Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anything better than spirit of salts?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:43 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Anything better than spirit of salts? Reply with quote

Long story short, got a badly blocked bathroom sink, chucked half a litre of spirit of salts down it (because I've successfully used that in the past, where things like caustic soda have failed) and it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

Before I get messy and start stripping pipes out and ramming stuff down them, anyone got any other chemical based suggestions?

TIA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:26 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried it with a sink plunger yet?

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:44 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If concentrated hydrochloric acid won't shift it, then it's problem time.

Have you cleared the trap before trying flesh eating chemicals? If not you're going to have fun clearing the trap.

Note that spirit of salt is a strong acid and caustic soda is strongly alkaline, using both will waste as much of one as there is of the other before getting to work, and the reaction between the two might be mildly exothermic.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:59 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried asking the wife/kids/roomates/fugees hiding in the attic what they've been dropping down there?

Last time the kitchen sink backed up, I found the u-bend was full of matchsticks.

Defence: "I only left them sitting on the edge of the sink!"

...and never wondered what happened to them afterwards. Brick Wall

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:34 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cleared a sink in a student house once using a kitchen roll tube, bleach and mr muscle drain unblocker. Pour the contents down the plug hole, give it a few minutes, pipe over the plug hole and blow hard.

I didn't die and the blockage went very quickly Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something here?
A sink or basin trap is designed to catch solid matter passing through a water pipe, it's to be expected to have to
clean them out once in a while, why can't OP just undo the plastic waste, wash out in a bucket of hot soapy water
and then replace, it doesn't even require tools to do it. Alternatively lob it and buy a new one, not sure I've ever spent
more than £6 on any plastic inch and a quarter trap. Just make sure there's a container underneath before you
start unscrewing the compression fittings, and wear rubber gauntlets which also cover your wrists if you have
been lobbing nasty chemicals down there.

I clear the traps in my kitchen sink, the bath and both basins once a year whether they need it or not, it takes
me about half an hour to get round them all. Never had a blockage yet. Same as the outside drains get a blast in the
spring when I'm jetwashing the autumn/winter moss off of the path. If the blockage is beyond the u-bend or bottle,
then hire a sanisnake for a few pennies and you'll soon be flowing again.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Have you tried asking the wife/kids/roomates/fugees hiding in the attic what they've been dropping down there?

Last time the kitchen sink backed up, I found the u-bend was full of matchsticks.

Defence: "I only left them sitting on the edge of the sink!"

...and never wondered what happened to them afterwards. Brick Wall

The bathroom sink here kept getting blocked up. On giving it a jolly good plunging, cotton buds kept appearing. Previous tenant obviously just popped them down the plughole and hoped they magically got spirited away.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wife that seems to think a dishwasher will dissolve a fucking pork chop, she always fails to clean plates properly
before loading the machine. The revolting gunge I have to periodically clean out of the dishwasher would
make a pig retch. I wouldn't mind so much if my Mrs was a thicko, but she is extremely smart, but she's book smart.
Common sense is a little thinner on the ground with her. Rolling Eyes Mind you, she's smart enough to have a clean
dishwasher without ever having to lift a finger to keep it that way. Thinking

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:22 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
but she's book smart. Common sense is a little thinner on the ground with her.

But... she's a diver? Eh?

Hope you have a good life insurance policy on her.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I have a wife that seems to think a dishwasher will dissolve a fucking pork chop,

Laughing

Some people think they can just shove these basic problems in a certain direction without there being any latter consequences.

Sink in my kitchen has an extra drain sieve thing for catching larger chunks of food which you can then lift out and put in a bin. Don't even have to touch the gunky bits. My idiot housemate doesn't even have the common sense to do this (even though I've told him enough times), he instead takes the time-consuming option, removes the drainer, gets a large brush and mashes at all the bits to get them squashed through the gaps in the plughole. He literally has that much of a child's brain that he still sees drains as black holes that can handle absolutely anything as long as you can't see the the bits any more. Totally astounds me.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:31 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have assured Mrs stinkwheel that the next time the "washing machine's broken". She can take her turn at emptying the drum of water with a cup then kneeling on a damp floor for 20 minutes with a sponge to drain the remaining water into a bucket before removing the bobby pin from the pump impellar.

Also for someone with a higher level degree in a hugely practical area, she seems unable to understand that said washing machine is incapable of achieving a balanced spin if you cram as many clothes as will physically fit into it. To the point where it's straining against the catch and you have to hold the door shut with your knee to get it to start.

I get a "The washing machine's done that thing where the clothes are still wet again.". "Yes dear, that's because it has a kingsize sheet and duvet cover, a bath mat and two bath towels crammed into it."

We even tried having a "No more in one load than will fit in this laundry basket or all the bedclothes off one double bed." rule but I may as well talk to myself.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:34 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Mrs Stinkwheel cannot technology today

I feel your pain.
:edit:
+1 for the plunger. Just make sure that you cover the secondary drain with something sufficiently liquid-proof to avoid any kind of caustic splashback.

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

I feel your pain.
:edit:
+1 for the plunger. Just make sure that you cover the secondary drain with something sufficiently liquid-proof to avoid any kind of caustic splashback.

I've always found that throwing a few sheets of toilet paper in before I go stops that!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:44 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

[Slamming noises off]

"That bloody buggering printer's broken again!"

And what have you dropped into it this time, my dear?

"Nothing, it's just broken, why do they never work?"

[Mrs Borg opens the door specifically placed under the rollers for this exact purpose, which is pointed out every time this happens. Knitting needle / personalised Fisher space pen that I bought her last year / weird feminine hair technology falls out.]

"How did that get in there? Why isn't there something to stop that happening?"

For an encore, "It's out of bloody black ink again!"

Shall I refill the cartridge, my dove?

"No, it just runs out again. I'll buy a new one when I'm out, it'll be quicker."

[3 hours later]

"What do you mean, I bought a colour cartridge? Why don't they make it more obvious? Oh, it's OK, there's more black ink in it now."

Yes, my angel. Yes, I know there is. And inkstains on my fingers, my pet.

This is all going in our divorce papers. No court in the land, etc.

smegballs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my house:

For some reason the little box next to the sink where the scrubbing pads, brush etc etc lives is a cutlery holder, with holes in the bottom.

Of course all the water drips through the holes at the bottom onto the worktop. It is still mostly covered from the top though, so instead of evaporating it instead is colonised by bacteria and makes a slime that smells terrible.

I tried swapping said uselessness out for a closed bottom receptacle, but when I got home from work, the cutlery holder was back in its location. Such is life in a shared house.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:51 - 25 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
grr666 wrote:
but she's book smart. Common sense is a little thinner on the ground with her.

But... she's a diver? Eh?

Hope you have a good life insurance policy on her.

It's something we've talked about and planned for at length I'd get equivalent to 12 times her salary and
the mortgage paid off on our residence. Thumbs Up Cool I could pay my mortgage off right now, on the phone
with my debit card but then if I potato myself off of my bike or have an accident on site or if she tries to drink
all of the water in the sea the remaining partner would get a lot less of a payout. It's literally the only reason
we keep a mortgage at all, for the 'free'ish house if one of us snuffs it a bit early. Thumbs Up Might as well try and get
all we can from an untimely death, we pay the premiums each year so why not?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:23 - 26 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I have assured Mrs stinkwheel that the next time the "washing machine's broken". She can take her turn at emptying the drum of water with a cup then kneeling on a damp floor for 20 minutes with a sponge to drain the remaining water into a bucket before removing the bobby pin from the pump impellar.

If you hold the outlet hose low washing machines self drain.

stinkwheel wrote:
"Yes dear, that's because it has a kingsize sheet and duvet cover, a bath mat and two bath towels crammed into it."

Buy larger washing machine.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:41 - 26 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

If you hold the outlet hose low washing machines self drain.

Which is fine if you have somewhere for it to drain TO.

Quote:

Buy larger washing machine.

I think it's big enough. It's got an 8kg drum as it is.

I think I would acually get a smaller one next time. Bigger drums seem much more prone to unbalance and encourage you to put far too much washing in them at a time.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:12 - 26 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

One Shot Instant Drain Cleaner is worth a try, it's 91% sulphuric acid. It's fucking ferocious stuff - don't get it on your skin or breathe in the fumes. It's not sold in supermarkets but lots of hardware shops have it. Seven or eight quid for 1 litre.

https://www.wilko.com/content/ebiz/wilkinsonplus/invt/0343461/0343461_l.jpg

Sometimes a drain spring is an instant solution. Cheap ones on ebay cost about the same as a bottle of One Shot. https://r.ebay.com/zMlY4p

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/NtUAAOSwhwdVVOqh/$_12.JPG

Last edited by Undinist on 21:02 - 27 Jan 2016; edited 1 time in total

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:39 - 26 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A kettle or two of boiling water always does the job for me. Blockages tend to be either grease or soap with assorted shit bound up in it. Hot water melts either.

Then I tend to run the hot tap for 5 minutes afterwards to clear away any residual shit.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 26 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
the bobby pin

Spawn of the devil, these things. I reckon they are sentient, and lurk behind things, waiting to jump into an inconvenient place just before you look there.

I never use them; not for probably 45 years has a bobby pin been near my hair, due to it having previously been far too thick to bother with such miniscule things.

And yet still, after my daughter left home for the Antipodes over 2 years ago, they still turn up in my bathroom Brick Wall

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:39 - 27 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Which is fine if you have somewhere for it to drain TO.

Buy a bucket. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 86 days between these two posts...

aderynmawr
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:05 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Bathroom basin blocked! Reply with quote

My bathroom basin has been very slow to drain for a while and yesterday I decided to tackle it. I tried the commercial (Mr Muscle type stuff) chemical method, which did absolutely nothing...just took a long time to drain away, like the water. Neither did washing soda and hot water or bicarb and white vinegar. Then I gave it a good poking with my drain snakey-spring thing but something seemed to be stopping it. Finally, I got the u-bend off and found it full of the most disgusting black stuff I’ve ever seen. It felt like a cross between liver and a set custard but actually smelled strongly of mint (decomposing toothpaste? Note to self: use more than half a cup of water when brushing teeth).

To make a long story shorter, I cleaned it, put it back, ran the tap - still blocked, took it off again and found that this semi-solid slime goes on along the pipe which goes behind the bath. My question is, shall I pour some hydrochloric acid (or spirits of salt, depending on your age) down there or leave it alone now and get a man in? Will the acid do any harm? Provided I can find it, of course - I know I put it somewhere “safe”.

Btw, this thread made coffee come down my nose this morning 😂

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plastic pipes shouldn't be harmed by occasional strong chemicals, rubber O rings in joints might be.
Plunger to move things to and fro combined with very hot water ought to help, if you have slow drainage through at least any chemical can get to it.
Caustic Soda crystals are a good option and cheap enough if you can find them.

Bear in mind mixing acids and alkali can create interesting results such as Mustard gas, my Dad did this one, I never was quite able to reproduce the spectacular effect.

Last edited by doggone on 13:22 - 22 Apr 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:19 - 22 Apr 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

yfpos
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 364 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2