cheap

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

KnuckleShot
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:45 - 31 Jan 2016    Post subject: cheap Reply with quote

hi,

I'm looking at getting a push bike to get a bit more active.
Looking for something that will last quite a while and won't break within a month. Budget could be up £300 but would prefer cheaper if bike is decent.
Any recommendations? Also 6ft1 if that helps? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 31 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of riding do you envisage doing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

KnuckleShot
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:44 - 31 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just riding around town, around some parks. Plan on doing around 30-60 min rides a day

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:49 - 31 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnuckleShot wrote:
Just riding around town, around some parks. Plan on doing around 30-60 min rides a day

Would suggest a hybrid then

Three hundred quid would get you something half decent new or really decent second hand
Fidge This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

KnuckleShot
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:51 - 31 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would Gumtree be a good starting point?
I'll never order from Argos due to past experiences.
Any makes you would recommend looking for?
Thanks in advance.

KnuckleShot
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:52 - 31 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fidge wrote:
get a 20 or 22" frame, anything will last quite a while if you look after it and nothing will last very long if you don't. There are some okay BH hybrid bikes at GoOutdoors on sale in some of the stores at the moment, think they are about £200.

I buy used bikes as they are always better if you know bikes.

I will defintely check gooutdoors as I have a store in my town aswell, thanks

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 31 Jan 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decathlon's BTwin range are pretty well specced too

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 01 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many ways to approach this. Generic branded MTBs can be had for £40 on Gumtree. I started with a Carrera MTB, then decided I was doing more on-road than off, so stuck some skinny road tyres on it. I then went full-blown road bike which after about a year I decided the drop-bars weren't for me. I then converted the road bike to a single speed flat bar vehicle, which currently weighs about 9 kilos and ticks all of my transport boxes.

So, if buying new or higher-end second hand, I'd try and be sure what type of bike will suit you before shelling out?

KnuckleShot
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:02 - 03 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, not had internet access recently.
I have 5 days off next week (unused holidays Laughing ) I will take a look at decathalon, go outdoors.. Halfords any decent? or overpriced?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:55 - 03 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently got a Charge Grater that was under a year old from ebay (made an offer) for £170 I think it was.
You get proper road bike gearing (so can go fast if wanted), skinnyish tyres, but a bit sturdier than a pure road bike.
On my old Charge Scourer (this supersedes that model), I've done gentle and moderate off road fine.

I'd go for something like that.

I'd suggest getting some panniers and trying to use it for shopping trips etc - it might take 30 minutes instead of 15 to get to the shops, so half an hour total extra on the journey, but you get an hour's cycling. Also get to stick the bike right outside the shop and when it's busy on the roads, sometimes actually be no slower!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 76 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1