Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Belgium and more - Loads More Piccies!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has been saying don't bother with the breathalyser?
Paper license is now meaningless. Only need the card.
Oh shit yeah, Euro no. plate! Need to get one.
I have now sorted a travel money card (Post Office, no charges on spending, cash withdrawals etc), passport (hadn't held one for many years), bike insurance, tax, MOT, service, tyres (decided to go to Scotland for a few days tomorrow, so these'll be done again when I get back), Euro breakdown cover with full repatriation, EHICS card.
I've got a couple of sets of reflective stickers which I'll bring, but not putting them on before we go.
Haven't got a hi-viz, should I get one?

Might be getting the rear wheel bearings changed for peace of mind before we go. I've had a set fail on me on a Fazer that was at about my current mileage before, and it niggles me.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:27 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Case wrote:
No country does 'drabness' with such pizzazz as Belgium !.

Maybe, we'll see. Main reason for this part of the trip for me is the WW2 history, museums etc, so not a huge problem if it's otherwise uninspiring. But I keep reading of the German schwerpunkt having been channeled through narrow gorges alongside fast flowing rivers. Maybe it depends on where in Belgium you go?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sure which items are required or not.

Forgot the ehics card, now in wallet Smile

I've got a spare, new hiviz from BikeSafe (not attended yet, given by a mate), can bring along for you Mr Strip?

You don't need to wear it, just be able to produce it. I think ...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:37 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
I don't know for sure which items are required or not.

I'm sure people are saying there is no fine or other penalty for not carrying the breathalyser

I'm not sure whether to bother with spare bulbs?

Quote:
I've got a spare, new hiviz from BikeSafe (not attended yet, given by a mate), can bring along for you Mr Strip?

Would you? I never use one normally. Cheers Thumbs Up

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need a breathalyser or high-viz (see below, you do now), but no harm taking them if you have them. I carry a high-viz for bad weather but I do that back here too, never wear it otherwise. (And we won't need to because it will be endless blazing sunshine for the whole trip Sun Silence).

I'll have a couple of spare "communal" bulbs on me this time so I wouldn't worry too much if you haven't got any already.

Reflective helmet stickers/GB stickers etc are personal choice I guess, you could be done for not having them, but lots of people seem to repeatedly not use them and have no issues. Personally I do use both.

People need to add API info to their tunnel bookings before we leave too (not sure if they still email prompting you to do so).
https://www.eurotunnel.com/apis/

Last edited by -Matt- on 21:50 - 07 May 2016; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the best place to order a GB/Euro badged no.plate from to get it in time?

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://shop.in-spired.gifts/gb-number-plate-stickers-choice-of-4-inc-bcf-version-261-p.asp Razz

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:
https://shop.in-spired.gifts/gb-number-plate-stickers-choice-of-4-inc-bcf-version-261-p.asp Razz

Oh, gotta be the one with the BCF logo then, hasn't it Mr. Green

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's law now that you must carry a hi-viz on the bike in France. No need to wear it though.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
It's law now that you must carry a hi-viz on the bike in France.

We're Brits. They're just Froggies. If they try to do us for anything, we'll argue and they'll surrender Laughing

Ali in Austria
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:13 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the requirement to carry a Breath Test kit is still on the French Statute Books, there is no penalty for failing to do so.

It is indeed now law to have to carry a Hi Viz in France. Also for Pillion.

The fine for failing to do so is around €11,- I believe.

It has been an offence to fail to wear a Hi Viz in the event of a Breakdown or other emergency on French Motorways for many years. The fine is €110,- from memory.

The French have been known to be pedantic with Brits and while it may not be a requirement to carry a Bulb Kit, have one go and not be able to replace it when they point it out can attract a fine.

If I have breached advertising please delete this but if you go to this page on our web site, scroll down to just below the Google Map, you will find a Home Office Widget with links to the relevant information which should be up to date. Just click, and keep clicking on the icons on the map where you will be going.

https://www.pensionhausmaria.com/location.asp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 10 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Hope you can make it arry. I've almost built up enough of a stash of painkillers now, you won't be alone if you're a bit sore!

I hope I can make it too Laughing

I'm about a week and a bit in now, and the pain today has finally started to ease and I have some mobility back. I'm hoping that this isn't a false dawn, as I have to say I was in agony all weekend, but the signs are quite positive at the moment.

So the things I've got to do:
Sort the MOT on the Triumph
Buy some waterproofs - not that we'll need em like, but you know
Find / sort new EHIC card
Check Travel Insurance for motorbike use (sure I remembered it's fine as long as I'm on my own bike that I rode out of UK on)
Confirm the passport numbers etc to the Hotel which I still haven't done
Buy Euro breakdown cover
Work out from the various objects everyone seems to think we require to go across to our European cousins' land, which ones I'll actually need, and then purchase said items.

Things I'd like to do:
Trade the Triumph in for a KTM 990 SMT
Get more than ~100 miles in, in one sitting - not much hope of that with ribs still healing
Work on luggage solutions so I don't have to take my panniers as they're crap anyway
At least have a little look over the routes etc so I'm not relying on you guys to plan out for me entirely, and when you invariably leave me behind because I'm a broken man who hasn't ridden properly in over a year, I don't get lost Laughing

What's the plan for evenings guys - are we heading into town for something to eat and beers? Just trying to work out what to pack, clothes wise, more than anything.

Thumbs Up

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:48 - 10 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knocking some bits off the list now.

If anyone hasn't got their EHIC card - you can apply for it online, dead easy, and with you within 10 days Thumbs Up

https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do

D_redd
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:07 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Couldn't do your job whilst having chemotherapy? What are you a man or a mouse?! Shocked

Bloody hell mate. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Actually got out on the bike yesterday! 100 miles. Not too bad on the shoulder although aching a bit this morning. More to do, to get ready.....

https://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk301/arryR32/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0360_zpszaqwnbfl.jpg

I've been tempted by one of these, love the blue arry. So you don't think much of the panniers? Sure I saw someone else say these were pretty good! Perhpas they had aftermarket ones, if there are such things.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:28 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're just an odd shape mate - which means they don't really hold a lot if you've anything that doesn't pack down ie fold or crush. They're also very heavy and not very waterproof.

That said they're better than nothing, but I'd rather not use them if I can help it.

As for the Sprint - it's a good bike but I fancy something more upright so it'll be going soon.

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:20 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Case wrote:
No country does beer with such pizzazz as Belgium !.

ftfy

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
What's the plan for evenings guys - are we heading into town for something to eat and beers? Just trying to work out what to pack, clothes wise, more than anything.
Few places to eat within walking distance of the hotel; the Buffalo Grill's aren't too bad. Theres also a supermarket and petrol station very close if we need either.
https://i67.tinypic.com/344v8rs.jpg

If we want to go into the town centre for a few beers any of the evenings its only 10 minutes away so sharing a taxi should be cheap.
https://i68.tinypic.com/149xf1w.jpg

Should hopefully be finishing off fixing my bike tomorrow if all goes to plan, think i'm pretty much ready then (until I realise i've forgotten something).

-Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 19 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finally "sorted" pretty much now - got the bike back in a roadworthy condition (minus a working back brake currently Whistle but will be bleeding that ASAP).

Almost a week to go Shocked.

Reminder in case anyones missed it or forgotten (as I have been doing, need to sort half of the following tomorrow Rolling Eyes).

-EHIC/travel insurance if you want either.
-API information for the euro tunnel booking needs adding to your booking.
-Ring banks/insurers to inform going abroad etc.
-Euro money's.
-Travel adaptors.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:29 - 20 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've booked bike in for MOT tomorrow - it's more a test of me than the bike. Recovering but not fast enough!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 20 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Matt- wrote:

-Ring banks to inform going abroad etc.

This is all well and good, but my bank tells me I have to be able to give them the exact dates I will be in what countries for them to ensure not blocking my card. Fine for the Belgium bit, but as me and Neil are winging everything after that, not a lot of help.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 20 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
This is all well and good, but my bank tells me I have to be able to give them the exact dates I will be in what countries for them to ensure not blocking my card. Fine for the Belgium bit, but as me and Neil are winging everything after that, not a lot of help.

Actually spoken to them or just doing the online banking form?

Mine was the same (Nationwide credit card), phoned them and said that I travel regularly and they need to remove the blocking for Europe completely. They did, no problem.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 20 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually went into my local branch and spoke to them. Reply was basically, "no dates? sorry, can't help". I've got a Post Office travel money card which will be my main one, so not the end of the world, but the debit card is the back-up for me. So I'll have to let them know (OL) each time I go into a different country as we go.

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 20 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley just give them extended dates either side to cover....

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 20 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver_Fox wrote:
Shirley just give them extended dates either side to cover....

Trouble is, we'll be doing Germany, Switzerland, France, Italy, possibly Austria, and don't have any dates for when we'll be in which.
I think I'll try what MattB did, try phoning and getting a blanket enable on all Europe.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 20 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a hair cut Shocked and bought some Euro plug adaptors - that's it, I is ready, bring it on! Very Happy

Damn all these cards and stuff with PIN, ref., access numbers etc. How do folk remember them all?!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 336 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9