Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Junior Doctors strike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:59 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Llama-Farmer wrote:
that means having to cut back on the existing service being provided in the week.

Good.

As above, a 9-5 weekday service[*] benefits the professional sick who have nothing better to do.

Working people who want to use it as a health service might as well not bother.

Perhaps the problem isn't the number of shoulders, it's the size of the burden on them.

You say that tired doctors will kill people as though that's necessarily a bad thing. It depends on the people.

[*] 9:00 to 11:30, 15:00 to 17:30 at my surgery. Phone lines open at 8:30, but you can't get through. The plague-zombie surge to the counter takes care of that. You can either come in and sit and wait all day, or you can book 3 weeks in advance and hope they don't cancel on you.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 15:04 - 10 Feb 2016; edited 1 time in total
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Llama-Farmer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Llama-Farmer wrote:
that means having to cut back on the existing service being provided in the week.

Good.

As above, a 9-5 weekday service[*] benefits the professional sick who have nothing better to do.

The "professional sick" (usually what the doctors refer to as "heart sink" patients, because as soon as you see them your heart sinks) are not the issue.

The issue is that Junior Doctors are working in fields of medicine that do not have "professional sick" in the way that people swamp GP surgeries in the week. Because they can't just go to a hospital and get seen (A&E/urgent care/sexual health clinic aside) they need an appointment for the vast majority of services. They will not get an appointment unless they are referred for an appointment.

You go see a neurologist, or a dermatologist, or an endocrinologist, or go to the fracture clinic, or the rheumatology clinic, or anywhere for that matter, you can't just book an appointment because you want to. You have to be referred, and people who are referred generally (with a few exceptions) do require those appointments.

By reducing the cover in the day time, they'd only need to be seen in the evenings anyway, so "people with jobs" are still going to be stuck waiting for appointments because people who could be seen in the daytime now can't because there are no appointments.

It means waiting lists for appointments will go up as well.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems some people say, those junior doctors are all whingers.

Hard working folk like me should get to see my GP at 9 at night...

This is a different issue entirely. The common denominator, I think, is under funding. Many GP surgeries have closed and one big one for an area have sprung up, but that doesn't mean that the same number of patients can be seen at the same time as three separate surgeries would.

"Oh well that GP is on £(more than me so I can complain) so should work from 7 in the morning til midnight"

That issue could be solved by having two shifts of GPs, a day and night shift if you will? Or you could just close it throughout "working hours" and open after that. But Hunt wants to change normal hours to be 7-10 so you can have your GP appointments after 10 at night and before 7 in the morning. That's obtuse, we should use 9-5 as working hours for us proles that aren't Doctors.

IMO. We (government through our taxes) should be paying our doctors a healthy wage. Why would somebody chose a profession of a millions hours a week, getting shat, pissed, vommed and blooded on for the same as a cashier in ASDA?

To operate the NHS over the weekend (elective surgeries let's say) that simply cannot be done by saying, those that work in the week now will do weekends too, but you won't be working any more hours. That is a lie, it cannot mathematically be true.

Instead, more Doctors should be trained, and not simply imported. The new incumbent of doctors will be told on enrolment what the contract will be on employment and that it will be x amount of unsocial hours but this is what you get paid, because you'll be away from your family.

A few years ago a friend worked at Wilkinson's, he got paid twice the daily rate for working after 8pm!

To end this almost pointless post I will say, Hunt is a pillock. I wholeheartedly support those who are smart enough to learn how to replace my heart in reading the proposals and making their own decisions and not be led blindly like dusty coal miners who can't read or write.

98% voted for strike action.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 I'm amazed you think the whole thing is a biased smear campaign by 'the unions'.

They are not the ones who started this, Jeremy Hunt is.

You seem to think they should just accept what they've been offered, and that this one man, who has fuck all relevant experience running any kind of health service, is correct in what he's doing.

One man! One stupid, elitist, inexperienced man! Laughing

Why are you so in favour of him...?

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
That's how pay rises work. I can't think of a situation where an employer would factor in unknown quantities of future, yet unworked overtime. Can you?

Average hours of overtime worked over the past 12 months?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also @mpd72

I can't remember where I saw it but a certain Tory politician said the only way to privatise the NHS is to make the public think it's falling apart.

And now look what's happening...

Jeremy Hunt is pushing half the doctors to go on strike, people think it's gone to the pits, and we have people like you shouting from the roof tops that it's all the doctors' fault.

I wonder how long it'll be before your attitude changes from 'fuck the doctors' to 'fuck the NHS entirely' and then it's mission accomplished, no more NHS, and all the idiots suckered into supporting this direct political attack will look back and say, "Oh the NHS ate itself, just like the miners did when Thatcher took them on! The unions ruined it!" While the reality is it's being ruined by nothing other then the ideological principles of a select few in government.

As I said, fair enough if you agree with a private health care system. But if you're a supporter of a national health service, you really should look deeper into it. The workers are not the ones bringing it down. Everyone was hunky-dory (apart from the odd bit of bad press every now and again, which no industry is immune to) until the Tories gained free reign and Hunt stepped in as health minister. Strange how suddenly everything looks like it's crashing down, is it not..? You need to think about what's changed - the 150'000 doctors who've been doing their thing for years, even decades? Or the new government who only came in a year ago...

Quote:
No, he comes across as a w4nker, but let's face it, that role is political suicide. Being Health Minister is the short straw.

If you look at the propaganda coming from the unions, it's complete lies and miss-truths. Every single "concern" brought about by the union has been proven to be complete b0llocks, yet people are still peddling it and the foolish are believing it.

Absolutely nothing to do with him being a proven advocate of a privatised health system then?

EDIT: Found it:
https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/your-practice/practice-topics/practice-income/10-charge-for-gp-appointments-would-raise-the-nhs-12bn-study-finds/20005100.article
https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/v/t1.0-9/12376401_1101017399938172_6012970863191680113_n.jpg?oh=22381d7f5bf87af7967bc62ccbb91501&oe=572C86AA

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:18 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I get it, there's no problem.

Working folk should just take time off to go to 9-5 in-patient appointments, then sit around for hours because they always run late, and that's when they don't just shrug and say "Got no record of it, don't care that you're waving an appointment card at me, you'll need to book it again via your GP. Don't care that you'll need to take yet more time off to try and do that. Not my problem."

Which has happened to me, personally.

Having the maximum provision at the very time when most other people are at work benefits NHS staff, not patients.

What's the cost to the economy of people taking time off work to sit around waiting and waiting and waiting?

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Here's a good summary of all he guff and mistruths being peddled by the media...

https://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-junior-doctors-pay-cut/21890

To build on this link you've provided, I did read it Smile (proud face)

The comments below discuss some points which should also be taken into account but perhaps the writer isn't adjusting their post?

Quote:
Of course no existing trainee’s pay will fall (until 2019) because of the ‘pay protection premium’ the whole point of which is to stop that happening. This is however the only real concession in the new offer and is effectively a bribe to pacify current trainees at the expense of future ones.

Based on the existing salary and my current rota per year I work:
8 Saturday days(0800-2030), 8 Saturday nights (2000-0830), 8 Sunday days, 8 Sunday nights and 32 weekday nights along with other lates and standard (8-1730) days averaging 46 hours per week across the year, a fairly intense on call rota.

This qualifies me for 1A rota and my current salary at CT2 is £31 838 basic with a 50% supplement taking this to £47757 per year.

In three years time a CT2 on the same rota (who will have moved outside their pay protection baseline assuming they are an FY1 currently) will earn (based on the information given in the contract offer) £37400 basic but only £3947 extra for the antisocial hours involved giving £41347 gross, a pay cut (not to me personally but to the role which will be identical) of 13.4%.

This will not apply to doctors doing specialty training in specialties that attract the ‘flexible pay premia’ which is essentially taking money from the roles as above and giving it to trainees in specialties where training is currently unattractive (the main reason for this not usually being pay, but working environment) to help keep the overall budget cost neutral.

Under current terms an FY1 this year who has regular working hours of 1230-2200 Tues-Fri and 0800-1730 on Saturday would earn £33954. Next year (as a new starter not eligible for the pay protection premia)they would earn £25500, a cut of 25%.

This is further exacerbated by the fact that our additional banding is unpensionable currently but by increasing basic pay as a proportion of our salaries it will increase our pension contributions by a similar proportion, further impacting on net take-home pay.

This is one of many posts which talk about cutting pay.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
OK, I get it, there's no problem.

Working folk should just take time off to go to 9-5 in-patient appointments, then sit around for hours because they always run late, and that's when they don't just shrug and say "Got no record of it, don't care that you're waving an appointment card at me, you'll need to book it again via your GP. Don't care that you'll need to take yet more time off to try and do that. Not my problem."

Which has happened to me, personally.

Having the maximum provision at the very time when most other people are at work benefits NHS staff, not patients.

What's the cost to the economy of people taking time off work to sit around waiting and waiting and waiting?

Could this be bounced back to your employer, who should give you discretion to be off for the procedure? Sick pay for example?

I'm not saying that is a solution each time but it could work.

EDIt - Pressed submit too soon.

You want there to be elective procedures "out of hours". Should they then, cancel them in hours, the doctors work longer or have more doctors to provide more workable hours for these "out of hours" services?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:25 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:

When I say cost, I mean an actual loss of productivity. Less things being done and made.

People don't tend to take half a day or a day off to thumb-twiddle at the in-patient stockyard and then go in to work and make up the lost time.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
DrSnoosnoo wrote:

When I say cost, I mean an actual loss of productivity. Less things being done and made.

I don't know. What is the cost?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:38 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
I don't know. What is the cost?

Exactly.

Exactly.

[Leans back, lights pipe]

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Exactly.

[Leans back, lights pipe]

[INSERT_GIF_OHMAIGAWD]

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

So he said the bit in brackets did he? Of are those words being put in by the author of this left wing propaganda?

No, he said, in relation to charging people for GP visits:

Quote:
‘There would be drawbacks of this charging. It would be political suicide for a party to introduce this. They could only really do it if there was a feeling in the country that health services were falling apart. It could be time-consuming to monitor payments, bank them, and chase up non-payment – and there would be a cost to all that.’

Admittedly his comment was a little more tame than the AAV guy paints it, but it's still interesting that he also felt it worthy to point out that you could start a fee-paying service if people were led to think the NHS was falling to bits.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

If doctors surgeries really were more accessible (which mine isn't), maybe les people would be walking into A&E as a convenient drop in centre for medical care?

I wonder how many people actually use A&E as a drop-in centre.

Seems like another clear case of liberally applying negative, biased assumptions about everyone around you.

How many people do you actually know who waste GP and A&E time with false problems? They'll be out there I'm sure but the numbers will barely give reason to moan.

Just like you blame benefits claimants for much, much deeper social security and welfare problems, you are now blaming the odd NHS freeloader in exactly the same way. If you seriously think the country's health service problems are caused by people abusing it on the frontline, you're deluded.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all missing the bigger picture.

The UK economy that underlies everything cannot currently support the spending OR the debt levels. While a lot of people will say oh but the state isn't like a house hold budget! The state can print... since when has printing money ever been a good idea?

So since 2008 all that has happened is that the UK government has stepped between reality and the debts created by banks but this can't go on forever.

Osborn isn't just winding back the state and in this case the contracts of doctors because of ideological reasons, he needs taxes to stay where they are and to provide no service just to keep the system upright.

Between you and me this isn't going to be acceptable. Even if somehow be manages to politically get away with taxing everything as he is but stopping service provision there is a problem with this strategy. He'll just bankrupt the workforce as they have to pay the tax bill plus pay for all the services the state stops providing.

Take for instance police. We effectively have a much reduced service which means more stuff gets stolen which we replace.

So there's only really one way out and they did that in 2008... a lot of people pillory me and say the inflation never happened! Except it did, the economy was two tiered real working peoples' bills increased and ratcheted upwards. Living standards fell.

This is why the Chinese changed strategy. They started buying assets and infrastructure instead of bonds and currency. Those could be inflated away. Hard assets can't.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:36 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
you are now blaming the odd NHS freeloader

So are doctors.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jan/03/third-gps-back-charges-aande-crisis

The headline number of 1/3rd wanting to charge time wasters is actually a bit disingenuous as that's just the number that put it as their 1st choice of 5. Another 25% plumped for it as their 2nd choice, which is still pretty favourable.

Still, what do doctors know? Some of them have probably even read the Daily Mail non-ironically at one point.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 10 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to get time and a half after 6pm and double after 9pm until 7am when it went to time and a half till 8am then normal time from 8am till 6pm on week days, weekends was time and a fifth day time and the enhanced rates as per norm. Sunday was double time plus time in lieu.

Now I get bog standard no matter what hours I work.

My sister is a senior theatre nurse who was getting double time for nights. She worked permanent for over 20 years, then they decided that nights were just the same as days, no problem said she, I will just do days, trouble is no one would do nights, they all had excuses like child minders, work life balance, afraid of the dark, bus services, ghosts. So she is still on nights at reduced pay.

I'm sure all of you would do your job at 11pm on a Saturday night or all day Sunday, you will get a day off mid week though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 71 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 2 of 49