Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1957 Showa 250cc "Cruiser"

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:23 - 22 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

That`s not an ugly looking bike.

as for that exhaust : I seem to remember seeing pipes like that on an old pre-war German bike, so I guess nothing is new. (possibly Adler)
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:51 - 22 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Royal Enfield 'Flea' (competition (?) to the BSA Bantam) had an exhaust pipe very similar the that.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:39 - 23 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Case wrote:
The Royal Enfield 'Flea' (competition (?) to the BSA Bantam) had an exhaust pipe very similar the that.

The Enfield RE 125 was a copy of a DKW, but not the same DKW that the BSA was a copy of.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 23 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool bike!
Yeah it looks like a current style 125cc MX expansion chamber design, but I bet they had no idea of dimensions and resonant frequency back then, but wouldn't it be cool if that pipe really works and adds power.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:54 - 23 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Very cool bike!
Yeah it looks like a current style 125cc MX expansion chamber design, but I bet they had no idea of dimensions and resonant frequency back then, but wouldn't it be cool if that pipe really works and adds power.

They must have had some idea or they (and many others) wouldn't have made it like that.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 23 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expansion chamber exhaust systems were invented/first time used on the track by MZ, you can even see the lack of Japanese two strokes before that time period and the Japanese crazy fast revving 4 strokes. Wink

And as always, Japanese manufacturers took all the European ideas, not giving a feck about any patent laws, and coppied it so well, the final product was even superior to the European original.

The Showa Cruiser is made in Japan, in that time period (50's to late 60's), so it is in fact a copy of generic motorcycles that you could see here back in the day.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:40 - 23 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

MZ's designs were stolen by their East German rider/engineer Ernst Degner, when he defected (during a race) and joined Suzuki.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 24 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
MZ's designs were stolen by their East German rider/engineer Ernst Degner, when he defected (during a race) and joined Suzuki.

No shortage of rumours when Ernst Degner, development engineer/racer, died somewhat 'prematurely'. He reportedly absconded with a load of technical information in his head which was the property of Walter Kaaden the brains behind the extremely successful, considering the miniscule budget, MZ 250 2-stroke racing bike. He joined Suzuki and all of a sudden their 2-stroke bikes went from wank to wonderful.....can't imagine why !.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 24 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Case wrote:
Triton Thrasher wrote:

No shortage of rumours when Ernst Degner, development engineer/racer, died somewhat 'prematurely'. He reportedly absconded with a load of technical information in his head which was the property of Walter Kaaden the brains behind the extremely successful, considering the miniscule budget, MZ 250 2-stroke racing bike. He joined Suzuki and all of a sudden their 2-stroke bikes went from wank to wonderful.....can't imagine why !.

See this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoXA_tCHJJ0 Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 24 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at this simple diagram, I'd say it does not really matter where the chamber is. But, I don't know much about two stroke efficiency. Thinking

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/52/Arbeitsweise_Zweitakt.gif

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:55 - 24 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Expansion chambers are complicated things that virtually nobody understands well enough to come up with designs that work well.

But yes the distance to the expansion chamber is critical.

All the best

Katy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 84 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1