Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

And the next celeb RIPs are..............

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:41 - 03 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

White Vulcans are oppressors. Ever see a black Vulcan on tv? Wink

Laughing

Tuvok.

Bless you.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 03 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I've always seen the US as a multi-racial country, since that was pretty much how it was created - apart from indigenous Indians, it's ALL from immigrants, so the diversity of the cast of such programs always just felt natural.

Very true, but back then it was unusual for anyone other than white 'mericans to be portrayed in roles of authority. It would have been interesting if the programme had been created in the 80s if they would still have put a Russian in control of the weapons . . .

The Cold War began in the 50s.
That's the point. Once you moved to America, assuming you went there legally, you were an American. It didn't matter where you were from originally.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:12 - 03 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chekov wasn't a Russian born American or anything, he was actually Russian.

Whoopi Goldberg cited the original Trek as being something special because "There's a lady on TV that looks like me, and she aint no maid!"

So she wasn't the captain, but she had responsibility and was on the Bridge. That was progressive for the US at the time.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:59 - 04 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Are you talking about the actor? The characters are actually fictional you know Laughing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 04 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

way to ruin it for him

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 04 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Are you talking about the actor? The characters are actually fictional you know Laughing

Walter 'Chekov' Koenig is a natural-born Murican (albeit with Russian Jewish immigrant parents)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 05 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
They'll have to take his legs off.

Then the tea breaks. Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:11 - 05 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

The actor (Walter Koenig) was cast because he looked like Davy Jones from the Monkees. He was American, but the character was Russian, which was seen as progressive at the time - in the same way that having a black woman on the Bridge was progressive.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 05 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is this word, "progressive"? Do you know that's how the communists in the Soviet Union described themselves (and I'm pretty sure you're not a communist...are you?)? I think I'd prefer a different term.
And I have to say, we all watched Star Trek in my household when I was a kid, and never a word was mentioned about the cast. We just enjoyed the series. Given its popularity, I'm guessing that's how most people were. The race of the actors just didn't warrant any comment. To me, it's still meaningless.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:13 - 06 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judith Durham.
The lead singer with the Seekers.
She had a good voice and did good harmonies.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jd_e4eqIkRA
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ZipKdI1sY

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 06 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycle engineer Steve Harris.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2022/june/steve-harris/

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:05 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought it was like an international starship so it was all races on the planet. Vulcans included. But yeah Thinking its the USS Enterprise.
Never occurred to me to think about it. Just Star Trek, innit.

One thing I always wondered, and maybe I should read star trek literature or something but ... vulcan genitalia. Is that a thing? I imagine them to be leaf-shaped. I can't be more specific, its too painful Laughing

And those frowny-head ones, do they all have genital warts? They look like they should, so grumpy all the time. Herpes maybe. They just look the type Thinking

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I just thought it was like an international starship so it was all races on the planet. Vulcans included. But yeah Thinking its the USS Enterprise.
Never occurred to me to think about it. Just Star Trek, innit.

One thing I always wondered, and maybe I should read star trek literature or something but ... vulcan genitalia. Is that a thing? I imagine them to be leaf-shaped. I can't be more specific, its too painful Laughing

And those frowny-head ones, do they all have genital warts? They look like they should, so grumpy all the time. Herpes maybe. They just look the type Thinking

Shocked I don't know what you're on, but you can keep it!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivia Newton John

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FZqYjHUUUAAYbJR?format=jpg&name=small
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://y.yarn.co/37b3751e-f055-4e4d-b737-eb98c4f9a570_text.gif

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 08 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

White Vulcans are oppressors. Ever see a black Vulcan on tv? Wink

Laughing

Tuvok.

I used to wonder if T'Pol was black - I think technically she is. In any case, Tuvok's wife T'Pel is black, as is Sek (their son).

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

The sexiest woman on the planet in her day and responsible for many an adolescent tug.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:

The sexiest woman on the planet in her day and responsible for many an adolescent tug.

Oh yes. One of my pin ups back in the halcyon days of my youth.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

The actor (Walter Koenig) was cast because he looked like Davy Jones from the Monkees. He was American, but the character was Russian, which was seen as progressive at the time - in the same way that having a black woman on the Bridge was progressive.

The whole concept of Star Trek is in the future our differences wouldn't matter, hence a crew made up of Japanese (remember this is ~20 years after WW2 in the US), Russian, an African-American woman, an alien in Spock... even a Scotsman Laughing

To call it progressive kinda misses the point, now we have 'progressive' shows that focus on race and gender, original Star Trek and Next Gen' never did*, it was that race and gender and even being human didn't matter, and wouldn't be a defining characteristic in future.

*DS9 had the odd episode that did, which's why all the new Star Trek discovery fans love it and denounce Next Gen'

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

I was thinking about how much of a beloved and memorable character she is (in Grease), and it's probably because she has a character arc, something they don't seem to bother with now.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

Aww, no! Always my favourite girl’s name. Now I realise why.

Oh, Ma Walton was an Olivia, so that too.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 09 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:
Olivia Newton John
Aww, no! Always my favourite girl’s name. Now I realise why.

What - John?

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anne Heche. Dead, crashed her car 1 week ago, was in a coma.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 12 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Anne Heche. Dead, crashed her car 1 week ago, was in a coma.

Driving whilst in a coma is bad for you.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:09 - 13 Aug 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

coked up to the gills and on fentanyl according to the report i read.
idiots like that usually kill other road users.
if true then its no loss in my book.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 142, 143, 144 ... 164, 165, 166  Next
Page 143 of 166