Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Exhaust paint - how many cans?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

FlightRisk
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 14 Mar 2016    Post subject: Exhaust paint - how many cans? Reply with quote

So a few months ago (September-ish) I finally got around to painting my rusting exhaust. Took it off, wire-brushed it, sanded it, treated it with Kurust and sprayed it with VHT.

The silencer still looks ok but the downpipes are rusted to shit. I think my mistake was I only used one can on the whole thing.

How many cans should a header + silencer take?
____________________
Honda CB500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nitrosurf
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 18 Jun 2010
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:27 - 14 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just undergone the same process myself, using what was supposedly a good quality paint (one of the big cans, 750ml or a litre, I can't remember). I prepped the exhaust well (at last I thought I did) and was really chuffed with the results initially. I left it dry overnight and let it 'cure' at idling temperature on the bike after that. Two weeks and rust started poking through already... In my case I'm thinking that although my exhaust isn't 'rotten', it may well be that the rust has bitten deeper than I realised. I think probably in this situation more paint on top would just delay the inevitable slightly.
I think preparation should have included a good soaking in chemical rust eater after it was lapped and rubbed down, to really get rid of the orange stuff...

My solution is to put up with the minging exhaust and save up for a Motad!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:50 - 14 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, in my experience exhaust paint never seems to last long so don't worry about it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 207 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.04 Sec - Server Load: 0.5 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 35.23 Kb