Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Help needed from some experienced old heads :)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:28 - 28 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mossywitt wrote:
Polite Think Bike hi-vis

<picard-theres-the-door-now-get-the-fuck-out.jpg>

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:29 - 28 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

good on you Thumbs Up

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 28 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

May have already been suggested but try looking on youtube loads of London motorcycle commuter vids. It looks a squash but on the upside compared to where I live drivers seem to be used to bikes so in some ways easier than somewhere with less traffic but also less bikes.

schnitzel.von.krumm
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:50 - 29 Apr 2016    Post subject: Re: Help needed from some experienced old heads :) Reply with quote

Stewdog wrote:

1. Is it feasible / cost effective?
2. Am I gonna shit myself constantly?
3. Does anyone else do that sort of journey into town.
4. The fun question I've no clue on bikes any advice on where and what to look at?

1. Yes, it should be about £1000 cheaper per year based on my slightly more expensive commute.

2. Sometimes, but shitting yourself will get your hurt on this route. You have to be decisive. Faffing fucks things up. I've already had a couple of oh fuck moments. Two emergency stops with cars pulling out on me. Didnt drop the bike. Watch out for lycra clad cyclists, Addison Lee taxis and Pruis.

3. Yes, see below. I do this 3-4 times per week.

4. I went down the 125 scooter route. It's perfectly fine, bit slow up to Sidcup but then you might as well be on a pushbike.

After years on the train and paying £4875 a year for the privilege (monthly not Goldcard), I've been commuting into Westminster from the Kings Hill area since March. I'm loving every minute. My commute is 33.3 miles door to parking space each way and I would like to do this all year round but realistically will probably ride up to the end of October.

I chose to do it on a 125 and get some experience as I have no experience on a bike before. Plus I'm getting 125 mpg out of my little PCX. In hindsight maybe a DAS and older bike may have been better? Dunno as my 1st year budget was anything cheaper than the £400 train ticket so didnt really matter at the time.

Here is my route. Record time leaving my office after 7pm is 1hr 5 mins to home. Usually takes 1hr 20 in the morning and slightly less on the way home.

You don't need to use the M20, but I think it would shave 10 mins off if you could/did. I find it lovely. Wrotham Hill isnt a problem and the ride past Brand Hatch is lovely on a sunny morning.

https://i754.photobucket.com/albums/xx186/27031982/route.png

After Sidcup you might as well be on a pushbike! Pinch points on that route are Lewisham roundabout roadworks, New Cross around the Venue and under Waterloo bridge.

Old Kent Road is fun in the morning. Sometimes getting caught up in the middle of 10 - 15 big bikes being on the only scooter.

You can use all the red route bus lanes. Without this it would be a nightmare.

Do it! Its great fun!

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 29 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
£110. What's that - 4 tanks of petrol?

I make it five and a half. Wink

You can get a reasonable quality armoured jacket without spending big cash. I've bought two sets of leathers off ebay for less than a third of the new cost. One pair of trousers still had tags on it!

I think the point Mike was trying to make (in his charming, but verbose manner) is that at the outset the training is what will make you a safer rider, so if your absolute choice due to budget is training or armour, chose the training.
I can see where he's coming from, but I'm not going to go so far as to advocate aran jumpers as crash protection. I'll go with get the training, and then get the best gear you can afford.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 131 days between these two posts...

Stewdog
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:42 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Finally an update Reply with quote

Thought everyone might like an update... i'm sure its a common experience with newbies to riding, but i thought i would share it with all those thinking of learning to ride.

So i left you all enthusiastic, with a booked CBT, and a completed theory test moving towards a DAS in May last year.

well things didn't quite work out as planned.

I completed CBT no problems at all, found it enjoyable after thinking about it for so long to actually enjoy the opportunity to finally learn how to ride a bike.

I then was persuaded (i can only blame myself for getting caught up in the enthusiasm and excitement) to go into a quick 3 day DAS giving over around £600 in the process.

In the meantime i got my gear sorted, safety first! and on the morning of the move to the bigger 600cc Honda proceeded to have a complete and utter meltdown. As a complete novice with only the CBT for experience i really struggled to handle the larger cc'd bike and over the course of about two hours all my confidence drained completely out of me to the point where the instructor called an end to it.

Told me to speak with the office and game over i lost all my confidence and £600 quid in the process.

Took me a while to get my head around it.

in the end, as i needed to find a way to get commute from sevenoaks to london i ended up buying a 125 and "manning up" solo on the a20 up into north London.

It paid off after not killing myself for a few weeks my confidence returned and I'm now looking forward. The only issue i have now is trying to find the money to pay for the DAS all over again.. before my CBT and theory run out next April.

so my point if there is one, is take your time, don't rush (or be rushed) into something you aren't prepared for. get plenty of hours under your belt with a 125 and make sure you have the appropriate level of safety gear and a decent option on breakdown cover!!!!

if anyone has any ideas of a good cheap DAS course or instructor i'm all ears, I'm super cautious after the experience i had last time out.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:57 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode my CB100 long enough to be ragging the nuts off it everywhere and constantly wanting more power. Had a couple of minor spills on it, so that was another fear largely out of the way. Probably a lot of people here will tell you that moving straight from that to a Kawasaki 750 turbo wasn't a great idea, but by then I felt ready. Gave myself a couple of scares on it, fortunately without crashing, and that was it...big bikes felt natural very quickly, and I never wanted to go back to the small stuff again.

I'm thankful that doing training and tests was all very much cheaper and easier back then though. But I guess those early miles on the L plates were an invaluable experience, especially riding in the traffic of that London. Having mates in a similar position to myself to ride with probably helped too. You felt like you had to measure up, although not in a 'too much pressure' way. Just fun. I just enjoyed the whole thing so much, I was never lacking in confidence; just wanted more, more, more!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:30 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a London based courier. Things to remember are that "rush hour" is about three hours long, twice a day, in total street gridlock meltdown. Also you'd better have a private place to park because there's just too many people on bikes looking for too few bike parking spaces, and then there's the frustrated car drivers who park in motorcycle bays seemingly oblivious to getting ticketed for it.

Rush hour is impossible in a car and filtering in central London during rush hour is a SLOW process on a bike. You simply can not get ANYWHERE in any kind of hurry at those times and you're stuck in whatever weather. Your health and sanity will be permanently ruined in no time.

If parked in a public parking bay (if you can even find one) you bike WILL be stolen or vandalized regularly, especially if it's a 125.

However, if I still lived in London and had to be places at certain times then that's the only way I'd do it because I can't tolerate the hellish commuter slog on the tubes and busses.

Basically what I'm saying is it's a terrible thing to do even on a bike but it might be marginally better (less depressingly soul destroying) than the expensive, unsanitary and torturous commute by public cattle transport.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:51 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

72 miles x 4 days x 48 weeks = 13824 miles a year. On a 125 that's a preventative oil change (say £5) a month, two or three sets of tyres @ £150 each,

LOL WOT?

The Tyres on my RXS have done ~15k Miles, they came with the bike, they are still legal.

Rogerborg wrote:

a chain and sprockets at about £100

LOL WOT 2?

Even DID/JT will be half that. I only Adjusted the chain on my RXS100 2/3 times since I had it. I would wager it could easily last 30k miles

Rogerborg wrote:

Throw in London insurance,

West Malling isn't London, it was a small town in kent last time I was there, It's outside the M25. I live in the M25 and insurance for my Misses on the RXS was ~£150.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:58 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
I used to be a London based courier. Things to remember are that "rush hour" is about three hours long, twice a day, in total street gridlock meltdown. Also you'd better have a private place to park because there's just too many people on bikes looking for too few bike parking spaces, and then there's the frustrated car drivers who park in motorcycle bays seemingly oblivious to getting ticketed for it.

Rush hour is impossible in a car and filtering in central London during rush hour is a SLOW process on a bike. You simply can not get ANYWHERE in any kind of hurry at those times and you're stuck in whatever weather. Your health and sanity will be permanently ruined in no time.

If parked in a public parking bay (if you can even find one) you bike WILL be stolen or vandalized regularly, especially if it's a 125.

However, if I still lived in London and had to be places at certain times then that's the only way I'd do it because I can't tolerate the hellish commuter slog on the tubes and busses.

Basically what I'm saying is it's a terrible thing to do even on a bike but it might be marginally better (less depressingly soul destroying) than the expensive, unsanitary and torturous commute by public cattle transport.

I can get from Hornchurch to Shoreditch (16 miles) in Rush hour in less than 30 minutes (usually). Granted I've been doing it 10+ years.
Rush hour is rarely gridlocked in my Experience. This is a different route to the OP, I reckon I hit gridlock on the way in maybe twice a year, Gridlock on the way out is more like once a month. Even on those days it's more like 40-45 minutes a journey for me. To my Knowledge only once has it taken me longer than an hour (not counting snow) to get home. It has never taken me an hour to get in.

Traffic on my commute has definitely gotten better in the last few years. It used to take me 30 in 35 out not it's more like 25 in ~28 out, I do not think I am any faster.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Finally an update Reply with quote

Stewdog wrote:
I then was persuaded (i can only blame myself for getting caught up in the enthusiasm and excitement) to go into a quick 3 day DAS giving over around £600 in the process...

...As a complete novice with only the CBT for experience i really struggled to handle the larger cc'd bike and over the course of about two hours all my confidence drained completely out of me to the point where the instructor called an end to it.

I suspect that this is a relatively frequent occurrence. The loose BCF consensus is to forego gaining confidence, experience and skills on a 125 and head instead for the 600. But the point is that this isn't the best way for all novices - and I do wonder if the number of those for whom experience on a 125 would be the better option is perhaps bigger than is sometimes assumed.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:18 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Finally an update Reply with quote

Stewdog wrote:
stuff.

I did very similar to you tbh - booked DAS too early (came free with bike). You'll get there no worries (Y)

Stewdog
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:32 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: finally an update Reply with quote

its all a bit of an adventure!

From my brief experience thus far i can do West Malling to Old Street in any time between 1hr to 1hr 30 depending on blackwall and the cut thru from the A12 to Old Street traffic wise. (have a habit of intercepting the bin lorries on my way in) tends to be slower in the evening than 9ish when I'm on my way in.

i guess i'm spending £80 - £100 a month on fuel and a tenner on Power one, then the odd chain/sprocket set once things get a bit worn.

i've kept on top of oil changes, a couple of sprocket/chain changes, I even got my hands wet on a thrust bearing and clutch replacement after one of the two breakdowns i've suffered thus far. (touch wood).

Things i've noticed thus far is tyre wear hasn't been too bad considering the 12k this year and the chain tensioners on my bike seem to be made of cheese.

the comments about delivery drivers and some popular taxi companies ring true although i've found some curious displays by moped and cyclists to be the most dangerous and unpredictable entities on the road.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:10 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
LOL WOT?

I Teffed out a bit there.

Implicitly, I was probably factoring in punctures and such, and future proofing the prices for generations of migrant babby yet to be born.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my 2 penneth after recently completing my DAS course

I would highly recommend taking it slowly, the longest session i ever did was 2 hours, and that was long enough for be to be able to concentrate on what i was doing while out riding, then having a 5-10 min debrief, then allowing it all to sink in for a few days, then having another lesson

It took me 6 weeks in total from start to finish, with a total of 10 lessons (varying from 1-2 hours) so a lesson every 4-5 days, gradually ramping up when getting closer to my tests

I know everyone is different, but i certainly felt the time between lesson was well spent allowing all the advice to sink in, however, i felt that when i jumped back onto my little CG125 after the first couple of lessons, it was actually doing me no favours at all, as i was forgetting how the big bike felt, and getting used to the small bike again, then the first half of the next lesson was spent getting used to the big bike again

So after the 1st couple of lessons, i left my 125 alone until i had completed the course, and then promptly sold it

Tracer1234
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Finally an update Reply with quote

Stewdog wrote:

Told me to speak with the office and game over i lost all my confidence and £600 quid in the process.

I may well be very wrong here, but could you knot go back to the same school and ask for the other two days of DAS that you paid for?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Re: Finally an update Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I can get from Hornchurch to Shoreditch (16 miles) in Rush hour in less than 30 minutes (usually). Granted I've been doing it 10+ years.
Rush hour is rarely gridlocked in my Experience. This is a different route to the OP, I reckon I hit gridlock on the way in maybe twice a year, Gridlock on the way out is more like once a month. Even on those days it's more like 40-45 minutes a journey for me. To my Knowledge only once has it taken me longer than an hour (not counting snow) to get home. It has never taken me an hour to get in.

Traffic on my commute has definitely gotten better in the last few years. It used to take me 30 in 35 out not it's more like 25 in ~28 out, I do not think I am any faster.

East London doesn't really get congested unless there's a problem at the Blackwall Tunnel. Despite the congestion charge solving all congestion problems, you still get proper gridlock in central London.

Tracer1234 wrote:
Stewdog wrote:

I may well be very wrong here, but could you knot go back to the same school and ask for the other two days of DAS that you paid for?

It does seem a bit odd.

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:45 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My DAS was 5 days and cost 600 with bike hire tests included
They are there to teach you how to ride a 600 plus bike
I took 2 attempts at mod 1 and passed mod 2 first time had an extra days training as well
We all learn at different rates but if an instructor has written you off after 2 hours then there is something wrong with him not you
Oh and I never had a 125 bike and was a complete novice on motorbikes
Go back get the lessons they owe you and you will be fine

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school I used weren't even going to let me attempt Mod 1 I was that bad at the slow speed stuff, but even then they tried to come up with an arrangement (they'd waive the test fees if I booked more training).

In the end I did Mod 1 as a 'practice', and passed Rolling Eyes, same with Mod 2 straight after (I was fine on the road after a year on a 125). Dunno what the OP's problem was, was it general road riding? I wouldn't expect a noob to have the clutch control for a big bike.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:15 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

In the end I did Mod 1 as a 'practice', and passed Rolling Eyes, same with Mod 2 straight after (I was fine on the road after a year on a 125). Dunno what the OP's problem was, was it general road riding? I wouldn't expect a noob to have the clutch control for a big bike.

I had terrible clutch control until I started to use two fingers instead of four!

Stewdog
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:53 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So response via centre was they couldn't offer me additional training or time. as it was already booked in with the instructor etc. there seemed a fair amount of apathy towards what happened.

I would lose the test fees obviously anyway, and would need to come back in year and pay again Sad

regarding my riding issues, it was clutch control. 100%. as you can imagine an element of careening around! even basic hill start became an issue.

Probably didn't help that the guy i trained alongside was redoing his MOD1/2 after losing licence i think so was cruising. think they wanted to get through it quick.

You guys are probably right, perhaps going back again and seeing what they say now a bit of water is under the bridge, is worth another try.

Im frustrated i got myself in this situ but also at the way it panned out with them.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 07 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes you feel any better I don't think I really developed proper clutch control until after my test, around town at least. I definitely lost it again after having an 8 month break from riding (we'll gloss over why) only a few months after getting my license.

A 3-day DAS does seem kinda short for a greenhorn, I did one with a much more experienced friend, similar situation he basically breezed it (he had years on a big bike riding illegally) although he was worse than me at hill starts and struggled a bit with u-turns.

I think see if the school are willing to do anything, if not go elsewhere. Only school I routinely hear good things about are Camrider, but they're based in North London now. They're expensive but have had winter 2 for 1 training (Nov' - March iirc) offers on in the past if you can find a second person, and I dunno if it's a plus or negative for you but the training's spread out into 'sessions'. We sent them a bunch of complete autists from work and have had no fatalities or major accidents (yet) Thumbs Up

Mark_UK
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:13 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say, Stewdog, you will find your DAS much much easier now that you have been playing around on the 125 for a few months. I was on my 125 for 4 months before moving up. I can't even begin to imagine what I would have been like doing DAS straight after CBT, probably on my arse looking at the front wheel in the air. 125 to 600 is a massive difference.

Clutch control is everything! I passed my Mod 2 7 weeks ago, and it took me another 4 or 5 weeks to learn to stop stalling the engine on my FZ600 when setting off from lights.

It's well worth doing it though. On the 125, you want to overtake the wagon in front doing 55 in a 70 zone, and it takes forever. All that time, you are in his blind spot, and he could swerve out and bowling-pin you. On the 600, it takes 2 seconds to be in front of him and safe again Smile

Good luck, and keep up the updates Wink

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:21 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

I have actually heard that from other folks who still live there. When I was doing it was the absolute worst it ever was before all the new measures came in to deal with it.

As a courier it was usually a case of them wanting me to be right in the middle of the city at 8:00 at the start of the day which meant battling the worst of rush hours every morning for 20 miles from where I lived. From there then you might stay in town all day or get jobs out of town and sometimes never even see London again that day, but every morning they wanted you right in the middle of it at the beginning of the office day to start with.

At one point I was also commuting from Enfield to Croydon every day right at rush hour and you either go all the way round the M25 or try to slog straight through the middle of London, either way it took millions of years each way. But It's apparently much better now.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 08 Sep 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
But It's apparently much better now.

I've no idea what people are smoking. I don't do Chris' commute so his may have done, but congestion in London has definitely got worse, due to all the ill-thought-out cycling infrastructure that has sprung up over the last few years. Also general traffic management in central and west London aims to keep everyone on main roads, East has a lot less of it so there are more rat runs.

I used to be able to avoid most congestion in the work van, now I've just had to accept I'm going to spend a large part of the day sat in traffic Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4