Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Knee pain after starting biking again after 8 years

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fifteen15
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 26 Aug 2016    Post subject: Knee pain after starting biking again after 8 years Reply with quote

I landed in the Netherlands a couple of weeks ago. Their main transport are bicycles and public transport, so I pretty much ride everywhere now. It's about a 1 hour 30 minute bike ride from my apartment to the city which I do most days - and I love it. However, the first day I had a sharp pain in the joint of my right knee. When riding with my hand on my knee, I can feel vibrations, almost like the joints are grating together. This pain got progressively worse over 7 or so days until I couldn't bike anymore.

The last time I rode a bicycle was about 8 years ago and I never had this problem. Is it just a case of riding too far too soon having not ridden for so long?

I'm taking the bus/train more now and using a knee compression sleeve which I just bought today. I want to get back on the bike because the weather is perfect, the countryside is amazing, and I forgot how much I love biking.

Any advice (other than moving closer to the city)?

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 26 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build up the load you're putting on it slowly over a few weeks.

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 29 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into Glucosamine Sulphate.

How tight are your hamstrings? Can you touch your toes? Consider stretching more before rides, also experiment by ever so slightly lowering your saddle height by a cm or so.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:22 - 29 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seat height is correct?

Try moving the saddle forwards a bit.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:40 - 30 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a bike that's the right size and make sure it's adjusted properly, also get a road bike, they are so light it would be difficult for them to hurt your knees as they don't need much power to get going.

Duffman
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:50 - 30 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saddle too low? At the bottom stroke your leg should be almost straight but not locked out.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 30 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
...also get a road bike, they are so light it would be difficult for them to hurt your knees as they don't need much power to get going.

Is the wrong answer. I have been MTBing for ages, never a twinge. I recently bought a second hand road bike (correct size) that weighs nothing compared to my boat anchor MTB. All was well until I fitted a new saddle (measured-up and fitted by a bike shop). I am now recovering slowly from some kind of tendonitis (possibly hamstring or calf) with pain behind the knee brought on by my lightweight road bike. A few mm can make a big difference; it's not the weight that does you, it's the angles.

Fifteen15
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 31 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up getting a road bike. What used to take me 1 hour 30 minutes on a Dutch city bike took me 50 minutes on the road bike. The knee pain has almost completely gone, so I'm guessing the other bike didn't fit me very well. However the knee pain has been replaced with ass pain. The saddle is like sitting on a plank of wood, so I've ordered a new saddle from Amazon for a tenner.

I had an amazing ride yesterday, the first time I had ridden a road bike. I couldn't stop grinning - I was buzzing for hours after I got home too. It reminded me of my first ride on my old SV after passing my test a few years ago.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 211 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1