Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Obtaining A License without training school

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

G30
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:00 - 09 Jan 2016    Post subject: Obtaining A License without training school Reply with quote

Hi,

I have my own 'A' License bike and have been quoted £400 to do my tests and training again with a school using one of their bikes. Despite saying I don't need training but an hour or so before the test (mod1) to get used to doing slow speed maneuvers on a different bike. Which I'm sure will be pretty straightforward anyway.

The reason why I want to use a school is it's simple. Especially with insurance for mod2. A couple years ago they gave me the impression all I would have to do is pay for bike hire/instructor fees and no training if I didn't want it. It came to around £250 inc the tests and is obviously the hassle-free way of doing things.

My mate can ride my bike there on the day but will just need to show insurance for mod2. Do I just need to call an insurer and see if they will do it? Should I expect stupid prices for a 45 min test? Basically weighing up the £400 vs getting my own bike there.

--

tl;dr: how do I get insurance for mod2 when I haven't actually got my license yet, but will technically have it on the same day if the policy starts on the day I pass the test.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 09 Jan 2016    Post subject: Re: Obtaining A License without training school Reply with quote

G30 wrote:
Hi,

I have my own 'A' License bike and have been quoted £400 to do my tests and training again with a school using one of their bikes. Despite saying I don't need training but an hour or so before the test (mod1) to get used to doing slow speed maneuvers on a different bike. Which I'm sure will be pretty straightforward anyway.

The problem is, most bike schools will not agree to just turning up and an hour or so training on their bikes because they have never actually seen you ride. You could tell them you have X amount of big bike riding experience and are a professional stunt rider and they would still not trust it because, well would you put someone on one of your company bikes without assessing their skill first?

G30 wrote:
My mate can ride my bike there on the day but will just need to show insurance for mod2. Do I just need to call an insurer and see if they will do it? Should I expect stupid prices for a 45 min test? Basically weighing up the £400 vs getting my own bike there.

--

tl;dr: how do I get insurance for mod2 when I haven't actually got my license yet, but will technically have it on the same day if the policy starts on the day I pass the test.

Bikesure will insure people under L plates, but the chances are it will be just as expensive as doing the DAS you were quoted for.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

And from What I seen around Bike shop / workshop

Taking test without training most often means retaking than as lots seem to fail

Get training yes it cost but it means you stand a good chance of passing and learning what is needed to stay safe on two wheels on out crowded roads
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things to keep in mind -

-The examiner wont give a crap how you got your bike there.
-Insurance schedules are all electronic now, you shouldn't reasonably be expected to carry about some sort of internet-connected PDF viewer to show it on demand.
-The only "check" they do, is a box you sign to say the bike is insured.
-They have no facilities to check policy details, only to check askmid to see if the bike is insured in the first place.

Use this information as you see fit Smile.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:29 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albigularis wrote:

May not. Some folk have said they were asked. I'd at least think about having an answer to hand.

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Albigularis wrote:

May not. Some folk have said they were asked. I'd at least think about having an answer to hand.

"Mate dropped it off". I mean, they're not going to ask anything further than that. They're not going to go investigative on you... They shouldn't care that much I suspect, it's not their job or concern.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You realise that test centres do have windows, sometimes examiners look out of them. "My mate dropped it off" isn't going to do it if he has just seen you ride into the car park.

As to whether it's their job or concern, well it is. Don't you think they would be within their rights to refuse a test if they had reason to believe the candidate was not insured, would they condone taking somebody out?

Albigularis
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
You realise that test centres do have windows, sometimes examiners look out of them. "My mate dropped it off" isn't going to do it if he has just seen you ride into the car park.

As to whether it's their job or concern, well it is. Don't you think they would be within their rights to refuse a test if they had reason to believe the candidate was not insured, would they condone taking somebody out?

Unless he's watched you ride it from the house, I can't see him taking that angle. Whether or not you are insured on the bike is a different argument form whether you turned up on it, and expecting you to bring a paper schedule (which I don't know of being issued anymore) he has no real choice other than to withhold the test or just go on regardless. I think your chances of being scrutinised so strictly are minimal. Many youngsters going from A2 to A licence are going to be very fucked off at having to pay a school for stuff they've already done and will be doing it on their own bike, so I suspect it will become a bit more normal amongst the younger crowd now.

A friend of mine turned up to do his A2->A mod 1 on a very high power bike. The examiner was in the car park and watched him ride in. He took out L-Plates, taped them on, and done the mod 1. Examiner gave zero fucks.

Granted this is all by-chance, if I had to do it myself, I'd be doing it this way.

If they're as clued up as they should be, they shouldn't be concerned about invalid insurance anyway. Even if policies are invalidated, insurance companies must pay out. Even if you lied about your licence, modifications, job, gender, whatever. It's then up to the insurance company to recover those costs from you later.

Hefty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:34 - 11 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albigularis wrote:

"Mate dropped it off". I mean, they're not going to ask anything further than that. They're not going to go investigative on you... They shouldn't care that much I suspect, it's not their job or concern.

It might not technically be their job or concern but they may take a dim view. Which could well mean the difference between them seeing & missing how close you were to that car in front, for example.

Dabura
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not on topic per se but what would stop you having an A2 bike and insurance and just claiming that it is unrestricted to the examiner, that way worst case scenario is he inspects your inlets(giggidy) or looks for a throttle* stop and cancelling your test, would that be preferable to ridding without insuance and the associated consequences?

*it may already not be there

Present: Kawasaki Z500-B

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:18 - 12 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabura wrote:
I know it's not on topic per se but what would stop you having an A2 bike and insurance and just claiming that it is unrestricted to the examiner

If it's 595cc+ and 40kW+ then absolutely nothing.

They require evidence that >35kW bikes have been restricted down for use as A2 test bikes. They can't reasonably also require evidence that the very same bikes are not restricted for use as A test bikes.

It's not really their business how you got the bike there, just be prepared to give them enough grounds so that they can pretend to believe you, or you'll fail the Attitude Test which we've been assured doesn't exist. Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1