Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bastardised something....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Bastardised something.... Reply with quote

The weather's terrible....

To still be able to get out in this and have a bit of fun, could I get something small and cheap with soft suspension like a CBR/CBF125 and stick some dualsport/knobbly tires on and use it for both on and off road/green laning?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:01 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can find an MZ125 (the old 2-stroke ones). Cheap as chips, easy to maintain and have a proven six day trials heritage.

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

None around it appears. I'd like a nice easy 4 stroke, something readily available and cheap to play with until the proper weather appears Cool I don't know anything about it but there must be tyres that will do both on and off road

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have to be a 125? What's your budget?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:07 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Re: Bastardised something.... Reply with quote

Silver_Fox wrote:

To still be able to get out in this and have a bit of fun, could I get something small and cheap with soft suspension like a CBR/CBF125 and stick some dualsport/knobbly tires on and use it for both on and off road/green laning?

Fine for a lot of off road, providing you don't mind making good use of the little power the engine has.

Knobbly tyres will be worse in the poor weather on the road, however.

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Not necessarily a 125, I was just thinking light, cheaper etc (and the other half could use it too while she's learning), and off-road style bikes seem to be pretty tall generally (I'm 5ft 6). But no, not necessarily a 125

I've since found this. Pretty awesome Laughing

(although I can't find these tyres in the UK)

https://www.dualsportbc.com/forums/showthread.php?12447-Tomcycles-CBR125R-conversion-to-CBR125DS

https://www.dualsportbc.com/photogallery/data/973/medium/SDC11926.JPG

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:05 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Re: Bastardised something.... Reply with quote

What's your budget?

I believe they did an off road version of the YBR125, but don't think it was in the UK and it's just a case of spoked wheels and some hand guards I think.

I'd probably take a bodged CBR125 over that - ideally with a spare set of wheels so you can swap for road use.

Could also consider a road legal pit bike, but not great if you want to leave it anywhere witout a massive chain. Offers the option of a perkier engine with bigger cc.

I believe small wheel 85cc motocross bikes have 17" fronts while big wheel of the same have 17" rears; motocross tyres will be a lot more aggressive than those pictured, but that's often what you need in gloopy English mud.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Re: Bastardised something.... Reply with quote

Silver_Fox wrote:

Warm(ish) soft and squidgy. It's great. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Cdb1991
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:09 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about a dt125 ? perfect for green laning and made as a road legal bike so cant be all bad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of bastardising something that's not meant to be, why not just buy something like an XR125 or XT125?

Personally though, I wouldn't get a 125 unless I had to as you'll likely pay learner prices for it.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:

Personally though, I wouldn't get a 125 unless I had to as you'll likely pay learner prices for it.

yeah often is the case

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would keep an eye out for the cheapest reasonable 125 you can get your hands on. I would sooner take a less sought after 125, maybe one that slipped past the learners so much for a cheaper price.

Although to be fair, I am keeping an eye out for a DOHC 16 Valve 1.4 Micra K11 without too much rot, for a reasonable price, to put knobblies on it. Laughing
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://memecrunch.com/meme/4WPOB/rolf-harris-approves/image.png?w=500&c=1

Too soon? Laughing

Seriously though, the sensible choice is something already designed for the job. Not as comical as that CBR above though. I'd love to rock up to the biker Café on that Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:47 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver_Fox wrote:

Seriously though, the sensible choice is something already designed for the job. Not as comical as that CBR above though. I'd love to rock up to the biker Café on that Laughing

If you want it short, 125cc and a cheap commuter (with the caveat that you have two sets of wheels), I think that CBR would do a decent enough job.

You only need a tall bike for getting over tall obstacles.
Rare you get a need for it on UK green lanes.

Low slung exhaust etc not so good and is quite likely to rot I suspect.

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:55 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no offroad experience on a motorbike (although I'm fairly handy on a mountain bike), so I don't need anything for proper off roading, just capable of taking less than perfect conditions or a field etc, but still be road legal.

If I was going the CBR route for example, any suggestions where to look for tyres etc?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:00 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought something like this ... 100/70 17 motocross; note, probably isn't road legal, but will give you plenty of grip.
There definitely are other (cheap) options available that are less serious but road legal.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find it at the moment but there is an, extensive, thread on here about someone converting an old Honda road bike into to something off road.
There's even a photo of it flying over a jump, (still in on piece)!
I think it was a CD200 or similar, I'm sure someone will remember it.

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoikes....DT, XR and XL all starting from £1300. I wanted a cheapy bit of fun Shocked

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver_Fox wrote:
Zoikes....DT, XR and XL all starting from £1300. I wanted a cheapy bit of fun Shocked

Bollocks, you get em sub 1k if you try hard enough (probably not the DT), keep looking. Mr. Green

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear a Honda City Fly could take some abuse before it fell apart, just bin all the bits you don't need, stick some knobbly tyres on it, and try not to break the clutch?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Re: Bastardised something.... Reply with quote

Silver_Fox wrote:

In theory, all you need is a set of knobblies!
Have a look at some pictures of early trials bikes, they're just, heavy, British road bikes, with a few weight saving tweaks and heavily treaded tyres, look at the dispatch bikes from WWII, they're the same. There was no such thing as an off the shelf off road motorbike then.

If all you want to do is trundle, slowly, along a flat muddy/gravel track it should be fine.
If you start hitting lumps and bumps at higher speeds, I'd guess that the average commuter bike frame will give up the ghost and fail, spectacularly, at some point!
If you want to do anything more than trundling, you'll need more suspension travel, possibly different steering/suspension geometry, mucho electrical waterproofing and protection of vital components, a sump guard and some additional frame bracing! You'll also want some footpegs that your boots won't slip off!

Having said that, at last years TT there were a few C90's, stripped of all creature comforts, fitted with knobblies. In fact, one of them was ferrying people, via a green lane, to another part of the course!

Don't forget, what you and I consider a green lane mini adventure, is merely a mundane, everyday, commute to the shop, in certain parts of the world, and they seem to manage on any old bike/scooter, with at least two other family members and a chicken on board!

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I swear a Honda City Fly could take some abuse before it fell apart, just bin all the bits you don't need, stick some knobbly tyres on it, and try not to break the clutch?

Yep! That's the badger. I bet a city fly could be had for not much and is nearly there already,looks like a naked varadero, which did alright off road, just could have done with better shoes.
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should say that, it was actually someone getting the very same bike that got me thinking about it! Is there something about the Cityfly that makes it semi-suitable from the off? I thought it looked kind of faux off-road but didn't see more than that really...

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Re: Bastardised something.... Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

In theory, all you need is a set of knobblies!
Have a look at some pictures of early trials bikes, they're just, heavy, British road bikes, with a few weight saving tweaks and heavily treaded tyres, look at the dispatch bikes from WWII, they're the same. There was no such thing as an off the shelf off road motorbike then.

One of my TRF friends..... Very Happy
https://www.trf.org.uk/living-in-the-past/

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of anything, other than the fact it sort of looks the part. Probably will be not much different to a CBR 125 with knobblies but with higher ground clearance, possibly stronger wheels? Longer suspension, and needs less work to prep for how you're describing.

Like I said earlier, probably cheaper than the CBR all dem yoofs want.

I keep thinking about an SLR650 but I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit to that yet, I suspect it might be a bit disappointing. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2