Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

electric start wont work lexmoto vixen HN-125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

fatsnacka
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:14 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: electric start wont work lexmoto vixen HN-125 Reply with quote

i guys and girls

bike is 2014 plate and the electric start wont work ive changed the switch as looked a bit taty but still no joy i can hear a single click coming from near the battery when the start button is pressed i only just got the bike and was told a new battery had been fitted as this had stopped working
ive also done oil and plug and engine sounds a lot better

still works ok with the kick start

im guessing its the solenoid that i can hear click but wonder if anyone can help or had an idea what the problem was

thanks

in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:32 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: Re: electric start wont work lexmoto vixen HN-125 Reply with quote

Charge the battery and try again.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:34 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing you'll want to do is to spend £5 on a digital multimeter. It's cheaper than any component that you're going to replace through guesswork.

Follow the two wires from the battery +ve terminal. One will lead to an inline fuse. Check that it's not blown, and if in doubt replace it - they will kick and run with a blown fuse.

The fatter wire will go to the starter solenoid. Using an insulated screwdriver, bridge the two large terminals. It will spark and may spot-weld itself to the terminals, so be ready to prise it loose.

If the starter spins when you do that then it's likely that the solenoid is bad, or you've got a bad connection to it from the starter button (and you go to your multimeter)

If it doesn't spin then the starter is hosed (unlikely), you've got a problem in the connection between the solenoid and the starter (switch to multimeter), or your battery is flat (switch to multimeter).

A regularly used battery takes some killing. I'd wonder why yours was changed (if it was). Have a look at the battery: how's the electrolyte level in each cell?

fatsnacka
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:50 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was told the battery was new when i got the bike 2 weeks ago but its been in the garage i haven't had it out yet i will try these things

thanks for your time guys
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:24 - 29 Feb 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

People will tell you a lot of stuff when they're after your money. Always better to check yourself.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 296 days between these two posts...

kurtis9721
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:51 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: why wont my bike start Reply with quote

i have had a lexmoto vixen for a year now and it was had a few problems with it, iv had to up put a new coil pack on a new spark plug and now it just wont start. even with the new parts on it the spark is still low and dont think its a fuel problem, petrol runs fine had the carb off and nothing wrong with that. it wont start by the eletric start button but if you try to kick it over fires for a second then die and when you try to put a bit of revs on aswell it dies to, iv tryed useing the chock but not haveing any luck.

any help [/quote]

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:00 - 22 Dec 2016    Post subject: Re: why wont my bike start Reply with quote

kurtis9721 wrote:
iv had to up put a new coil pack on

Why? (Also, "pack"?)

kurtis9721 wrote:
a new spark plug

Why?

I mean, what diagnosis did you to do identify that those parts were at fault?

kurtis9721 wrote:
it wont start by the eletric start button but if you try to kick it over fires for a second

How's your battery? What's the voltage reading? And as above, have you checked the electrolyte level in the cells?

kurtis9721 wrote:
iv tryed useing the chock but not haveing any luck.

Are you mis-using it? I ask because I plum forgot which way the choke worked once after a few weeks layoff, and was sweating and swearing for a good half hour before I realised that I'd been trying to start it with the choke fully off rather than fully on.

If it's firing at all then it's probably not the side-stand cut-out switch, but it's worth a look. There's a connector block placed right under the engine in a prime spot to corrode.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 125 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1