125ccm motorbike for long-travel journey

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

vlastimilfise...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:05 - 18 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpineandy wrote:
1) You are 21 and in the Cech Rep. I think CZ has the same motorbike rules as the UK (being an EEC country).
Do you have a full motorcycle license for a 125cc bike or are you still on 'learner' plates?
If you still use learner plates then you will have problems in some countries that require a full license.
They won't let you into their country with a motorbike but without the correct license and insurance (although some insist you buy their insurance as well).

2) What countries do you intend to travel through/to?

3) You really need to learn about engines. If you plan to travel long distances then you will probably have real problems with big expense if you know nothing about them.

4) if you have (or can get) a full A2 license then a 250cc will be much easier to use for long distances.

I have full A1 license from my 16. I can travel world on 125ccm, no problem.

To 3) - Yes, I need take a look on that before I will leave my country, that's true!

To 4) - I don't know why, but I'm not interest for more stronger bikes. I can upgrade my license easily and cheap, but... which bike up to 35kw (just one limitation for A2 license) is good with budget like me? (max. 2K GBP)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:20 - 18 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlastimilfiser wrote:
but... which bike up to 35kw (just one limitation for A2 license) is good with budget like me? (max. 2K GBP)

To ride to Timbuktoo via Durka-Durkastan?

Suzuki DR350 (25kW)

Yamaha XT225 (15kW)

Alpineandy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 18 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlastimilfiser wrote:
which bike up to 35kw (just one limitation for A2 license) is good with budget like me? (max. 2K GBP)

I don't know the prices of bikes in CZ but I'd investigate a Honda XL250, XR250 or CRF250 (and their Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki equivalents).

If you are only riding on tarmac/sealed roads then a bigger (non-off road) bike would work even better (less stress on the motor).

250s aren't much heavier but the extra torque is a real benefit after a long day riding, especially if you have luggage.
Also on the days you need to do a distance (for visa or whatever reason) you'll soon get annoyed with a screaming 125 and having to change down a gear for every single little hill (with luggage).

vlastimilfise...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:47 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Finally! Reply with quote

Hey guys, again!

So, thanks for all of your tips and recommendations! Finally, I can say I know which bike I will buy soon.

Is it: Yamaha YBR 125!

I skipped the higher cubature, I love 125ccm engines. And the final decision was based on the experience of people which are on the way around a world with YBR125. And also the engine is really strong and support is all around the world.

So. Now I continue on the planning of the trip. We also started with a website where will be all info about this crazy idea.

So, all tips are welcome. If you know about some good bags/boxes for the Yamaha YBR125, keep post link here and I will be really happy to take a look which one is really good.

More info soon and thanks for all your support and information!
Vlastimil

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:23 - 26 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to luggage, I'd be tempted to fit racks you can strap random bags/spare tyres/fuel cans/water containers to.

Intelligently designed, they will act as crash protectors and will aid picking the bike back up when you fall off.

I'd even suggest taking the standard seat unit off and replacing it with a single, very comfortable seat and have everything behind it as racking.

When I did my tour of Britain, I fitted racks and a wooden shelf on the back of the bike. This proved very useful as a table during stop-offs. The ammo tin for secure storage of tools and spares and as a base to "build" the luggage round. The little aluminium shelf at the front of the left hand rack is for the tent.
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/rbr/DSCN0911.png

Luggaged up:
https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/stinkwheel/rbr/13a.png

EDIT:

Thinking further. If I were outfitting a YBR 125 for world touring, I'd buy a cheap second hand seat unit off ebay. I'd strip it to the base and make a new riders seat using high quality foam, possibly with a built-in gel pad and cover it with cordura or heavy duty nylon. I'd then put a sheepskin over the top. SHeepskin saddle covers are fantastic if you're doing serious miles.

I'd then fit some sort of rack or shelf to the rear portion of the seat base. Or depending on how it attaches, cut the pillion part off altogether and attach my luggage system to the subframe directly.

Maybe even a low-profile lockable box in place of the pillion seat to keep valuables or tools in? One you can still stack stuff on top of.

dansay13
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:58 - 03 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would definitely recommend the XR-125. I've been commuting on it for a year and it's great for longer journeys...will happily plod along at 60 all day and is perfectly comfortable for a taller rider (I'm 6"3).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 275 days between these two posts...
Alia111222 This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:10 - 05 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember that a 125cc air cooled engine will like any engine use some oil and it will typically only hold 1litre of oil. I'd take lots of 1litre oil bottles and new filters with you on your trip. Be vigilant about checking the oil levels daily or every 200miles maximum, and make it routine to change the oil and filter every 1000miles.

If the YBR is a fuel injected one, I'd be taking a couple of new fuel filters with me too, so if you do encounter contaminated fuel you can clean the fuel tank and system out and replace the filter to get you going again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2