Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

London > Valencia On a 125... Leaving Tomorrow

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

SocialLondone...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:59 - 15 Jun 2016    Post subject: London > Valencia On a 125... Leaving Tomorrow Reply with quote

Hi guys.

I'm leaving tomorrow from London at 11pm, got a ferry from Dover to Calais at 2am, will be in France at 4:30am and will be starting the 1,000 mile ride to South os Spain (Valencia)

I'm taking with me the necessary requirements for French roads (Hi Vis, Breathalyser and Spare Bulbs)

I'm going on a 2016 SFM ZZ125 which does vibrate quite a bit at about 70.

Would anyone have any tips for comforting the vibrations? I've been fine on 60 mile rides but this is a bit longer and I feel that by about 200 miles my hands and bum will be numb!

Any other tips for this long distant ride would be more than welcome. I should mention, I'm taking a spare Jerry Can with me with extra fuel as I don't have a Gauge, don't want to get caught out!

When I get to Dover I'll be removing the L plates as I can't use them in France.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 15 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC You can't ride outside of the UK unless you have a full license, so you best hope you don't get stopped.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 15 Jun 2016    Post subject: Re: London > Valencia On a 125... Leaving Tomorrow Reply with quote

SocialLondoner wrote:
I'm going on a 2016 SFM ZZ125 which does vibrate quite a bit at about 70.

Would anyone have any tips for comforting the vibrations?

Do 65mph.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:32 - 15 Jun 2016    Post subject: Re: London > Valencia On a 125... Leaving Tomorrow Reply with quote

SocialLondoner wrote:

Would anyone have any tips for comforting the vibrations?

Speak to them softly and tell them how much you love them really?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SocialLondone...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:32 - 15 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. According to french authorities you are allowed to use your European Provisional Licence throughout Europe as long as you respect each countries laws on what you display, and in the case of france you don't display L plates, you just have to always carry your license with you.

I assume this would be the reason why you see 14 year olds riding around on 50's doing wheelies with no helmets Very Happy

garth wrote:
IIRC You can't ride outside of the UK unless you have a full license, so you best hope you don't get stopped.

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:53 - 15 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm found this about riding 125s and correspondence with a rental company in france

https://www.c90club.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20154&sid=73393075fe686557601780b2b4b82ca1

although there is an accountwall for access so to quote:
(skip for tl;dr)
Quote:

Regarding France, I have had the following email exchange with a company in France.

Hello, can you tell me please, is it correct that I can ride in France a motorcycle up to 125cc on a full UK car driving licence if I am over 18?

Thank you, J

Hi J,
Thanks for your email.
The rules for UK driving licenses changed in January 2013, and a UK driving license is not sufficient for renting a 125cc in France but would work for renting an MP3. In order to rent a 125cc you would need the equivalent of an A1 permit, a license that dates before 1982 or have insured a 125cc in the last 5 years in your name.
You can rent a 50cc scooter on a UK driving license.
Hope that helps!
Thanks,
F

Thank you F for your prompt reply, much appreciated.

So out of interest, what is the situation for a UK rider bringing their own 125cc bike to France, if they hold a UK car licence and a UK CBT? Presumably as the bike was currently insured, if their car license pre dated 1982 they could ride in France?

Thanking you in anticipation, J

Hi J,
No problem – the rule changes last year seem to have complicated things quite a bit! I don’t think my last email was clear – I forgot to put an ‘or’ in front of the 1982 licence part so “In order to rent a 125cc you would need the equivalent of an A1 permit, or a license that dates before 1982 or have insured a 125cc in the last 5 years in your name.”
Basically if you have the correct license to ride a 125cc in the country of origin of the license you can ride one here.
Our insurance here is for a professional rental fleet so I would suggest you check with your personal insurance to be on the safe side.
Hope that helps!
F

Clear as owt then, but if mr rental bod is to be trusted then tl;dr: “In order to rent a 125cc you would need the equivalent of an A1 permit, or a license that dates before 1982 or have insured a 125cc in the last 5 years in your name”... But then this is for rentals of frog bikes, so does it apply? :/

I'm interested, how did you find out about the euro provisional license bit?

And the no helmet thing, I was told they do have to wear a helmet, but the law doesn't specify where, so on the arm is fair game.

SocialLondone...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:00 - 15 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, interesting communication. Everything on the internet is so contradictory.. even that email.. it says if you have insurance on a 125 it's ok? :S

I actually had to call the French Embassy and happened to speak to someone there who used to work for the DVLA equivelant in France and she explained everything to me.

She said if I arrive at Calais with L plates they will ask me to remove them.. and then let me on my way. Seems rediculous really.

(btw the helmet part was a joke Wink - That's what 14 year olds do in the uk Wink haha)

So.. from what I've been told.. because licenses are now EU - and not just UK .. you are entitled to use this within the EU countries and also.. if you look on your license it has a UK Flag and when moved to a different light, shows the EU flag Very Happy

smallfrowne wrote:
Hmmmm found this about riding 125s and correspondence with a rental company in france

https://www.c90club.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20154&sid=73393075fe686557601780b2b4b82ca1

although there is an accountwall for access so to quote:
(skip for tl;dr)
Quote:

Regarding France, I have had the following email exchange with a company in France.

Hello, can you tell me please, is it correct that I can ride in France a motorcycle up to 125cc on a full UK car driving licence if I am over 18?

Thank you, J

Hi J,
Thanks for your email.
The rules for UK driving licenses changed in January 2013, and a UK driving license is not sufficient for renting a 125cc in France but would work for renting an MP3. In order to rent a 125cc you would need the equivalent of an A1 permit, a license that dates before 1982 or have insured a 125cc in the last 5 years in your name.
You can rent a 50cc scooter on a UK driving license.
Hope that helps!
Thanks,
F

Thank you F for your prompt reply, much appreciated.

So out of interest, what is the situation for a UK rider bringing their own 125cc bike to France, if they hold a UK car licence and a UK CBT? Presumably as the bike was currently insured, if their car license pre dated 1982 they could ride in France?

Thanking you in anticipation, J

Hi J,
No problem – the rule changes last year seem to have complicated things quite a bit! I don’t think my last email was clear – I forgot to put an ‘or’ in front of the 1982 licence part so “In order to rent a 125cc you would need the equivalent of an A1 permit, or a license that dates before 1982 or have insured a 125cc in the last 5 years in your name.”
Basically if you have the correct license to ride a 125cc in the country of origin of the license you can ride one here.
Our insurance here is for a professional rental fleet so I would suggest you check with your personal insurance to be on the safe side.
Hope that helps!
F

Clear as owt then, but if mr rental bod is to be trusted then tl;dr: “In order to rent a 125cc you would need the equivalent of an A1 permit, or a license that dates before 1982 or have insured a 125cc in the last 5 years in your name”... But then this is for rentals of frog bikes, so does it apply? :/

I'm interested, how did you find out about the euro provisional license bit?

And the no helmet thing, I was told they do have to wear a helmet, but the law doesn't specify where, so on the arm is fair game.

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:21 - 15 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right that was handy then. I did find this too https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving-licence/driving-licence-recognition-validity/index_en.htm

Conflicting information on both tabs. On the "I'm living in another EU country" tab you get:
Quote:
Provisional or temporary licences, international driving permits (or any other certificates issued in your home country) may not be recognised in other EU countries.

On the "I'm a tourist tab" you get:
Quote:
Before you go, make sure your driving licence has not expired.
You cannot drive to another country on just a provisional licence or certificate .

So straight forward. Have fun! Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine, at least it'll be warm.

Also you don't need the breathalysers in France, well technically you do, but there is no fine for not complying, or something on them lines. But don't listen to me I'm just another contradiction on the internet.

Double also I think the high viz is just for stopping on the motorway, but again I can offer no sources.

Mmmm spanish warmth

SocialLondone...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:01 - 15 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to make sure there is no issue I'll just try not to get pulled over Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks for your help though, good to have another head thinking!

Will let you know what happens.

smallfrowne wrote:
Ah right that was handy then. I did find this too https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving-licence/driving-licence-recognition-validity/index_en.htm

Conflicting information on both tabs. On the "I'm living in another EU country" tab you get:
Quote:
Provisional or temporary licences, international driving permits (or any other certificates issued in your home country) may not be recognised in other EU countries.

On the "I'm a tourist tab" you get:
Quote:
Before you go, make sure your driving licence has not expired.
You cannot drive to another country on just a provisional licence or certificate .

So straight forward. Have fun! Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine, at least it'll be warm.

Also you don't need the breathalysers in France, well technically you do, but there is no fine for not complying, or something on them lines. But don't listen to me I'm just another contradiction on the internet.

Double also I think the high viz is just for stopping on the motorway, but again I can offer no sources.

Mmmm spanish warmth

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:40 - 15 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with the trip pal and I hope it all goes well for you, with regards to the numb bum, have you tried an Airhawk seat at all? might help relieve it a little. it does feel a little weird and tbh I couldn't get on with it much but it might help. Bit late notice really for you to get anything recommended to you though lol.

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:47 - 15 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there another law about reflective stickers on your lid?
Good luck though, couldn't imagine 100 miles on a125, let alone 1000!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1