Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Newcastle to Milan. 36 hours on a Street Glide - Tips?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Stuckmojo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:58 - 06 Jun 2016    Post subject: Newcastle to Milan. 36 hours on a Street Glide - Tips? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, long time lurker.

it's time for me to have a 1-way ride (until next month) to the Lake Como from Newcastle on my 2014 Street Glide.

plan is to leave NCL at around 4.30 AM. Tunnel at Dover at 12 (should leave plenty of time to get there) and stop overnight in the Reims/Metz area. (Haven't decided where yet).

Next day, down through Switzerland (Basel, then Zurich then across Chiavenna).

Riding time should be around 18/20 hr (maybe less). I'll cruise around at the speed limits so unless I encounter traffic/roadworks, it should work out fine with a 20 min break every 2/3 hours (tank mileage should easily give 250m).

Any obvious suggestions?

Bike is good to go. Have insurance, breakdown cover etc.

I'm most interested in which route and where to stop overnight. Do you have any suggestions and past experience to share so that I don't make an idiot of myself or get stuck in a crap town for the night after riding boring roads?

Thanks For Reading

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 06 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly doable. Dodger in 2008 managed Nice to Liverpool 1800km in ONE night.

Newcastle to Milan is about 1600km.

Northern France is boring and there's not really much to do but simply grind through it. My suggestion would be venture into the Alps. This will increase your distance a fair bit but the roads will be bendier.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

herulach
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 06 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven it before (or something similar) but was more focussed on time than fun, so can't recommend any good roads. Although I will agree that (at least as far as driving goes) northern france is pap.

Also, inB4 assless chaps, list of chrome polishers in france posts etc.

Stuckmojo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:31 - 06 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both.

No assless chaps here. Wink

i'm thinking of perhaps stretching into northern Germany for the first night and then taking the black forest route.

edit to quote (Nice Liverpool in one night!!! Kudos)

gorillaonabik...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:08 - 07 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reims or Metz are both good. However, if it were me and I was in Metz, I'd get a hotel as close to the centre as possible if you want to have a mooch around, otherwise, the outskirts are as ugly as my divorce. Reason is the Bosch took a disliking to the place a few years back and the outskirts were replaced by 50s and 60s tower blocks. Reims is better but again, I'd go for the Centre.

And if you're lucky and if you time it right, you might get the international tassel fair. Bring your wallet... (leather HD embossed).

Coincidentally I'm probably also doing the same route down to the Black Forest. When are you going?
FZR400 (blown engine), ZXR750 (blown engine), ZX6R (accident), CBR600 which had engine issues after which I learned to change gear..., CBR900, CBR924 (stolen), CB600, CB1300 (everything blew up), BMW K1300GT (written off, hit from rear while stationary), Bandit 1250 for a couple of months, Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (nicked) and somewhere in there, I wrote off a Ducati 748 at Cadwell.

Stuckmojo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:16 - 07 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

gorillaonabike wrote:
Reims or Metz are both good. However, if it were me and I was in Metz, I'd get a hotel as close to the centre as possible if you want to have a mooch around, otherwise, the outskirts are as ugly as my divorce. Reason is the Bosch took a disliking to the place a few years back and the outskirts were replaced by 50s and 60s tower blocks. Reims is better but again, I'd go for the Centre.

And if you're lucky and if you time it right, you might get the international tassel fair. Bring your wallet... (leather HD embossed).

Coincidentally I'm probably also doing the same route down to the Black Forest. When are you going?

Hi, huge thanks for commenting.

Leaving NCL at 4.30 AM on the 23rd of June, so Reims, Metz or now looking at Neunkirchen just across in Germany for an overnight and descend into Itay through Baden-Baden the next day.

Can't wait!

Tassels? Smile

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:45 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you I'd get the Newcastle to Ijmuiden overnight ferry. It's not my favourite boat trip but Newcastle to the channel tunnel isn't exactly a fun journey. Arrive fresh in Holland and put in a decent day on the bike. Just a thought Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 13 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did Ramsau am Dachstein in Austria to Gravesend in one hit. We left at 10am and got to Gravesend at about 9am the following day. Speeds were steady rather than manic. About 755 miles to Calais, then another 55 to Gravesend after the crossing. Next day, 330 miles to Carlisle. I now have honorary shares in Nescafe Laughing And it's not something I'd be particularly inclined to do again, but then, I ain't no spring chicken!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ali in Austria
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 07:24 - 14 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss Motorways require a years Vignette - Purchase at the border.

French and Italian Motorways are tolls.

Belgium and Germany are free (as is the French Motorway north from Calais in to Belgium).

Austrian Motorways require a Vignette - Purchase at the Border (cheapest is around €5,10 for 10 days).

Not a trip I would be keen to do in that time frame but make sure you keep hydrated.

Border checks on motorways are now in force in many countries and although they are for traffic in the opposite direction, large queues combined with Rubber Neckers can cause delays on your route.

If stopping overnight in France, check to see what football matches might effect your choice of destination Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 14 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive out to Slovenia every year and have done a route through France once. Boring, with less places to stop than German autobahns.
I prefer to go east from Calais into Belgium and then all the way down through Germany and Austria. That route would pretty much work for you as far as I can see on Google maps.
In a car I tend to manage 3 hours at a time before I need a loo break and to stretch the legs / coffee / snack etc.
For overnights I make a list of cheap hotels (online research) along the route and then when it gets to evening I see how far I've got, work out where the next ones along the route are and give them a call to check price / availability.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1