Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ACTIVATE! 8pm - BBC2

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:44 - 24 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread needs more Pippa...

https://pthumb.lisimg.com/image/3753516/280full.jpg

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:02 - 24 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

TbirdX wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0hkGUCmxy0

https://memesvault.com/wp-content/uploads/Time-To-Fap-Meme-Jim-Carrey-05.jpg

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 19:44 - 24 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben90 wrote:

The funny thing is, these are the types of machines that will kill us all in 10 years time Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ben90
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:14 - 24 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was a brilliant bit of telly. It certainly goes a long way to making up for the entire last series of the abortion that is Top Gear.

I wasn't sure about the more cleanshirt Dara O'Briain being a good fit for the show, but he actually did surprisingly well and being a comedian helped too - a good few chuckles were had. Laughing

The battles were awesome; massive doses of nostalgia paired with clashes being bigger, more spark-y and far more destructive. Improvements in things like battery technology play a part in that I would say.

I was dissapoint when Razer went out so early, he was an old-time favourite. I lolled when Nuts got totally destroyed, props to them for reassembling it for another fight. That Carbide is a mad bastard. I hope Cassius makes a return too.

and the Pippa-replacement Scarlett Johannson-impersonator crumpet is welcome to sit on my face Thumbs Up

Will watch again. Clapping

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 24 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Dara no Brain was shit.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 24 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son text me and asked where hypnodisc is.

I love that boy Smile

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 24 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't watch all of it, the actual battles were quite good, but the presentation kinda annoying. Why were they describing what we've just seen, and the audience seemed to be canned laughter puppets like on Top Gear.

It wasn't that bad just think I'm a grumpy old bastard now Crying or Very sad

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 25 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who is seriously considering having a go, look on here: https://www.fightingrobots.co.uk
The TL;DR of the entire site is that just because the BBC stopped filming it 12 years ago, nobody stopped the fights!

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 25 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
The TL;DR of the entire site is that just because the BBC stopped filming it 12 years ago, nobody stopped the fights!

It went underground.

https://i.imgur.com/PV9Z2ns.png

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:02 - 25 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
My son text me and asked where hypnodisc is.

I'm hoping some of the older robots come back, really disappointed with Razor.

Hypnodisc was my all time favourite, not sure how it would fair against last nights competition.

Chaos 2?
Tornado?
Firestorm?
Praying

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 25 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogue_Shadow wrote:

I'm hoping some of the older robots come back, really disappointed with Razor.

Hypnodisc was my all time favourite, not sure how it would fair against last nights competition.

Chaos 2?
Tornado?
Firestorm?
Praying

Yeah Hypnodisc was the best bot never to win anything. That flywheel was incredible, but it had mobility issues. I liked the look of that spinner on last nights show though. He may well be the new Hypnodisc.

I would also like to see the old guard, but I also like to think things have moved on and that the new bad boys are actually destructive.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 26 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed it the wife went to bed so must have been good Laughing
(she only watches things with stories and hospital programmes)

looking forward to seeing some of the other new ideas people have
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 26 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Yeah Hypnodisc was the best bot never to win anything. That flywheel was incredible, but it had mobility issues. I liked the look of that spinner on last nights show though. He may well be the new Hypnodisc.

I would also like to see the old guard, but I also like to think things have moved on and that the new bad boys are actually destructive.

In the original robot wars there was another robot that was just like that one. tombstone i think it was called. same weapon design, just not as reliable.

generally i liked the 1st episode but a couple of things erked me.

1. it seemed like dara was just being very condescending to everyone. everything he said seemed to have a sarcastic undertone 'huh huh nerds'.
2. the whole slow-mo walk down the corridor.. why?? just to waste airtime it appears
3. why are the control boxes so isolated from the crowd? i really missed craig leaning over the balcony, yelling to the crowd, getting them going. seemed so sterile.

Last year I watched the american version that came back 'battlebots' and they're years ahead of these robots. I was expecting to see something impressive this year but all I saw was re-hashes of old robots. Good for nostalgia but not good for robotics. The american ones were clever, well designed, powerful.. far beyond these offerings. Plus they (being 'murica') hyped it all up so it was a more enjoyable thing to watch.

I dunno, still made me feel like a kid again when I watched it, but could have been a lot better with todays improved tech.

Last edited by supZ on 10:54 - 26 Jul 2016; edited 1 time in total

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 10:53 - 26 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbide is the new Hypnodisc for sure. That thing was insane when it was fully spinning, you could hear the death hum.

Watched it last night, I enjoyed it all to be fair, didn't mind the updated format as it has been a very long time since the original series was on tv. It's not like Top gear where it was very raw and they switched it all up.

I've always found Dara a bit boring, don't find him funny as a comic at all but he's alright at presenting, he's a massive geek himself too.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 26 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched it on catch up today and loved it.

Nuts was brilliant, useless but fun. I laughed out loud when Behemoth chucked the mini bots up in the air.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 26 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Nuts was brilliant, useless but fun. I laughed out loud when Behemoth chucked the mini bots up in the air.

lol same Very Happy

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:04 - 26 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have missed this from my life so much.

Hope panic attack or Wheely big cheese makes a comeback.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:13 - 26 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe slightly over-edited, but still brilliant, silly fun. The presenters are fine, they're just filler.

Miss Borg is currently driving a RC car around the room in preparation for her new career. This, I approve.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 26 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Miss Borg is currently driving a RC car around the room in preparation for her new career. This, I approve.

With razor blades attached to the front?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 26 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

supZ wrote:

Last year I watched the american version that came back 'battlebots' and they're years ahead of these robots. I was expecting to see something impressive this year but all I saw was re-hashes of old robots. Good for nostalgia but not good for robotics. The american ones were clever, well designed, powerful.. far beyond these offerings.

TBH I was surprised by that, at the start of the old Robot wars they were so flimsy Choas 2 (I think) used to win by flipping them over, as they'd normally fall apart. Then by the end they were stupidly powerful, and became like a heavy weight boxing match, one hit it was over.

Maybe they've tried to keep some of the spectacle (selecting a few $hit robots), or maybe development isn't as good as it was. When they were talking about the advances in robotics it didn't seem that impressive, I was expecting full size terminators, or robots with AI that turned on their oppressive overlords Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 26 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
supZ wrote:

Last year I watched the american version that came back 'battlebots' and they're years ahead of these robots. I was expecting to see something impressive this year but all I saw was re-hashes of old robots. Good for nostalgia but not good for robotics. The american ones were clever, well designed, powerful.. far beyond these offerings.

TBH I was surprised by that, at the start of the old Robot wars they were so flimsy Choas 2 (I think) used to win by flipping them over, as they'd normally fall apart. Then by the end they were stupidly powerful, and became like a heavy weight boxing match, one hit it was over.

Maybe they've tried to keep some of the spectacle (selecting a few $hit robots), or maybe development isn't as good as it was. When they were talking about the advances in robotics it didn't seem that impressive, I was expecting full size terminators, or robots with AI that turned on their oppressive overlords Smile

You were expecting Arnie Shocked Laughing I don't think the budget was that big!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 26 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have settled for ASIMO with a pointy stick Laughing

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:13 - 27 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This...

https://f.tqn.com/y/toys/1/S/P/M/toyrobot.jpg

V

This...

https://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03340/metal_mickey1_3340833b.jpg

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 27 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Aye, considering since the originals there has been major leaps in servos, motors, batteries (li-ion wasn't a thing 20 years ago i don't think), etc.. the robots are pretty much the same but with slightly better armour.

I was expecting them to be much bigger and more powerful (that said Behemoth's scoop/flipper was far far more powerful than it was back in the day)

Compare that to a lot of the 'murica ones in battlebots.. https://www.battlebots.com/

some of those are mechanical marvels.. and damn powerful too.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:03 - 27 Jul 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

With razor blades attached to the front?

A sandal. It's quite garish though, so offends the senses.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14