Budget 3D printer

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:32 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
You work out what slicer you want to use, run an stl file through said slicer, then send the job to the printer. Try not to be too dejected if the first print looks a bit spazzy.

Don't I have to set it up first? I can run a print through without it killing itself?

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:34 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had visions of it smashing itself to bits because nothing is set right.

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:35 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you knock me up a 'Hello BCF' STL file and I'll wang it through tonight to see what happens.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would double check that all of the limit switch polarities are set right, and that the bed is somewhat level with X and Y.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 12:46 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't smash itself to bits, although you will have to make sure you've got the bed levelled first to avoid damaging it.
I've added a simple stl file for you to try - didn't do 'Hello BCF' because the temptation to try and trace out the logo was quite high, and I can't be arsed atm.

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:58 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
It shouldn't smash itself to bits, although you will have to make sure you've got the bed levelled first to avoid damaging it.
I've added a simple stl file for you to try - didn't do 'Hello BCF' because the temptation to try and trace out the logo was quite high, and I can't be arsed atm.

This going to be a giant cock or something? Laughing

Leveling the bed is as simple as leveling the X and Y with a spirit level right?

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:

You would have got millions of karma if you made him a 3D NobCat

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:59 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

lihp wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:

You would have got millions of karma if you made him a 3D NobCat

Would have come out looking like this

https://ragingfluff.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/222cfb49.jpg

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:01 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Leveling the bed is as simple as leveling the X and Y with a spirit level right?
Most reliable way of doing it is to send the print head to all four corners of the bed, as well as the centre, and using a bit of paper as a feeler gauge to get the distance from the print head right.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:02 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
send the print head

How do I do that? Embarassed

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:04 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need to configure the heads location or will it do it using the limit switches?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:06 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What software are you using to control the printer? Also, check your FB messages.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:14 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
What software are you using to control the printer? Also, check your FB messages.

I built it, turned on the power and went to bed! As the the next steps I'm pretty clueless. There was an Exe on the SD Card supplier, but I assume there is better software out there, any recommendations?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:28 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Slic3r and Pronterface, but they're a bit on the ugly side insofar as the UI is concerned. I'm hearing a lot of positive reviews of Cura these days, although I've never used it myself. I'd advise against using skeinforge, unless you really want to lose yourself in spergatory - it is the most unnecessarily involved bit of software I've had the misfortune of grappling with in a long time.

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is working freakin' ace!

Cura for slicing seems to work really well and is ridiculously simple.
Have a look at thingiverse for test models, loads of stuff on there or yeggi for a general search. PLA was really easy to set up. ABS prints fine, when it adheres. This has been the biggest challenge, getting the ABS print to stick to the bed.

The robot was my very first print, last week. Within am hour the shamrock thing was my best output in PLA. The black robot is my test piece for ABS and the triumph writing is my current attempt to sort out adhesion.

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/Uploads/P1050490%20Custom_zpstxww8xd6.jpg

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/Uploads/P1050485_zpstuemwndb.jpg

https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/Uploads/P1050489%20Custom_zps1ecl7wtb.jpg

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting there

[https://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/marki_03/Uploads/P1050493%20Custom_zpsx977whe3.jpg

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 27 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of stuff on you tube but I watched this one to give me an idea on setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MwdVabSvrs

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:13 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Gerry's help I got mine set up and sort of printing it seems to have an issue extruding enough, need more time to look at it really Thumbs Up

Ichy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What material are you using?

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:21 - 01 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.75mm PLA

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:50 - 07 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry came over last week and we had some fun messing with it, I'm having a problem with the extruder thought it doesn't seem to be feeding enough.

I ramped up the extrusion rate to 150% via software and it is still patchy and missing layers. Gerry said he'll come back and help me out again soon. Thumbs Up

This was my best print, so far

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlf1/v/wl/t34.0-12/12784433_10153940608188476_584093795_n.jpg?oh=b44341cf75078473d84f1d219658fa87&oe=56DFA28D

karma to anyone who can guess what it is. Laughing

Edit, I stopped in halfway through as it had missed about 5mm worth of layers.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 07 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it Yoda?
Smile

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:31 - 07 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgehugger wrote:
Is it Yoda?
Smile

NOPE it is a 'Character' though.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 07 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek roadkill?

PS. That's the greatest thing I've ever seen 3D printed. Thumbs Up

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 07 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
karma to anyone who can guess what it is. Laughing

Cylinder head.
EDIT: After Paddy's tools.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3