Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Andy Rider
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:45 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks once again Smile

Some good advice (including LUNCH!)

For what it's worth Teflon-Mike, I have no intention of gearing up before I do the CBT and DAS. Well maybe during the DAS I'll start purchasing bits, lid, jacket etc... As I said earlier the place I'm training at have said they will supply everything apart from boots (and lunch) so I'm in no rush to go splash my cash. Came here for advice on what to be looking at. TBH I wasn't aware there'd be a section on that on the CBT, but makes sense there is. And explains why they were so happy when I said I had nothing at the time of booking. The instructor is going to love me Smile although now I go armed with random internet forum peoples advice as well... Very Happy

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I geared up before CBT.

Fuck wearing clothing from the kit box.

rubyhorse2
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:02 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

think you've had plenty of advice about what to buy already so i'll just say that whatever you get you will end up changing.

Gear is very specific to each individual and, from my point of view, takes a while to know what you like and need. Its taken me a few years to finally be happy with my various garments.

jacket - one leather with removable internal for mainly summer use

Gloves - fit and protection and the main things, i've got 2 summer pairs, one short and one long, one fully waterproof and one winter set.

Pants - one leather set for summer and hooning, one goretex for winter, rain and general riding to shops etc

lid - one expensive lid for weekend hoons, one cheaper lid for week day commuting

Boots - one cheap commuting pair, one expensive weekend pair and one summer short ankle pair.

As i say, this took a while to know what i needed and which fit best etc. Biking can cost a lot Smile

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:44 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a new biker and needed some gear. I looked about but how can you know whats good for you or not really.

In the end I went with a sportsbike deal that gave me a jacket and trousers for £99, threw in some boots and gloves, (already had a helmet) for a grand total of £185 or thereabouts.

I accept its not going to be best quality but if it gets me through the first year or so I'll have a better idea of what I really want/need without spending thousands first.

That's the theory anyway!!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:
I'm a new biker and needed some gear. I looked about but how can you know whats good for you or not really.

In the end I went with a sportsbike deal that gave me a jacket and trousers for £99, threw in some boots and gloves, (already had a helmet) for a grand total of £185 or thereabouts.

I accept its not going to be best quality but if it gets me through the first year or so I'll have a better idea of what I really want/need without spending thousands first.

That's the theory anyway!!

And a good theory Thumbs Up

Until you know what YOU are comfortable with you can't make decisions and deciding that £500 set of leathers isn't exactly what you thought it would be is not a good feeling.

Andy Rider
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that work with bikes as well? how am I meant to know I'll like my bike, after spending several £1,000 on it?

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Will Ride A Bike wrote:
Does that work with bikes as well? how am I meant to know I'll like my bike, after spending several £1,000 on it?

Well test rides are out of the question, given the fact you've never ridden before.

You'll be able to sit on bikes and make the noises though. Bit of guesswork at the start. See if any mates have any bikes you could sit on and perhaps try, after you have a CBT?

If you explain what you're looking for in a bike, we'd be able to point you in a direction, but only you know what you like the look of and its purposes in your life. Different types of engines ride differently but that's a little premature for you to be thinking about that quite yet, I think.

Andy Rider
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha ha already done the sitting on bit of a few bikes. Forgot to make the sounds though!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:59 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're unlikely to get the ideal bike first (or tenth) try, so just get something cheapish and fairly neutral like an ER6 or Blandit. How you get on with that will inform your next choice.

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:10 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a better idea of what you want after you had done the tests. You will most likely do these on a 500/600 twin, so you can at least count those in or out.

Most of us have bought with our heart though, not our heads. So whatever you drool over Drooling

Nomad Z
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:41 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say go for substance before style. If you can get style as well as substance, then all well and good.

In general, bike clothing is supposed to be safety equipment. It has to be able to withstand a certain amount of abrasion if you come off and slide down the road. There are some numbers I read somewhere (can't remember where, or the specifics) about how much flesh is removed for each mile per hour over 30mph if you slide down the road for X time with no abrasion protection. It was being counted in depths of 1mm, I think. That's skin, fat and muscle being scraped off and left on the tarmac.

The purpose of armour is to put increased protection at the bits that stick out because they can take the brunt of the abrasion - knees, hips, elbows, shoulders, upper back and shoulder blades. Helmet and good boots do the same thing.

How much protection you feel you need, or how much you're willing to risk sustaining worse injuries than you otherwise might, is entirely up to you. Personally, I think 400 quid for a posey jacket that has no armour and might not even be waterproof, sounds like a lot of money going in the wrong direction.

There's a saying: Dress for the slide, not for the ride.

As Teflon Mike says, nobody gives a toss what you look like - you're just another biker. When you're on the bike, you can't see what you look like either, so it's arguable that you shouldn't give (too much of) a toss either.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'd suggest that you read this study which concludes that a cheap thermoplastic shell does as good a job or better than a top of the line glass or carbon fibre shell.

Thanks for that. I've seen similar stuff for pushbike helmets so knew how these things are supposed to work (and for pushbikes the answer is nowhere near as well as "common sense" would have you believe), but not for bikes.

Andy Rider
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a far point about protection over style. and one I will be taking. Think I always was going to! But still willing to pay more for stylish protection Very Happy

I cycle a lot and wear stupid cycling specific clothing so am well aware how much of an idiot I'm going to look, both on and off the bike Wink

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

When choosing a lid (I'd select based on SHARP ratings and comfort) wear it in the shop for 15-30 minutes. Small pressure points you barely notice in 90 seconds can become agony over the course of a couple of hours. If it's properly comfy after 15 minutes it's probably fine.

Different manufacturers cater for different shaped heads and you'll find you simply cannot tolerate some brands.

Here speaketh someone who bought an HJC for his CBT and then bought an Arai the following day. That CBT was agony.

(Also heed Tef: You need protecting from the tarmac maybe once or twice in your riding career - you need protecting from the weather daily)

Nomad Z
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:41 - 13 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have said that the armour is also to protect from impacts, given that the sticky-outy bits tend to land first. The one bit that isn't really covered as well is the palm side of the hands.

And, as others have said, effective waterproofing is pretty important if you plan on riding in all weathers.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:08 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RST, IXS, Hein Gerike. Brands worth considering that will be considerably better in your wallet than belstaff.

There is the most amazing bit of long way down where ewan and charley are getting piss wet through in their custom belstaff gimpsuits and a fat frenchman mocks them for not having a cheap oversuit and cheap overboots amongst their extensive pile of kit.

Perhaps investigate combinations of textile, leather and denim from one manufacturer so it fits together?

I did my cbt with my own gloves and lid, gaining some handmedown jackets and trousers shortly after, and I've upgraded slowly since then. I think i kitted she who is occasionally consulted out with a hjc is17 lid, rst jacket and trousers, boots and some ixs goretex gloves for about 500.

Look for "xtrafit" on gloves if you have the pennies. Less bulky. My own ixs goretex/xtrafit gloves see most of my riding and they feel great. It's muffs and heated grips in this weather, but muffs over bigger gloves every time. I only just got my heated grips back on. Don't need them that often with the muffs, but they get used a lot when i dont have the muffs and it is unseasonanly cold and wet.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:29 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:

Perhaps investigate combinations of textile, leather and denim from one manufacturer so it fits together?

The "fit together" is a pain. I've got Furygan textile jacket and trousers, which zip together. A Bering leather jacket (same parent company as Furygan) which has a shorter zip that is the other way up (pull on the trouser side rather than the jacket) and a pair of BMW goretex leather trousers that have a completely different zip type.

They do all fit together now; the spare bottom half of the Furygan jacket zip got sewn onto the BMW trousers, the spare top half of the Furygan trouser zip got sewn onto the spare bottom half of the Bering jacket zip to make an adaptor (so the Bering jacket zips onto the adaptor and I can then zip it to either pair of trousers). I don't bother zipping my jeans into either jacket.

It really shouldn't be beyond manufacturers to standardise on zips, like most outdoor clothing manufacturers in the 90s standardised on an "interactive" fleece zip so that you could zip e.g. a North Face fleece into a Lowe Alpine Goretex jacket.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:21 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've possibly zipped one jacket to one pair of trousers, once, although it may be a false memory.

Andy Rider
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:24 - 14 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are peoples opinions of Dainese? Over priced paying for the name or good quality?

I have source a lid, jacket and trousers all for not much more than I was thinking of spending on a jacket Smile

ryanguy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:53 - 18 Jan 2016    Post subject: Protective gear Reply with quote

It really is important to be safe and have a helmet/clothes that are comfortable for you, so like lots of people have said, just go try lots of stuff out!

There's some useful info here on things like leather vs. textile and the types of prices you can pay for different brands: https://www.devittinsurance.com/guides/motorcycling-for-beginners/motorcycle-safety-for-beginners/ and as well as this THINK has a really good guide: https://think.direct.gov.uk/assets/pdf/dg_195215.pdf

Worth checking those out for some more details Thumbs Up

Hope that helps!

Ryan

simsim
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:26 - 22 Jan 2016    Post subject: Best clothing Brand Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I'm new on here, and I'm gonna be starting my motorcycle training soon. Can't wait. Was just wandering what the best brand of clothing you recommend?

Cheers

Sim

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:05 - 22 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best for what purpose?

Best for what budget?

If you're not sure, then RST gear is affordable and decent enough.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:11 - 22 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would double check what you're getting on the items your looking at, to see if anything's lacking like boots that don't have heel armour and so on.

Fiona84
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:40 - 02 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Keep an eye on ebay for lightly used jackets etc - especially smaller sizes as either people get fat or jackets shrink, apparently.
Good bike gear will last several years if you don't come off and wreck it, so no reason something that looks decent won't be great value.

I've kitted myself out with barely used Hein Gericke stuff on eBay, and I'm a size 8. I put some last minute bids in and got some real bargains Smile
Currently on the look out for some textile trousers to match my jacket (they're the Sheltex ones that look like black denim). Found some but they're £70 Sad
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 248 days between these two posts...
J10443 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 203 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3