Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kawasaki KMX 200 restoration

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bugsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:57 - 20 Dec 2015    Post subject: Kawasaki KMX 200 restoration Reply with quote

https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg1_zpsowahxal7.jpg
Here goes my first bike restoration will try and upload pictures and info as I go along,hopefully help someone Wink
Pre teardown,swing arm scabby,lower frame powder coating worn away,head bearings need doing.
Came with a hagon rear shock ,origional owners book and spare cylinder head and radiator Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 20 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't actually look like it needs "restoration"...

Bugsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:41 - 20 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg1_zpssbph1fd2.jpg
Rusted out engine bar mounting point point.
Time to get the mig fired up...
https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg1_zpseprcnbv1.jpg
https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg1_zpsn8higiez.jpgexhausts had a knock and creased off fuel tank lower lip.
https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg1_zpsxhbbjs8j.jpg
https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg1_zpsfffhegda.jpg[/img]
Hmm wonder how long that paint will last... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bugsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:07 - 20 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg1_zpshfhqgahc.jpg
Bearings where seized in and dryer than the Sahara. Wink had fun removing these,swing arm bearing we're ok.
Tried simplybearings as recommended by people on here for replacements it was around £1.50 a bearing cheaper and not koyo as per kawasaki.Anyway near £300 pound lighter for all the bearings and all the bits back from fastline expensive week and questioning what on earth I've started Shocked .
https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg2_zpsjvpa605b.jpg
https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg1_zpspknjog28.jpg
https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg1_zpsvkh38kir.jpg
Put new bearings in the freezer,and heated up swing arm and linkage with a hair dryer pressed in with a socket and g clamp Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoying your thread, if only so that I can get up to date parts prices for bits for them, so I can know what to expect when I do mine too.

Your A3 looks very much like the first 200 I had way back in 98.

keep the good work and updates coming ok!

Oh and by the way, the dent in your pipe under the tank is put there by the manufacturer as std for clearance I presume. I don't believe that dent affects the performance of the std pipe at all really. Have a look at a TZR250 pipe where they look squashed at the sides and with bits scalloped out in the pressed skin, and you'll see what I mean.

Sean.S
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:54 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like its been well kept, is that wet patch underneath a leak?

Sean Smile

Bugsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:43 - 21 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean91 wrote:
Looks like its been well kept, is that wet patch underneath a leak?

Sean Smile

Well spotted Wink not sure will soon find out once I top her back up Cool. Would like to think the old gal hasn't had too much ov a hard life. Wink

Bugsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:00 - 22 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

New steering head races top and bottom along with bearings.
https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg1_zpspb2k2iqx.jpg
https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg1_zpszjcyxcvu.jpg
https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg1_zpsxpcvy0hs.jpg
Maxis waterproof grease used.
Note small bearings in top should be 23
Larger in the bottom 19
Haynes manual has these numbers mixed up Shocked

Bugsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:38 - 22 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Enjoying your thread, if only so that I can get up to date parts prices for bits for them, so I can know what to expect when I do mine too.

Your A3 looks very much like the first 200 I had way back in 98.

keep the good work and updates coming ok!

Oh and by the way, the dent in your pipe under the tank is put there by the manufacturer as std for clearance I presume. I don't believe that dent affects the performance of the std pipe at all really. Have a look at a TZR250 pipe where they look squashed at the sides and with bits scalloped out in the pressed skin, and you'll see what I mean.

Only just noticed your post thanks Steve Very Happy argh would of left that dent in probably seen pics of an aftermarket pipe and did ASS U ME.
Might be part of the manufacturing process to hold the thing Shocked.
First enduro bike lots people like yourself seem to have fond memory's of these kmx's love the simplicity curious what a 125s like..

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 22 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pipe dent shouldn't be an issue, but it was probably a manufacturers thing of not wanting a hot pipe within a few mm of the fuel tank seam maybe?

It's a shame though, as a more productive use of the grinder and the welder you had out would have been to cut the pipe open, and clean it out and remove the inner perforated skin and all the caked on carbon built up over the years.

Oh and the 125's are slower, but a bit more fun between 7-10k as the 200's in std form seem to go a bit flat much over 8000rpm from what I remember.

Is yours going to be a road or off road restoration job?

The A2 that I have now, I'm getting a bit of enthusiasm for trying to make it as basic and light as possible when I sort it out, so most of the electrics, and cycle parts will hopefully go in the scrap bin and I'd like a trials bike speedo and tiny lights, and possibly run it without a battery if I can?

I like the idea of building a KMX up to use for green lanes, and low level trials and enduro use for complete knobs with unsuitable bikes and no sense lol!

Bugsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:14 - 23 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had caustic soda in exhaust so she should be clean as a whistle,
Will probably grab a spare expansion chamber and play about, trying to get bike back on road asap as im doing a 4 mile commute and its not great for a deisel car.
Definately a lot more 125's about and spares can only think how much cooler they run Wink should imagine they rev up nicely Very Happy
Bit like your mint white 125, mines too good for any serious trail stuff.
Probably make up a 125 for that, like yourself Very Happy for titting about on .
Would be interesting putting a different carb on and different bits Smile
Ive got my kmx tagged onto the street triple insurance do you know if they can go on a classic policy?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 23 Dec 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the re-build, your making fast progress so far anyway. At least a fully re-built sorted bike will make a great fun commuter machine.

If your intention is road use, then I would look at firming up the damping in the front forks, and maybe using thicker oil and or spacers? The front brake wants to be in good order, and a decent disc, sintered pads and a stainless line makes it just about acceptable for high speed use.

I think my little 125, will be more sensible while it's still 124cc, I've got a spare reconditioned 200cc head and cylinder to go on it eventually that's been tuned and ported with head work etc.

Insurance wise it's normally either 15 or 20years old to qualify for a classic policy, so you'd need to check with your insurer. It might be cheaper or more expensive to try and insure both bikes on one policy and sometimes classic policies don't allow other bikes to be added, so ring up and see which is the best way to go.

Often you don't need or get any NCB discount on classic policies, but then you might be mileage limited on some of them though.

My 125 is touching 30years old now, I can't believe I own a 30year old bike and I was 8 when it rolled off the assembly line at Akashi. Laughing

Bugsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:57 - 03 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
Bike is mainly for road use,interesting that you can upgrade the fork oil Very Happy
Isn't there a caliper upgrade?was thinking along your lines excuse the pun Very Happy have a hel line on the rear already so will grab a a front one.
Wonder how many are actually left on the roads ?some spare parts do worry me on availability,hence I've got a full set of new plastics in the loft now.
Reckon most of us enthusiasts have a lot of spares Rolling Eyes
If you want a copy of the roadtest by the way I ping one across to you. thanks again for your input Very Happy
Carburettor came up nice with coca cola and a green pad Wink

https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg2_zpsb9eekot1.jpg
https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg1_zpsbwxqhrio.jpg

Bugsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:05 - 03 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming together
https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg1_zpsq4jtiypb.jpg

oberonspacefr...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 04 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

are those spokes a standard thickness? Its looking great, the red really pops!

Bugsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:12 - 05 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

oberonspacefruit wrote:
are those spokes a standard thickness? Its looking great, the red really pops!

They are spoke covers or should a say rust covers Very Happy
Thanks Very Happy On ebay under SPOKEGUARDZ ,if you do get them warm the plastic up before fitting and spray wd40 on spokes.

Bugsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:37 - 09 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

D day tomorrow,carb cleaned and rebuilt, tank flushed,new throttle and clutch cable,oil pump reset.
Starts and runs really well on idle,
Awaiting a dep silencer.
Also a twin air filter on its way.
Any one have any experience with?
Kips spacer plate?
Boysen race reeds?
Re jetting or maybe moving clip down one notch ?with dep and twin air mods etc? Very Happy

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:52 - 10 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugsy wrote:
D day tomorrow,carb cleaned and rebuilt, tank flushed,new throttle and clutch cable,oil pump reset.
Starts and runs really well on idle,
Awaiting a dep silencer.
Also a twin air filter on its way.
Any one have any experience with?
Kips spacer plate?
Boysen race reeds?
Re jetting or maybe moving clip down one notch ?with dep and twin air mods etc? Very Happy

KIPS spacer plate and the Boyesen reeds make marginal differences.
Nothing massive. Twin air filter a better filtration system than stock so some protection for the motor, help the engine breathe a bit better.

None of these mods will make much of a difference to the jetting needed. However, each bike is slightly different.

Best thing I found is experimentation, raise/lower the needle clip. Buy a few main jets, try a couple higher, a couple lower. That way you can work out which combination works best for your setup.

I use a V-Force reed block and reeds, KIPS plate, stock expansion, KX silencer, twiner filter, tuned cylinder, and I went down to stock main jet (112.5), 1 smaller pilot and needle clip varies due to outside temperature.

Previous: Yamaha YZF1000, ZZR600, KMX200, DT50, KX80, CG125, PF50

Bugsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 17:05 - 10 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave sounds like you have been playing with kmx's for a while Very Happy
https://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w417/paulhendrych74Bugsy/Kmx%20200%20restoration/image.jpg1_zpssutapuy2.jpg
All went well, Wink need to play with jetting and set idle up properly,pulls really well when opened up.

Bugsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:10 - 20 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed cracked inlet rubber and fitted a dep can.
Thanks you for your help dangerousdave, lowered clip and bike seems to run a lot better under 4k especially.
Still work in progress just started from cold and find choke kills engine,but doesnt need it to start or run properly.
I can assume lowering the clip is a richer mixture.

dangerousdave
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 00:23 - 21 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a quick guide to jetting

https://all-offroad.com/main/2014/03/overview-jetting-101/

needle clip position doesn't make make any difference on a closed throttle.

also bear in mind its bloody cold at the moment, this affects the air density, compared to a warm day in the summer. this will affect your settings also.

Previous: Yamaha YZF1000, ZZR600, KMX200, DT50, KX80, CG125, PF50

Bugsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:05 - 22 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bud;)
The joys of minimal electronics;)
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Bugsy
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:51 - 24 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
It wouldn't cost much to respoke the wheels......if you don't like the covers that is....just snip one at a time and replace Thumbs Up

Cheers Vincent Very Happy it's my all year round bike so going to get a bit of weather on it hence I've not gone mad on calipers and wheels.
Just grabbed a tdr project so another money pit resto starting Rolling Eyes q
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 95 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1