliable bike in the first year that I can get to grips with.
Bullet
Nighthawk
CB600 Hornet (looks oh so sweet)
NC700
Versys 650
SV650

As my budget is tight I wasnt sure whether it was worth doing the DAS straight up or whether i should get some miles down on a 125. I'll have the same £4kish to spend so should i postpone the DAS or not.

I just dont know realistically what kind of bike I can get for sub £1000 if i do the DAS this year.

Any thoughts or recommendations bike wise please do let me know, i'm haggling with training schools currently and trying to get my equipment/clothing costs down, however I think I should spend a fair amount as i'm pretty sure i'm gonna come off at some point

i'd rather do that properly clothed. Same reason for the bike not to be the shiniest piece of kit on day one, i know ill scratch it.

so guys and girls, any thoughts on bikes and also good stores for gear and bikes in and around the sevenoaks/maidstone area.

cheers

Stew

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:07 - 16 Jan 2016    Post subject: Re: I'm back! Reply with quote

Stewdog wrote:
i've got to travel up the M20

Unless you work at a motorway services without local 'service' entrance.. No.. No you don't! There's ALWAYS another route.. and t's probably got better scenery! However..
Stewdog wrote:
As my budget is tight I wasnt sure whether it was worth doing the DAS straight up or whether i should get some miles down on a 125.

Possibly tipping the scales.. you do know you aren't allowed on motorways on L-Plates, don't you?

BUT... sod the costs, do it 'cos you want it. AND...

CBT is not a licence, its a first lesson. Legacy Law that lets a LEARNER ride a 125 on L's before tests is so hey can practice for tests.. not fuck-arse about avoiding them...

£600 on riding gear? Yeah. THERE is your DAS course, near enough, and believe me, dong that little learning will do more to keep you 'safe' than any amount of armour and padding!

Armour & padding is only any use when you fall off... wont STOP you falling off.. wont even stop you get hurt when you fall off...believe me, falling off hurts no matter what you wear! All good gear may do is soften a bit of the blow, provided its bg enough to actually hurt t begin with, and not so hard it wont kill you anyway!

GET TRAINED. get some know how. Learn how to NOT fall off! THAT s what keeps us safe!!!!

Prioritise that DAS course over better gear!

THEN.. what bike can you buy for a grand? Plenty... Remember its not an 'either or' choice. Its a FULL Bike Licence ot a Big-Bike licence! No one takes it off you if you don't buy something over 400cc within the first six weeks, you know! You can ride a 125 on a full licence just as happily as you can a 1250.. you'll just be doing it with all the right training, and without the L-Plates... and be able to use them Motorways if you must.

And there are still Brand-New (Chiky) 125's advertised for £1000, so even if you don't re-evaluate the budget priorities, and skimp the gear to get the training, you can still do the training and have a bike.

A for the gear? Hat, law says you have to have. They start from as little as £30.. padding in a £300 hat wont save you 10x the hurt if you crash, but spending the £270 saving on training is likely to save you having a crash!

Gloves? Cant control a bike if your fingers are frozen numb. This is, if there s anything worth spending big money on in bike gear, where its probably best spent! Small garments, but fiddly and a lot of work to make, good gloves don't tend to come cheap. Cheap gloves tend to be cold, and or uncomfy and or inflexible.

Water-proofs. I find I get wet here the UK more often than I crash. so far more use, far more often than leather or kevlar and armour. Also covers everything else, so you can layer-up in 'cheap' conventional out-door wear underneath. Good old fashoed jumpers offer padding as well as warmth, and don't tend to dig into you like cheap armour!

Boots? Cheap bike boots I think are a waste of money. They tend not to offer much f any more crash-protection or 'support' than any other 'sensible' out-door footwear, cost 3x the price because they say 'moto-sport' or something on them, and last in every-day wear about a well as a cheap pair of unbranded trainers!

Kitting up on the 'cheap' I would Budget about :-

- £50 for good gloves.
- £50-£100 for a crash hat, tops.
- £30 - £50 for water-proof oversuit.
If you cant 'improvise' the rest from what sensble out-foors wear you already have your wardrobe, then add:-
- £50 for a pair of 'sensible' akle length out-door / work boot. Army surplus; Catapillar kock-off kind of thig work well, and are well withn suggested budget.
- £30 for decet pair of jean/ cammo trusers
- £50 for a rugged out-door jacket, again Army Surplus camo jacket / Fishermans anorak type stuff, cheap durable & practcal.

£300 tops IF you have to buy everything. With some prudence, £150-£200.. that is half your DA course saved just on the gear yo don't need.

Expect to replace to as you go along, and as needs must of as funds permit. But, army-surplus, will tend to last longer before you need to replace it than entry level 'My First Motorcycle Outfit' grade bike gear.

But remember, Training helps you avoid crashing, gear, just softens the blow a bit when you do, and You ONLY have to buy the training one... it lasts a life-time!

Go get some of that, and the rest will follow.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:30 - 16 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I upped my mortgage budget, I was considering buying in that direction - not quite as far out, but close.

I currently commute on my SH300. If I had moved that far out, I'd probably would have switched to a Tmax or one of the NC700 variants, mostly for comfort at higher speeds. I get north of 70mpg on the SH, and would be expecting around 65 for an NC700 ridden conservatively at fairly constant speed for most of the miles.

About cost. CBT / DAS is a fixed entry fee that can be amortized over time, and most gear besides gloves will last you a few years. Similarly, what a bike costs you is fuel, maintenance, tax, insurance and depreciation, not the sticker price. I don't think it would be too hard to come out ahead buying a second-hand bike with good tyres and chain, doing a couple of tyre + oil + filter changes, and selling it again within 18 months. But if you try to scrape by with a bike costing you 1500, you may spend more on maintenance.

Personally I love commuting in London, and miss it badly when I spend time out of the country. I find an excuse to go into town on weekends just to get my fix. The big difference with starting further out is time on motorways / fast dual carriageways - a bit more wind protection on the bike (i.e. fairing), especially this time of year, pays off.

Coming from south London means getting across the river is going to be a bottleneck - and it's not really possible to filter legally on most crossings. The time cost of crossing the river during rush hour is one of the reasons my house search looked as far north as Enfield, but no further south than Dulwich.

Something about the weather: I don't wear my full goretex suit unless the forecast is for rain during commute time; in practice, that's no more than 10 days a year. It spits a bit in the morning or evening another 10-20 days a year. Result is, it's seldom raining when I commute, and the road is usually dry. The weather in the south east is substantially better than most of the rest of the country. Statistically, London is drier than Paris, Rome, New York, Dallas - you'd be surprised.

I'd consider your commute a punishing stopgap before moving closer to work. It's doable, but not hugely enjoyable.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:58 - 16 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teeth gritted, I had to rate Mike as "Informative". You can definitely reduce your gear budget considerably.

Helmet, buy new. https://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ tells you how well they'll keep your brains in. Cost does not equal safety.

For the rest, used gear can be had cheaply on eBay and Gumtree. I'm always on the look out for a bargain.

Barrkel raises the issue of scooters and they're worth considering. Weather protection, storage, easier to ride at the cost of being a bit dull. PCX125 or similar if you're CBT'ing it.

To DAS or not to DAS. That's a judgement call. Remember that even if you get a 125 that you can do your A1 tests on it yourself without any training and get a license to use a 125 on the motorway.

Having passed the tests the hard way on a 125, you'll be better placed to do them the easy way on a bigger bike.

There's no obviously right answer, but again Mike does have a reasonable point that the sooner you do training, the more it'll benefit you.

Whatever you decide, I would encourage you to give it a go. Biking is just ace.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 16 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You can definitely reduce your gear budget considerably.

You can, BUT I have to totally disagree with Mike here. He seems to be putting too much focus on keeping dry and then just buying a rugged surplus jacket. Problem is, getting wet is highly unlikely to cause you lasting injury, crashing and sliding down the road (possibly bumping off street furniture or other vehicles) in crap gear will.

I put in a cheeky offer and just got a brand new Richa textile jacket off ebay for £40 delivered. Nice thick liner, back, shoulder and forearm protection, and it's (apparently) waterproof. When you can find proper bike gear this cheap there is no reason to use something not designed for the purpose.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:38 - 16 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not like I read all of it. Wink

It's pretty much a no-brainer to buy new/slightly used bike specific gear at the same price as whatever cotton trash Mike's imagining.

I'm agreeing with him on budget and sort-of about training.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 73 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4