BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clothing?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Andy Rider
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Clothing? Reply with quote

Hi, completely new to motorcycling, so new in fact I haven't ridden one yet! Booked in to do my CBT and DAS over Jan/Feb and than looking to get a nice naked motorbike (currently liking the Triumph Street Triple Very Happy)

Just wondering about clothing is armour essential? I expect I'll probably come off at some point... But want a casual "cafe" look I guess jeans and jacket. Currently looking at (I do like the first one, but no armour, more fashion than biking?)

Jackets:
https://www.belstaff.co.uk/men/outerwear/jackets/tunstall-blouson-steel-grey/71020271D71N0009-SteelGrey.html
or
https://www.belstaff.co.uk/men/collections/pure-motorcycle/xman-racing-blouson-black/41020020J61N4970-Black.html
or
https://www.dainese.com/en_en/g-black-hawk-pelle-77915.html

And helmets? seem to range from £30-£1000? is it a case of you get what you pay for? they all come with the CE marks.

Thanks for any advice Smile

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be legal you need a helmet that's it....So, the other stuff you wear is totally down to your own choice/ taste an how much you want to protect yourself

Helmets, you really need to go into a shop an try on, as helmets all fit differently you maybe a L in an Arai but an XL in a AGV.

where abouts are you based? is there anywhere close to you that sells clothing?

oh an good luck with your test(s)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear what you like armour wise, but if you come off and get spazzed don't cry about it.

I wear normal jeans on the legs, and a spada staffy on top. I imagine that's the look your after. Also check out Urbano Tuccanos Steve jacket, or if you don't mind paying more, Barbour jackets.

Helmets all have to pass the same safety tests to be sold in the UK. generally with inflated price comes extras. They do make a difference! I have mostly always worn cheap helmets, but I have tried fancy brand helmets, and they are often much quieter, lighter and comfier. Go try a load on and try from different brands. I wear a Nexx X60 which has lasted 2-3 years of constant daily use and looks like something you would like. Its light and durable and under £100.

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as gear goes, get the gear that suits when you will ride. If you'll commute in the rain, get waterproof stuff. If you're a dry weather guy, get something abrasion resistant.

Armour is always a plus, but you can get armoured shirts that go under your jacket. Possible option if you want a sleek looking jacket.

Helmet wise, you do get what you pay for. Not necessarily in safety terms, but in build quality, longevity etc. If you're using a helmet heavily, expect to spend a fair bit for something that will last without vents getting grit in them, visors warping, lining wearing through etc. Fitting will be the most important aspect in terms of how safe the helmet is. All modern helmets are safe enough that you should buy based on looks/fit/build quality.

My AGV K3 lasted about 14 months, the visor was warped, it let rain in round the seals at the top and through some vents, the front chin vent has so much dirt in it, it doesn't work. The cheekpads have wear marks at two corners fully through the material. That was a £180 helmet. Be sure to check reviews thoroughly.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:37 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belstaff is an iconic British marque selling Romanian garments ordered by an American running an Italian subsidiary of a German company.

I reckon you could do better with your money.

You can get kevlar lined jeans with armour, and I would and did. Standard denim jeans are the chocolate teapot of protection and will wear through within fractions of a second in a slide. Armoured ones don't tend to be the height of fashion, but if you want to drop 3 figures then some of the decent stuff from Hood or Sartso can look OK.

Lids, go on fit. More money just gets you lighter, or a shell that more closely follows head size (and thus may have less polystyrene in it) or more features. Some of the cheapest thermoplastic lids do a better job of protecting you in a survivable impact.

I'd suggest that you don't go mad with a first set of gear. There's plenty of barely worn used stuff on eBay or Gumtree. Buy what you want, wear it, and see if you want to stick with it, armour up or go casual.

Andy Rider
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:53 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I did pop into On Yer Bike in Aylesbury at the weekend in fact it's their fault I started looking at Belstaff but struggled to find anything in my size, clothes wise, didn't look at lids Smile I'm a pretty small guy 36-38" chest.

There's still a couple of other local-ish shops I can pop in, and try stuff out. Got a while to check these things out. Only thing I've bought so far is some boots in the sale.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on ebay for lightly used jackets etc - especially smaller sizes as either people get fat or jackets shrink, apparently.
Good bike gear will last several years if you don't come off and wreck it, so no reason something that looks decent won't be great value.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Standard denim jeans are the chocolate teapot of protection and will wear through within fractions of a second in a slide.

I agree with kevlar jeans, because if some is good, more is better. That said, I've tested the above irl (rather than just internet hearsay) and have to disagree, decent quality jeans held up fine when sliding to a stop from around 25-30mph. Levi's rather than primark sort of quality.

I'd still go for the kevlar because I reckon the majority of my actual riding is done above 30mph.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:25 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely (not inevitable but likely) that a shop is going to steer you towards whatever generates the highest margins for them, rather than the best value for you.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst thing you can do when you've got money in your pocket, an urge to spend it on gear and no knowledge at all is ask for help because the people working in the shop, as borg says, will attempt to make the most profit meanwhile putting a fake smile on and giving you all the sales talk they can.

Take a look on sportsbikeshop's website (just google "sportsbikeshop") and take a look at what you like the look of, find local shops that sell that gear on try it on in person and see whatever's cheaper and buy it from there if you like it and think it's for you, again, walking into a gear store without knowledge isn't a great idea IMO.

Sticking with your original requirements meanwhile attempting to point you towards motorbike gear with some protection rather than non my personal advice would be (1) anke boots (2) kevlar jeans (3) textile jacket and then of course gloves and a helmet.

However since you haven't even done your CBT yet I'd play close attention to the confirmation email and see what gear they require you to wear in order to be allowed to take it and what they can and cannot provide. By the time DAS comes around you want to consider what weather you'll be doing your tests in and riding around all day since your hands can become cold and controls hard to handle with the wrong gear very quickly.

If you're seriously looking at spending £350 on a jacket alone you could get a textile jacket, textile trousers, boots, gloves and a helmet for that, well I think I did it at maybe ten pound give or take. That all get you through both your CBT and DAS and then once you've got your own bike you can purchase the gear that will be suitable for the type of riding and weather you wish to ride in over time meanwhile having a spare set of kit.

Andy Rider
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys. One of the reasons I've come on a forum asking for a bit of advice is I fear sales people Wink I never expect to get the best advice from them.

The place I've booked to do my CBT and DAS have said they can supply everything apart from boots, hence my boots purchase (Dainese Vera Cruz, in the sale at ~£60)

I have been looking at kevlar jeans and/ or waterproof over-trousers I can wear over whatever I usually wear.

Jacket wise I figured up to £400 for a "decent" jacket was the going rate! Expected it to last a fair few years.

I will be looking to use the bike year round so will need to invest in all weather gear eventually.

Gloves is another area I need to look into more. they seem to vary from things that look like they come from a scene in Mad Max to things that look like driving gloves. Probably something in the middle to fit in with the "look" whilst still offering a reasonable amount of protection.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Will Ride A Bike wrote:
Jacket wise I figured up to £400 for a "decent" jacket was the going rate! Expected it to last a fair few years.

I will be looking to use the bike year round so will need to invest in all weather gear eventually.

Gloves is another area I need to look into more. they seem to vary from things that look like they come from a scene in Mad Max to things that look like driving gloves. Probably something in the middle to fit in with the "look" whilst still offering a reasonable amount of protection.

£400 on a jacket?!!? I got a barely used Goretex IXS jacket for £90 on ebay. It'd retail around that price but you'd never catch a tight-as-a-nats-chuff northerner like me actually paying that.

Gloves, I'd suggest you ultimately will have 2 pairs, winter/rainy ones and some airy summer ones. Then you'll get muffs on your bike, because you'll want to be as cool as many of us on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RedPanda
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:26 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two textile jackets, made by Alpinestars and Ixon so half decent brands and they were both around £100 (on eBay). My leather RST jacket was £240. £400 would be real top of the range or paying for the logo gear.

Glove-wise I'd spend as much as you can on warm winter ones, your hands will still get freezing. Muffs do work but they can be a pain when trying to indicate. You don't need to spend so much on summer gloves, as long as they offer the correct protection.

The next time I buy a lid I will try a few on then go buy one for cheaper online.

Also, buy neutral colours so you're not caught out the next time you buy a bike. Don't go for too many pale colours though as everything will soon end up dirty and grey.

Bigvern72
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend top dollar on your lid - you can lose most body parts and carry on with life......but lose your head and your stuffed.

The rest is doable without armour if that's your style, but I'd definitely go for the Kevlar jeans. Should get a decent pair of those for £90 or so.

Just my opinion ofc

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:01 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigvern72 wrote:
Spend top dollar on your lid - you can lose most body parts and carry on with life......but lose your head and your stuffed.

What's the connection between price and protection?

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeans offer bugger all in the way of protection. I carried out my own test of this by falling off my bike at <20mph and ripping straight through a pair.

Proper Cafe racers had Lewis Leathers,

If you've got plenty of cash to splash, then go for these.

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a pair of chinese type kevlar trousers. Even the 100 quid brands only put kevlar on the contact bits ( arse n thighs) .

They are a comfy fit and look well made. £30 off ebay.

Second hand leather jacket...
New lids arent expensive . forget cool looking brands like bandit. Cheap shite.
Budget 25-50. Just because a more expensive lid has a bigger price tag doesnt mean itll do more than have nicer vents.

Otherwise i got myself a full frank thomas leather kit for 180....

Depends what you want. Summer deffo converse replicas. kevlar jeans and my leather rst jacket.

Bigvern72
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Bigvern72 wrote:

What's the connection between price and protection?

I might only be 43 - but in my experience in life you generally get what you pay for. Pay cheap money, get cheap protection. I've not been wrong so far.......

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

... within reason. Cheap stuff's normally cheap, the mid-range stuff good, then the expensive stuff's the same quality just sold at a premium. Eg: I wouldn't buy AVG over a Shark expecting a better lid, I would buy a Shark over Box or equivalent.

You can get some decent cheap gear. For the last few years I've been rocking a Spada jacket that cost £35, and some Lidl armoured gloves (iirc they were about £15).

I'm not sold on textile trousers, they're too uncomfortable for me, but I would probably force myself to wear them if I did more motorway or NSL riding. Kevlar jeans have been alright so far, having knee pads is important IMO.

Boots again, I wear them, but they've so little feeling I'd probably go for some sturdy boots. Anything more likely to stay on your feet than trainers, although it depends on the type of riding you'll be doing.

Anyhoo I wouldn't run out and spunk a grand on gear before you've ridden a bike, shop around and there are deals to be had.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:42 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't even done your CBT yet!
Have you checked with the school what they 'suggest' you have before you go do the course? What they can provide to do the course? What is the 'minimum' they insist you have?
And start by thinking LUNCH!
I've give far too many CBT's to, over keen students in 'all the gear', stood on a wet windy industrial estate car-park, getting ever more 'dizzy' from going round and round in circles, and being HUNGRY and having tight bike wear cutting off circulation to vital parts of their anatomy.... wondering what the plan for LUNCH is!

THIS is far more pertinent to you right now, than getting 'best value' and 'most style' in your chosen motorcycle apparel!

Worry about dong the course; make sure you have a good nights sleep, and a packed lunch, with plenty of, fun-size for recommend, mars bars or similar in the box (You can always 'share' Wink ) and take plenty to drink.

CBT is Compulsory Basic Training, course is designed to teach you ALL 'The Basics' about riding a motorbike, and there is a whole section of the syllabus devoted to talking about Riding 'Gear' and 'Safety Wear', intended to answer this exact question (& often rather disappointing for teacher to sit there, looking at a class-room full of students all dressed in their 'My First Motorcycle Outfits', wasting that advice, as they have often wasted a lot of money on them!).

DON'T buy anything you don't NEED to, until you have done the course and got that learning!

Of what you might 'NEED' lunch is still top of the list.... then, you will be expected to be suitably dressed for a day out-doors have 'sturdy' out-door footwear, not trainers.

DVSA requirements say You will have to wear Crash-Helmet, Gloves, and a Hi-Vis vest. You may like to buy your own hat and gloves before the course, to save wearing stuff other folk have had their sweaty mits and greasy hair in, or school may tell you they don't provide kit.

If you do go shopping for that, I advise you to NOT try and make a 'life-time-buy'; think 'cheap' and 'disposable' and save your money to buy 'better' gear when you have got a bit more know-how and are actually doing it regular and know better what's more useful and important.

And of what you might buy... in THIS country.. the only 'dedicated' bit of biking gear I would advice you might get is a set of water-proof cover-alls!

I tend to find I need protection from the rain, in Britain far more than I do from sliding down tarmac on my bum!.

And a cheap rain-suit need only cost £20-£30, and will cover whatever you wear underneath, to make you 'look' like a biker, and tend not to restrict your blood suply!

As for 'Style'... yeah.. again, go get some 'Learning'..... to most folk, IF they even bother to look, and most don't we look like freaks. Stupid freaks. No, cold, wet, half drowned stupid freaks!

To most people in the street? Riding a motorcycle is a curious thing to do. Its 'dangerouse', you get cold, you get wet, and WHY don't we drive a car, like 'sensible' people, and stay safe, and warm and dry? So we MUST be 'stupid', and to dress like some sort of post-apocalyptic tribal punkster, deep-sea diver, or power-ranger space-man, whilst we are about it? Cold, wet, half drowned STUPID 'freaks'...

And that is if they bother to look, ad even more bother to think much about what they see!

Most don't. They dont think, they dont look and when they knock us off, they say "Sorry-Mate-I-Didn't-See-You!" (SMIDSY) and THEMS are the ones who most should be looking!

So, 'style'? Matters little! If no one else is going to care, why should you!

WATER-PROOF OVER-SUIT!

Remember... rans a lot in this country... that's what you are going to be wearing most in all probability! THAT s what most folk will see. when you are on the bike.... what you look like when you get off the bike? Well, what you got under the overalls? You don't have to 'dress like a biker' under the outer-layer! You can be as fashionable or stylish as you like underneath! And you don't have to dress like a biker, 'off' the bike!

But either way, sod the style! Dress to ride, dress to be comfy, warm and dry and able to move! TEN worry about safety 'padding' incase yo fall off, and THEN, somewhere an awful long way down the list might you want to worry about what you 'look-like' to the masses who don't bother to look and have even less care if they do!

Here and now? Just sort yourself out for your first lesson CBT, and think LUNCH!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at kevlar jeans and/ or waterproof over-trousers I can wear over whatever I usually wear.

The only reason I see that you'll ever need to wear something under kevlar jeans is because you're commuting to work and have no where to put your work trousers. In the weather that kevlar jeans are suited to (warm days) you won't want to be riding around layered up because it will just be overkill, sadly those days are limited giving the UK's weather.

If you're going to chose to ride in non waterproof gear then I'd say carrying the over trousers would be a must for all year round riding.

I don't see why you wouldn't do that first given that you're doing your CBT and DAS in Jan/Feb, two very cold, wet and crap months to be riding. I'd also see all weather gear as a must in that since you'll be (or aim to) ride all year round (weather permitting) then you'll be using it the most. I'd wait until it's actually warm before investing in the gear you've got eye on at the moment.

From what I gather thus far no rider has from the invisible glove that keeps out all cold and all rain so go with what fits, is comfortable and has good reviews and you like the style of. My first winter I rode around in a cheap pair of frank thomas gloves with a thin glove underneath and survived. For the most part I'd say that a thin under-glove is probably the best cheap addition you can ride with beside investing in gloves that claim to be full winter gloves, certainly cheaper to try out at least.

Might be worth considering a pair of thermal layers for when you do your DAS and are going to be out on the bike all day. Cheap pair from J&S have done me fine thus far every time I've worn them.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:35 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigvern72 wrote:
I might only be 43 - but in my experience in life you generally get what you pay for. Pay cheap money, get cheap protection. I've not been wrong so far.......

I'd suggest that you read this study which concludes that a cheap thermoplastic shell does as good a job or better than a top of the line glass or carbon fibre shell.

The expensive ones will keep your head looking prettier in massive impacts that turn your brain to jelly anyway, if that matters.

Bigvern72
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:44 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Bigvern72 wrote:

I'd suggest that you read this study which concludes that a cheap thermoplastic shell does as good a job or better than a top of the line glass or carbon fibre shell.

The expensive ones will keep your head looking prettier in massive impacts that turn your brain to jelly anyway, if that matters.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm curious what Moto GP riders and F1 drivers wear though......

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expensive ones. Like those expensive watches and sunglasses they are paid to wear.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:08 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigvern72 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
I'd suggest that you read this study

Maybe, maybe not. I'm curious what Moto GP riders and F1 drivers wear though......

If you take the time to read it, it'll answer that question.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3