Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Honda CG125 front sprocket shim?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

scotto75
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 13 Mar 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:56 - 13 Mar 2016    Post subject: Honda CG125 front sprocket shim? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm currently attempting to get a '88 CG125 BR-J up together for an MOT. I haven't used it before, so have been encountering a few strange oddities when stripping things and rebuilding.

I removed the front sprocket to fit a new one, and when I cleaned the huge amount of sludge and gunk off I found this washer/shim had been stuck to the inside of the sprocket.

https://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad355/scottfury/IMG_7644.jpg

I've now come to refit the new front sprocket, but can see that the internal diameter of the shim is too big for the splined shaft. It doesn't fit basically.

https://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad355/scottfury/IMG_7646.jpg

Having looked at the exploded diagram in the Haynes, I can't see a washer or shim that is supposed to be fitted onto the shaft before the sprocket. It shows only the sprocket being fitted onto the shaft, secured by the locking plate with two bolts.

Am I missing something? If this isn't meant to be there, is there a reason why the previous owner has stuck this oversized washer between the case and the sprocket? The sprocket does move slightly on the shaft after the locking plate has been fitted. How much play should there be, and could this washer be used as a shim to keep the sprocket from moving too close to the case?

I've got a new chain but haven't fitted it yet as I have the rear wheel in bits. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Oct 2015
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:21 - 14 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the shim is a bodge.

Yes the sprocket is baggy on the splines, the chain tension stops it slopping around.
____________________
Be a REAL MAN!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

scotto75
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 13 Mar 2016
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:27 - 14 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
Yes the shim is a bodge.

Yes the sprocket is baggy on the splines, the chain tension stops it slopping around.


I thought as much. I'll ditch the shim and see what happens when the rear wheel and chain's on.

Thanks for the quick reply!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ed Case
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 15 Mar 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically Honda the front sprockets are sloppy on the g/box output shaft, doesn't seem to harm anything. You can damn' near throw one onto that shaft from the other side of the street !.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 207 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.22 - MySQL Queries: 14 - Page Size: 40.01 Kb