Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Belgium and more - Loads More Piccies!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 01 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Silver_Fox wrote:
This trip sounds pretty excitibobs

Was it the mention of goats? Laughing

Busted Embarassed

How long is the entire trip inc the Alps/Italy? Who already knows who? And where is everyone coming from? Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 01 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trip is open-ended Shocked

By which I mean, for me, it depends on how the available funds I have last, and what my stamina for the whole thing turns out to be. Company might well make it easier for me to keep going longer. I have pretty much unlimited time in which to do this Smile

My mate, who I originally first planned this with, has to be back home no later than 10th June.

Out of the people who have commented so far on this thread, I have met Matt, Aff and Pigeon on other trips/meets (none outside the UK though so far). But if you never go on any, you'll never meet anyone Wink

I'm coming down from Carlisle, hopefully staying overnight with aforementioned mate at his gaff in Kent (he doesn't know this yet Laughing ) before heading for the tunnel crossing.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 01 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my bike from Carlisle, that was a trek just to get back to MK Shocked

The 4 guys I bike with want to go to Snowdonia (again) 27th May, but Europe sounds way more fun Twisted Evil

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 01 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furthest I ever went to buy a bike was from London to Guernsey. Had a nice day out Laughing

Snowdonia's good - excellent roads and scenery, but Europe has got to the top of my priority list, something I've been wanting to do for years. I've only done limited riding over there, and that was donkey's years ago, and didn't really do much in the way of exploring even then.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:22 - 01 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Guildford and about 2 hours from the tunnel.

Happy to meet up somewhere on route. 9am at the tunnel would be doable, but would prefer not to earlier if possible.

Needs my beauty sleep Smile

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 01 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver_Fox wrote:
How long is the entire trip inc the Alps/Italy? Who already knows who? And where is everyone coming from? Smile
The Alps/Italy bit is more Chickenstrip and his mates addition to the trip, but I would like to tag along if I can somehow get the time free but its pretty unlikely i'll be going beyond the first 4 days as i've got some other stuff booked already for this year.

I'm coming over from Dorset and i've met Chickenstrip and Pigeon and Aff before in person, but anyone new is more than welcome - we all met by doing trips like this in the past and its always nice to have some new people come along Thumbs Up.

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 02 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. I'm harmless, if you exclude the hi viz leathers and dad jokes Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:48 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning is going well for this - getting excited myself now Very Happy

We'll be hopefully visiting a shed-load of museums and forts connected with both WW1 and WW2 in France and Belgium, and riding through some great scenery too. A lot to cram in to just 3 full days (most are travelling home on Tues 31st May).

Some of the places we hope to visit:

https://www.101airbornemuseumbastogne.com

https://www.december44.com/en/history_battle_of_the_bulgela_gleize.htm

https://www.chateau-fort-sedan.fr/en/visits

https://www.ww1battlefields.co.uk/verdun/fleury.html

https://www.tourisme-verdun.fr/en_subterranean-citadel-underground-citadel-.php

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to check; so far we have Me, Chickenstrip, Neil and arry confirmed.

Pigeon and Silver_Fox are you both definitely coming/cleared leave-wise with work etc or do you need a bit more time? Looking to book various bits soon.

For those that are coming, can you PM me and let me know if you want to share rooms/have your own or need to leave/return at a specific time on the Friday or Tuesday on the tunnel.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will sort out my details tomorrow mate. I'm seeing a mate tomorrow that may be up for it.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, cheers Thumbs Up

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely in. Cleared leave....sort of. I've asked and they said yes verbally. So I'm proceeding on that basis.

Will PM you Matt Thumbs Up

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 27th off but not the dates after the weekend yet. I'll let you know asap. Room wise I'm not precious, I'm happy to share to keep costs down. Any funny noises I make in my sleep though are gratis Laughing

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 04 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats alright, its not really urgent if you need more time, just trying to confirm and book whatever can be done at the moment to minimise things piling up Razz.

I'll keep in mind you might be wanting to share if/when you do get it all confirmed Thumbs Up.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 16 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

All booked now Thumbs Up. Sent PM's to everyone.

If anyone else wants to join the trip post on here or send me a PM and i'll forward you all the booking information.

Once you recieve your tunnel booking emails you can use the information in them to submit your API information (will recieve another email guiding you to do this). Needs to be done before travelling.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 19 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and Fazer mate all booked, looking forward to it Very Happy

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 19 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna be booked tomorrow as soon as I get to a proper screen Thumbs Up

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:50 - 20 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boom! Sorted

Now all I've got to do is re-learn how to ride this motorbike thingy Praying Puke

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 20 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like it could be a right laugh.

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 20 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent you a PM grr Thumbs Up.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 20 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am booked Thumbs Up

As I said to Matt, I really wanted to visit some of the areas made infamous by WW2, but probably would have been years before I'd got my fat arse in gear to sort it out.
Then thankfully you guys are going in 8 weeks time Smile

Not entirely sure how my little mind will react to seeing some of these things. Much of which now will just be grassy dents and trees, but it's that funny thing of the hairs on your neck going off on one because of what happened. I certainly doubt I could visit Auschwitz.

But if I do end up balling like a 2 year old, I can count on BCF to not rip the piss mercilessly.......damnit.

Really looking forward to it. Very Happy

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 20 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck is it really eight weeks? I really do need to drag the bike out

arthurmo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:04 - 21 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed you plan on going to Verdun if you have the time try and visit the trench of the Bavarians. It's some of the best original trenches of any I've seen.
https://www.magoguide.net/?mago_item=trenches-of-the-bavarians-and-the-count-of-roffignac

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 21 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Am booked Thumbs Up

As I said to Matt, I really wanted to visit some of the areas made infamous by WW2, but probably would have been years before I'd got my fat arse in gear to sort it out.
Then thankfully you guys are going in 8 weeks time Smile

Not entirely sure how my little mind will react to seeing some of these things. Much of which now will just be grassy dents and trees, but it's that funny thing of the hairs on your neck going off on one because of what happened. I certainly doubt I could visit Auschwitz.

But if I do end up balling like a 2 year old, I can count on BCF to not rip the piss mercilessly.......damnit.

Really looking forward to it. Very Happy

I liken it to that final scene in Blackadder Goes Forth. I still blub every single time

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 21 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really a great fan of war cemeteries and concentration camps. I also find it all a bit depressing, and rows of crosses don't really do it for me as places to visit, though I do hold the proper respect for those that gave their lives to defend our liberty etc.

Rightly or wrongly, war fascinates me however, and I'm particularly interested in how servicemen coped with the extreme conditions they found themselves in, and the Battle of the Bulge is a good example of such extremes, not only because of the stresses of combat, but also the conditions of severe cold the combatants had to cope with. Those that survived must have been little short of supermen to come out of it with a shred of sanity left!

I can give you all a rough outline of what happened at the places we hope to visit while we're there for the WW2 stuff at least, but I would recommend that you read up on the relevant campaigns before doing so, on this trip and any similar that you may do in the future. It gives a great insight into what you are actually seeing, and makes the whole trip much more worthwhile if you know why you have travelled hundreds of miles to look at a trench or hole in the ground in some anonymous bit of woodland or field! (although of course, the museums, tanks and other remaining military relics do somewhat speak for themselves).

For the Battle of the Bulge, I would recommend this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RLA3VMG/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9