Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Royal Enfield Himalayan debuts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:57 - 21 Jan 2016    Post subject: New Royal Enfield Himalayan debuts Reply with quote

With a video showcasing its real off road ability.

Highlight is it landing from a tiny jump, completely bottoming out, and...

https://i.imgur.com/fFWYAwS.jpg

The most honest bike marketing video ever? Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:09 - 21 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think a standard (pre-unit) bullet with knobblies on would have done better.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:15 - 21 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one thing, the footpegs (on my AVL anyway) are massive lumps fitted on to a battleship-sized hexagonal bar running straight under the engine.

I guess the Himalayan could be lighter by dint of being flimsier. I wonder what figure they'll concoct for it.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 21 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it possibly be as powerful as the 29hp cafe racer?

I'm also guessing it weighs over 210kg dry.

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:57 - 24 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Could it possibly be as powerful as the 29hp cafe racer?

This video states 25 raging horses Laughing

1:20 onward for engine drivel...

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:19 - 03 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

And some pictures and info:
Engine - 411 ccm, single cylinder four stroke, air cooled. SOHC head (instead of the classic OHV heads they used to put on every RE engine), which should make the service intervals close to 6,000 miles. Fuel distribution is done via a carburetor with which is the engine capable of 18.2kW @ 6,500rpm and 32Nm of torque @ 4,000rpm. Electric starter only.

Front wheel: 21''; Rear wheel: 17''; Final drive: Chain; Tank: 15L; Wet weight (incl. oil etc.): 182Kg.

Released for sale in India in March (no ABS, not EURO IV), 1810 GBP.

Source of the information and pictures (not in English): https://www.motorkari.cz/clanky/moto-novinky/royal-enfield/royal-enfield-himalayan-oficialne-predstaven-33365.html

https://img.motorkari.cz/upload/images/cache/clanky/2016-02/33365/20160202140757-longstroke_jpg_resize_1000x830__type_jpg_.jpg

https://img.motorkari.cz/upload/images/cache/clanky/2016-02/33365/20160202140758-royalenfield_himalayan_bike_4_jpg_resize_1000x830__type_jpg_.jpg

https://img.motorkari.cz/upload/images/cache/clanky/2016-02/33365/20160202140757-ride_posture_1__jpg_resize_1000x830__type_jpg_.jpg

https://img.motorkari.cz/upload/images/cache/clanky/2016-02/33365/20160202140757-chasis_jpg_resize_1000x830__type_jpg_.jpg

https://img.motorkari.cz/upload/images/cache/clanky/2016-02/33365/20160202140758-spec_img1_jpg_resize_1000x830__type_jpg_.jpg

https://img.motorkari.cz/upload/images/cache/clanky/2016-02/33365/20160202140757-royalenfield_himalayan_bike_1_jpg_resize_1000x830__type_jpg_.jpg

https://img.motorkari.cz/upload/images/cache/clanky/2016-02/33365/20160203001458-RoyalEnfieldHimalayanInstrumentCluster_jpg_resize_1000x830__type_jpg_.jpg

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 03 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I want one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 03 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

£1810!????

I want.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 03 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterious_rider wrote:
£1810!????

I want.

If you live in India, then sure. But, as I was saying, that is a no ABS nor EURO IV motorcycle, therefore not for sale in the EU. To make it eligible to be put on our common market it would need ABS and at least EURO IV friendly engine. Which will move the price considerably up. Thumbs Up

Looking at the last picture, there's a compass next to the fuel gauge, nice. Thinking

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 03 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Wet weight (incl. oil etc.): 182kg

That is less than I was expecting, still no featherweight, but probably a nice solid ride. It does look like fun, but it seems woefully underpowered for UK traffic.

Piercee100
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:16 - 03 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a perfect commuter if it was durable enough. Bloody EU Sad
All I think about is that ABS and Emissions are one more thing for a potential purchase to fail it's MOT on.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:17 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power is just about enough.

The claimed weight is disappointing but not at all surprising. Also, I wonder what the real weight is.

ABS, Euro 4 (pretty much requires fuel injection) and OBD and low evaporation fuel system and anti-tamper gubbins.

If it ever does make it here - and I can't see why they'd bother - I wouldn't expect it to come in at under £5K.

I'm wondering if they'll even bother attempting to make the existing Bullet based models Eurobollocks compliant. If not, you've got until the end of the year to buy one.

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you import one as second hand? I Could wait and see if they hawk the 15 plate bullets off cheap....

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterious_rider wrote:
Could you import one as second hand?

If it isn't sold here it'll need a certificate of conformity or an MSVA before being allowed to be registered for use on the roads. Guess what? It won't conform.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Guess what? It won't conform.

On what grounds?

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
weasley wrote:
Guess what? It won't conform.

On what grounds?

Emissions for one thing. Let alone any construction quirks.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you don't think it could pass an emissions test of 4.5% CO at idle?

Construction quirks?

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Matt B wrote:
On what grounds?

Emissions for one thing. Let alone any construction quirks.

Actually, scrap that. Looking at the actual MSVA manual it seems it might just work.....

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
So you don't think it could pass an emissions test of 4.5% CO at idle?

Construction quirks?

Yep, slap taken. I was shooting from the hip. I would imagine that it might require some tinkering and tweaking but the MSVA does appear to be pretty slack compared to type approval.

cdlxxvi
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:02 - 04 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not entirely surprised with a new RE model falling apart even before leaving the showroom.

I had the, hmm, "pleasure" is not precisely the word I'd put in here, "experience" of spending a couple of days on a Thunderbird 350 last autumn in India. Model released only a few years back so it could not be too old and the particular unit has only clocked twenty something thousand kilometres.

Electric starter did not work.
Kickstart was wonky.
Mirrors were loose.
Fuel gauge was indicating, well, something.
Paintwork was but a distant memory of things bygone.
Brakes performance was on par with concentrating hard on thinking "I really want to slow down".

In India vehicles may be maintained just enough to keep them going, but such list of issues cannot be blamed on wear and tear alone. It simply had an air of bad, bad quality to it. There were more things broken or rotten, I cannot remember all of them now because despite everything I enjoyed it on open roads - I was riding an Enfield in India after all, what more can you want from life?

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 09 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: New Royal Enfield Himalayan debuts Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Highlight is it landing from a tiny jump, completely bottoming out, and...

https://i.imgur.com/fFWYAwS.jpg

The most honest bike marketing video ever? Thinking

I see they have pulled the original video and edited it. The small edit is just after the footpeg removal - in the original video you saw the rider look down at his right foot then back behind the bike - in this new version they cut away just as he starts to look down.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 75 days between these two posts...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:37 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread bump.

Not sure how much of this is true or accurate, but picked it up from another source and thought it was interesting nonetheless.
Quote:
"Owner Finds 40 Manufacturing Defects In His Himalayan — Drags RE To Court. The owner of a Himalayan took Royal Enfield to the consumer courts after finding multiple 'manufacturing defects' with his new ride. The Royal Enfield Himalayan was launched in 2016 on the eve of the Auto Expo to much fanfare. However, since that day of pomp and circumstance, the story of the Himalayan has been one that seems to be falling down the mountain, hard. One customer, M Puneeth, an engineer by profession and a resident of the Kolar district in Karnataka, received his new Himalayan on June 1, 2016. However, in less than a week he started noticing numerous issues with his new Enfield. Not pleased with this, Puneeth took the new bike to a local garage to confirm his doubts about his new Himalayan. Issues included petrol leaking from the fuel tank and the carburettor, a noisy engine that had issues while idling and there was even oil leaking from the head of the engine. Other issues included problems with the gearbox with odd gearshifts the norm. Puneeth told News9, that over time, he experienced, even more, issues with his new Royal Enfield Himalayan with parts falling off the motorcycle which is meant to be an adventure bike, while riding it around every day. Puneeth also claimed that the bike broke down on him as well. Unhappy, Puneeth documented his findings and mailed it Eicher Motors (the owners of Royal Enfield) Siddhartha Lal and five others. However, when no reply came, the customer took Royal Enfield to the consumer courts who ruled in his favour. Royal Enfield replied to News9's enquiries about the court case and stated that they were consulting with their legal advisers on a response to the verdict. The issues faced by Puneeth seem to be quite similar to those that others riding around on the Royal Enfield Himalayan have raised on various online. Let's just hope Royal Enfield sorts these issues out before it snowballs into a bigger problem."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:51 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....

The Himalyan is now Euro4 & for sale in the UK, for ~ £4000 so, I can only guess, that no they've used the locals to stress test the bike, the international version should be all fine & dandy.

I can see it's appeal, but I think if going for a larger adv bike, I would probably go for a CB500X or a Benelli TRK 502.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 18:13 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Benelli TRK 502.

Quote:
The engine is going to have its work cut out, the Benelli is a a heavyweight with a kerb weight of 235kg. To put that into perspective, BMW's new R1200GS Exclusive TE weighs 244kg

I'm genuinely impressed, they must have had to really work to make a parrallel twin 500cc bike weight 235kg it's 40kg more than a CB500X. Thats a small person! Laughing

Even my TDM is ONLY ~220kg Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 24 Apr 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Well....

The Himalyan is now Euro4 & for sale in the UK, for ~ £4000 so, I can only guess, that no they've used the locals to stress test the bike, the international version should be all fine & dandy.

I can see it's appeal, but I think if going for a larger adv bike, I would probably go for a CB500X or a Benelli TRK 502.

A 35kw adventure bike is a joke but if I had to chose one of the above two it would be the Benelli because the Honda is the ugliest thing this side of ugly betty. Sick

I'd rather spend another grand for a Versys with a bit of power Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2