25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
just walk
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 4

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 13 Feb 2016    Post subject: Claud Butler Trailridge Reply with quote

my apollo is literally droppin to bits: brakes,all the bearings and seat ; infront of my eyes.... 3 winters & 28 miles per week of up and down kerbs and shit foot paths have taken its toll ..

seen one of these for Claud Butler Trailridge £150

so i`m askin "is the Claud Butler brand an upgrade or not ?"

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:58 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: Claud Butler Trailridge Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
my apollo is literally droppin to bits: brakes,all the bearings and seat ; infront of my eyes.... 3 winters & 28 miles per week of up and down kerbs and shit foot paths have taken its toll ..

seen one of these for Claud Butler Trailridge £150

so i`m askin "is the Claud Butler brand an upgrade or not ?"

If you want something else that's not going to fall apart too then I'd really suggest trying to get a bit more money together and go for something second hand, preferably from a reputable bike shop that gives you some guarantee on it not having loads of worn out parts (like so many of the gumtree "bargains" do).

Second hand you can pick up something pretty decent nearer the £200 mark, but I'd say you're looking at £300 + for new if you want somethin ga bit more reliable. There will be exceptions though and you may do well with sales of last year models this time of year.

Have you looked at the Decathlon website for new bikes? About the best bargains for decent spec that you're likley to find.

What sort of bike are you after / what are you using it for? Commuter? Long distance?

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:58 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

+
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-10829-bikes

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: Claud Butler Trailridge Reply with quote

AdamEf wrote:

What sort of bike are you after / what are you using it for? Commuter? Long distance?

work ... 5 miles or so every day on shit foot paths and up and down kerbs ... in the summer to the shops and occasionally i do a 24 miller on one of the c2c routes..

if i buy any thing "nice" it will get stolen... Sick

so to be clear ...
these rockriders are a better quality machine than claud butlers .. Thinking

PS.. one of those stores has just opened on the Team Valley ... wasn`t there the last time i looked ... i`m that way over the next week anyway so i`ll pay a visit Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:19 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop going up and down kerbs. Wink

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:26 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: Claud Butler Trailridge Reply with quote

I got a second hand charge grater 2 for not much more than that - a massive amount more bike for the money.

I'd keep an eye out for something like that.

(Also, again, a little more for a 2012 Giant Defy 2 - road bike, but if you're careful on the kerbs, probably does what you need better.)

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Stop going up and down kerbs. Wink

only if you stop postin jpgs of cats Rolling Eyes

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: Claud Butler Trailridge Reply with quote

G wrote:

but if you're careful on the kerbs

bit difficult @ 6:15am with little or no street lights ...

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:13 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: Claud Butler Trailridge Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
G wrote:

but if you're careful on the kerbs

bit difficult @ 6:15am with little or no street lights ...

First off - why no lights brighter than the sun?
Cheap these days and well worth it.

Then - I wouldn't want to be hitting curbs I can't see whatever.
Ok, it was worse than a 'kerb', but I've got a nice scar on my head from hitting an underwater pothole I hadn't seen and going over the front.

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: Claud Butler Trailridge Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

so to be clear ...
these rockriders are a better quality machine than claud butlers .. Thinking

I've not seen the roackriders but have serviced their road and hybrid bikes and they seem to be ok.

Also, normally recommend people avoid Halfords when looking at bikes, but their Carrera Subway bikes are pretty good for the money. We service lots of those and they're fairly reliable.

For your use it sounds like you'd be best with a robust hybrid. Full on mountain bikes with suspension etc adds weight, and cheap bikes with suspension forks usually have very cheap suspension forks on them.

Have a look at the Carrera Subway 1 and 2 that they've got on offer on Halfords website at the moment.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/classic-bikes/carrera-subway-1-mens-hybrid-bike-2015

or preferably

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/classic-bikes/carrera-subway-2-hybrid-bike-2015

+ Just budget a bit of money to get it set up / serviced somewhere other than Halfords after buying it.

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or keep a look out for one of those second hand as they have sold a lot of them so the second hand market is flooded with them, often at good prices. Just be careful it's not worn out.

Also, Specialized Sirrus. Lots around second hand. Bit more of a stealable name though.

+First thing I'd always check is chain when looking at second hand bikes. A cheap chain checker that tells you if chain is 0.75% or 1% worn can pay for itself very quickly. If the chain checker drops in at 0.75% then the chain needs changing and you might have got away with changing just the chain (depending on if it's been ridden favouring a couple of sprockets on the back or not, or wear has been spread across them all evenly), and if it drops in on the 1% side then it means chain is worn to the point where cassette is worn with it and needs changing too. This is where costs start to add up, espcially if chain is worn to the point where chainset teeth are looking pointy too, as chainset will need replacing.. starting to get near £80 to £100 in replacements.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:33 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: Claud Butler Trailridge Reply with quote

G wrote:

First off - why no lights brighter than the sun?
Cheap these days and well worth it.

any thing worth having will get nicked .. the items fitted were around £6 the pair .. small and adequate to keep me "legal" but they are to be seen rather than to see with..

also i do go the c2c route and round here its hard core with cinders and goat tracks with embedded bricks (NCB land ) so a MTB would be better.

any way i went to that shop on the team valley and bought on of their MTB .. not particulary high spec but @ £189 i should get 3 or so years out of it.. then i`ll chuck it and buy another..

Last edited by Copycat73 on 15:50 - 14 Feb 2016; edited 2 times in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:37 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

When buying some lights, also get yourself a better lock. Thumbs Up

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
When buying some lights, also get yourself a better lock. Thumbs Up

i tend only to leave it standin for half an hour or so at the shops and there are cameras..
some thing for £10 would be fine... unlikely it will attract attention at work

they don`t bother with cheap bikes; but would steel bits if for no other reason than spite:....
any way sub £200 hardly worth the effort..

wouldn`t cover the cost of a wrap.. Pale

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:50 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: Claud Butler Trailridge Reply with quote

Never seen a place where people'll nick lights but not the bike.

Anyway - you can get very respectable head torches for £15 that'll give you loads of illumination - including charger etc.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 14 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: Claud Butler Trailridge Reply with quote

G wrote:
Never seen a place where people'll nick lights but not the bike.

Anyway - you can get very respectable head torches for £15 that'll give you loads of illumination - including charger etc.

i don`t know anyone who would wear such a device Shifty

some lite readin

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/washington-tyne-and-wear.html Shifty
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 66 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1