Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Write Up & Advise: First Track Day at Mallory 03/04/16

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:46 - 04 Apr 2016    Post subject: Write Up & Advise: First Track Day at Mallory 03/04/16 Reply with quote

I did my first track day at Mallory yesterday with No Limits and wow, it's as good as I hoped it'd be, here's my experience in writing with advise to suit...

I ended up taking my GSXR 600 and not the Blade. I was advised it'd be better suited for such a small track, coupled with the fact I wouldn't care as much if I crashed the GSXR + I had Supercorsa's available to fit to the GSXR whereas the Blade had BT023's on, it was a no brainer.

I started off in Novices but after a few sessions I was pulled in by 'Krazy Ken' a No Limits instructor who moved me into Inter's after lunch. I think Novice is a waste of time and no were near as fun if you ride at a fast pace, I regret not booking into Inters originally and I'd advise anyone who's got a bit of poke to them to book straight into Inters.

It was my first track day so my advise & review of Mallory won't be the best probably, but here it is anyway Smile :

Expenses
Track day £115 - Booked through No Limits, no complaints.
Fuel £35 - I went through roughly a tank and a half. One almost full tank and two jerry cans did me for the day with fuel left over.
Tyres £60 - I ran Supercorsa SC2 race scrubs that had a fair bit of life in them, but by the end of the day the right side was completely worn down. Although a friend running Power 3's, his tyres didn't look too badly worn down after the day.
Van Hire - £60 - I'd recommend you take a van. A fair few people crashed (I think about 5 yesterday, maybe more). So I wouldn't ride up just in case you can't ride the bike back! It's also not always your fault, somebody actually got hit by another bike yesterday.

Prep'
-I'd strongly recommend tyre warmers, originally I was using my brothers but when I got put into Inter's (same group as him) we could no longer share them, so I had to run cold tyres at the start of the sessions. I gave the tyres 2/3 laps to warm up and then went for it, I had no issues but it was so much nicer when you could just get out there and go for it.
-Bring a tyre pump and pressure gauge to put your tyre PSI down. I had mine at 32 front, 30 rear on SC2 Supercorsa's, they felt fine.
-Bring 2/3 Jerry cans with you filled with fuel, you will need to refuel at some point in the day.
-If you have a loud can, bring your standard or a quieter can if possible. The amount of people failing the noise testing was more than i'd expected. Although at Mallory there is a guy who sells exhaust wadding and baffles (along with tyres and a tyre fitting service). £10 to wadd your exhaust and I think the baffles were a similar price too.
-Get there early and try and get a spot in the paddocks. The paddocks at Mallory had a power supply and you're closer to the starting point. Also being there early allows you to sign on early, the queue for signing on got big and cramped!
-Bring some fold away seats, you're waiting 40 minute's in between sessions, why not do it in comfort?

First Time on Track:
It's a different ball game to road riding, it's so much better! Anyone who loves to push it on the road, get on a track. It's so so much better than fast road riding.
There's no worry of junctions, cars, crap road surfaces, etc etc, all those little worries in the back of your head no longer exist and it allows you to go quicker comfortably.
Another massive benefit I found on track, is that it's so wide that you can afford to push it a bit more and go wide without worrying, the track is wide enough to allow you go off line and most the time you'll discover you didn't even go wide and that you can actually get out the corner faster and still maintain that race line, so you learn where your limits really lye.

Mallory as a Track:
Mallory is a great track, the only corner I disliked was Devils Elbow. It's a cambered left hand bend and my bike twitched a fair few times throughout the day. I'd recommend you don't push it too much on that corner as it's a bit twitchy until you're used to it. It's about 1.3 miles long and it's a great track on the whole in my opinion even with sketchiness of Devils Elbow. I'm sure there's better tracks out there, but as a first intro' to track's, it was great! Very easy to remember and because it's so short and you're back at the same corner a minute later, it so easy to perfect and master the corners and correct any mistakes you made on your previous lap.
It has a cafe, toilets, photographer, power supply (if you get in the paddocks), suspension setup, fuel, tyre sales, tyre changing and exhaust baffling available to buy whilst there. I'd say it was very well facilitated.

Pictures (and a video hopefully) to follow shortly Thumbs Up

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 04 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one dude, I expect to see in a years time you posting up a post saying you want to get into racing, as this is SO addictive.

Mallory is a great circuit, and as you found out a great intro track due to the number of bends to learn, and awesome when you get quick too.

Looking forward to seeing the pics and vids. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 04 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool write up.

I disagree about warmers personally. If you're running a road bike, there's really no need, give them a lap or two then you can get on it properly. Thumbs Up

If you have a track bike, well, you've trailered it there, so you may as well get some warmers to lob in the trailer/car/van. It's the cost of 1 track day usually.

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 05 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e4SXUE2Vas&feature=youtu.be

2:40 onwards is when my tyres have warmed up and I'm going for it and after 5:00 I'm out of site. I don't think I've done bad for a first track day! (I'm in front of the bike who's recording)

Photos are out today as well, going to check the photographers website later. I'm on the black/silver K3 GSXR in red and white leathers and a red and white helmet.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:59 - 05 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you enjoyed it mate.

FWIW I haven't got warmers, never run them so don't know the direct difference but I never had issues with road tyres and coldness. My SV was running rock hard Diablos from years ago and seemed fine.

Novice was fun after getting a feel for the track, I booked inters the following time. Novice was hilarious at the end as you shoot past a group of 7 people on a 180 degree corner Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 05 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love mallory but 2 points I'd disagree with.

# tyre warmers - absolutely no use on a trackday. You're not hairing it right out of the gate or going for lap times so you can afford to warm up your tyres on track. Also, at most trackdays you'll end up taking them off, going to line up, and hanging around for 5mins whilst people sod about and by the time you get out your tyres are cold anyway.

This also presumes you have access to power and/or a genny.

Waste of effort on a trackday imo. Mine don't even come out of the van apart from on race days.

# 'so easy to perfect and master the corners' Not on your life! Easy to learn yes, easy to master? Not a chance. It's a short track which is great for newbies but one little error and you've ruined your whole lap. Been to that track more times than I can remember both trackdays and racing and I've no where near mastered it.. can keep up with the big boys round gerrards though which makes me happy Very Happy

other than that, pretty nice guide/write up Smile

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 05 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the tyre warmers... I agree they're not a necessity, but for me it was so frustrating having to take it easy the first few laps instead of having fun and caning it right from the get go, I had to restrict myself which wasn't fun, because you go to a track to go all out. For the sake of £100, I think they're worth the investment personally if I'm going to continue to track ride.

As for mastering the corners, I mean in the sense of getting my line right and speed as fast I comfortably could take them at. No doubt they can be taken faster, that goes without saying, but I felt like I'd personally mastered them at my own level and I didn't go round that corner again thinking 'damn I could've done that better today'. By the end of the day I was taking most corners (accept for Devils Elbow) as fast I could within my comfort zone and I have no doubt that i'll get progressively quicker over the years as my skills and confidence grows.

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 05 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few photo's from Mallory, wish he'd got some better shots and the bike was cleaner lol
https://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy178/AzAndBikes/mallory.4_zpsgnlpvnqm.png
https://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy178/AzAndBikes/mallory.1_zpsssgvbniy.png
https://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy178/AzAndBikes/mallory.3_zpstwxmroh5.png
https://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy178/AzAndBikes/mallory.2_zpsxuyzkwx5.png

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 05 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully booking on for Cadwell in May (probably looking to do the No Limits event on 7/5/16) and then plan to do Mallory again around August and that'll probably be me done for the year. Any advise for Cadwell?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:42 - 05 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no tyres warmers you can get to the front of the queue early which often gets you another lap.

If there's power, I will use mine however.

I suggest you try some others and still see if you thin Mallory is 'great' Smile.
Also, maybe get some practice on the road hanging off towards the corner, not away from it Razz.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 05 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Also, maybe get some practice on the road hanging off towards the corner, not away from it Razz.

Shots fired!

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/64566347.jpg

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 05 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:

Yeah I do have a habit of doing that. Tipping the bike in and staying up right or only leaning off the bike a bit. In time I'm sure I'll get there, but for now it feels fine and it's not slowing me down or preventing me from knee scraping on the road or on track atm Smile

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 05 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Az wrote:

Yeah I do have a habit of doing that. Tipping the bike in and staying up right or only leaning off the bike a bit. In time I'm sure I'll get there, but for now it feels fine and it's not slowing me down or preventing me from knee scraping on the road or on track atm Smile

A word of warning with that.. a) you're crossed up and probably aren't all that comfortable on the bike mid-corner I'd imagine and b) you're leaning the bike far more than needed to achieve the same effect. Probably why you find devil's elbow so daunting... you can quickly run over the edge of the tyre and either lose traction or come into a corner and find you have no more lean to make it.

Lean down into the corner with your back parallel with the bike 'kissing' the inside mirror as it were... it's a good habit to get into, highly suggest trying it on your next outing Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:55 - 06 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do look really crossed over. I've seen you ride on the road before but never noticed that so yeah...I reckon you were worried about smashing the bike up Wink

This was my first real trackday and nearer the end of the day I felt far more comfortable.

https://rs1291.pbsrc.com/albums/b545/paddynewman/LHP_4765_1445_zps22a082ca.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

And yes...I too was not wanting to drop the bike Laughing there are always going to be faster better riders so don't give a damn if you are being overtaken. Ride to your ability. If you do brands and my bike is fixed ill do that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 06 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Az wrote:
Any advise for Cadwell?

Take your time learning it, it's hard to get right, but when you do, it's the best track......

https://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r94/Neileng/LLX9RLh_zpsmj1xcp0t.jpg

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:10 - 06 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I've only been to Mallory and Cadwell but Cadwell is a lot of fun, plenty to learn. I've stillllll not fixed my bike since I crashed there last year but I'm very tempted to book that same day if there's any space left - no limits guys where great, especially the cod father. He was going to lend me some gloves when mine were nicked.

Oh, and like you mentioned, I think I'd hire a van. I rode it home sans fairing (most went in the bin Sad ) and twisted forks (still twisted), so I must sort it out this week and get another track day booked - it's too much fun.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 06 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

smallfrowne wrote:
He was going to lend me some gloves when mine were nicked.

Someone nicked your gloves at a trackday??? Shocked

smallfrowne
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:49 - 06 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i blame myself for being pre-occupied trying to get the bike in a steady shape for going home on, they probably just looked like a forgotten pair laying around whilst I did a little testing lap of the parking area. Luckily I'd taken a spare (warm) pair with me. Cadwell Park were pretty good about it too, they rang me back a few weeks later when they thought someone had handed them in, turned out to be someone else's though. Also they would of apparently let me keep the bike in a bit of a shed for a few days if I'd needed to arrange a van/trailer.

Also no novice or intermediate group places left on the 7th Sad. Might go for the 6th if I can get it off work.

Jiving Joe
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 07 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up Thumbs Up

Booked my first track day 25/04 at Donnington park

A bit worried about the 98db limit

Full length Akrapovic slip on (E marked) with baffle, what you guys reckon ? or put the stock back on ? Confused

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 07 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say for sure, but if this helps, had Micron slip ons on a 08 R1 and it ran 96DB without baffle.

Does your bike have a cat on it?

If you're unsure just chuck the standard one on it if you're riding up, otherwise take the spare with you. OR, chuck the standard can in a rucksack with you if you want the sound and extra couple of BHP.

Az
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 07 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies and feedback.

I'll aim to work on body positioning on the next track day and looks like Cadwell isn't an option any more for 7th May due to inter's being fully booked.

Has anyone done an Evening Track Day? How are they? Looks like a steal for £45!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:03 - 07 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say that it's much better to practice on the road (from personal experience too). On the track you've paid a lot of money for your track time and have a lot of things to concentrate on.
This tends to mean that when you get to trickier situations, your body position tends to go out of the window.

If you practice on the road, you can get it so that it's second nature on track. I would hang off all over the place - including going into the work car park with the bike pretty much vertical.

Scythe
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:02 - 07 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiving Joe wrote:
Great write up Thumbs Up

Booked my first track day 25/04 at Donnington park

A bit worried about the 98db limit

Full length Akrapovic slip on (E marked) with baffle, what you guys reckon ? or put the stock back on ? Confused

I did a 98dB day at Donnington on Monday. Plenty of B1H's and C1H's with aftermarket exhausts on, as long as your baffle is in you'll be fine.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:06 - 07 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Cadwell: if you thought Mallory was good; "You aint seen nothin' yet, kid!" A lot more involving and a brilliant track. More technical corners, more variation and just 'more' generally.
Definitely one to take it easy to start with a and get used to where you're going. Can have very different conditions under the trees on the mountain to the fast back look.

monkeybiker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 07 Apr 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing silverstone on monday and totally forgot about bringing a tyre pump, so that's on the list of stuffs to take with me, along with fuel cans and some chairs Thumbs Up

Also I don't feel I would want tyre warmers as I prefer to take the first couple laps steady to get a feel for it. If I just go fast from the start I end up making mistakes.

I've not done a trackday for many many years but I found it's best to go steady and let the speed build up gradually. It should never feel rushed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2