Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Direct Access!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 11:54 - 14 Mar 2002    Post subject: Direct Access!! Reply with quote

Happy Birthday to me!

21 today!

FINALLY DAS legal !! Laughing Very Happy Laughing

~ Anyone heard from Mole, to see how he got on in his test?!?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie

PostPosted: 13:01 - 14 Mar 2002    Post subject: woohooo :o) Reply with quote

happy birthday viper!
i remember when u said u had like 20 days till your birthday, damn that went quick Smile

so... when is the dreaded das planned for then?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:21 - 14 Mar 2002    Post subject: Direct Access!! Reply with quote

Happy birthday...
have a https://www.muller-godschalk.com/msnimages/(B).gif

Are you going to do the DAS in London or reading... I could imagine it being quite nasty in London.

TJ NSR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 14 Mar 2002    Post subject: Bday Reply with quote

Happy birthday viper, hope u got some nice pressies

PostPosted: 21:16 - 14 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did my DAS way back in 98 on a Kawasaki ER5, It was really great fun, and in 4 days i went from CBT to test passed, all on the ER5 which i thought was a great bike then, and it still is a good machine except for its looks. The funniest moment for me was about 20min after first getting on the ER5. I was going slow round a few bends as the roads were wet, then i saw a 40mph sign, so i opened the throttle slightly and there was nothing, i wasnt feelin too impressed with the power of a 500 i remember thinking, as i changed down a gear and tried to accelerate. It got up to 40 ok, but as soon as i had just negotiated a roundabout, it spluttered and stopped. Yes i ran out of fuel. After switching onto reserve, i was off, and the next time i tried changing down and opening it up to overtake a car i nearly shit myself!
You must be logged in to rate posts

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 23:19 - 14 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening all! ('slightly' intoxicated - please excuse bad spelling!)

Well, i suppose i should tell you when my DAS is, so you can console me when i fail! .....its next Monday(25th) , but even with a years riding experience behind me, i'm not too confident.
I've got a bad feeling about this u-turn thing. And the 'walking with the bike' thing, as for an little weak and feable person, thats not easy!! Never mind! i'll wait and see!

The main reason a re-take will be a pain in the arse is coz it will cost another £100!! Crying or Very sad
But i will definately be taking it in Reading, as i know most of the roads very well! - which helps a bit.

And b'day pressies have nicely got me a new pair of leather trousers!!!
big smiles all round!! Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 23:35 - 14 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Burfday and Good Luck for your DAS!

...just a question though (once you've recovered Razz )...did you book your DAS/test well in advance?...I remember that I had to book my car test about 6 weeks early (about 4 years ago though...)...is the bike test the same?

Tin

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:57 - 15 Mar 2002    Post subject: DAS in reading Reply with quote

If you're doing it with Lightning, they don't do their Motorbike tests in Reading, or at least they didn't when I did mine... They reckoned that the only motorbike tester in Reading had a really big chip on his shoulder.

As far as U turns go, if you practice for an hour or two on your NSR you shouldn't have any troubles on a GS / CB... though when I did my CBT they told me to use the back brake then a different instructor on my DAS told me not to touch it.

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 19:26 - 15 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually booked my direct access back in January. That way i was eligible to get the 'winter' discount, that alot of places do.
Therefore managed to save myself about £100....or so they said!!

But i'm not too sure of on the usual bike test waiting times. Although its definately not as long as 6wks like for the car test.

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 01:01 - 16 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing my test with Lightning.
So where abouts did they take you to do yours G?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:50 - 16 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time was in Aldershot, the second, I'm pretty sure was in Abingdon, if not somewhere around there. I think they just go to where ever has got free slots.
Neither of them had that bad traffic.

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 00:37 - 24 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my DAS training today, and i have been lucky enough to get a test booked in my home town in Reading , on familiar roads.

....But apparently last Sunday, one of the students had their test booked for in Swansea, despite them training for the test in Reading, !!!

[And for those of you not in the 'know', this is a journey of at least 150miles!!] ....~long journey back if U failed!!~

So all the students for that day, took a L O N G ride out to Swansea. But bearing in mind that learners cant do motorways, this must have taken A G E S!!
I would love to know HOW on earth they allocate the test location, as this seems MAD!! Confused

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 00:48 - 24 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah... and an update on how my training was......

...ummmm, well....... Confused

Lets just say... ~not entirely confident~ .... Confused

ummm, 500's tommorrow....
........ Confused ........ :o ...... Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 02:35 - 24 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck.... If you're still not feeling confident tommorow it's probably worth going out riding for an hour or two afterwards to practice... they always seem to try and finish early if they can.
btw. went past there at about 4, thought I saw you, but I couldn't pay too much attention 'cos there was a dodgy boyracer infront of me Rolling Eyes

Which instructer you got?

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 23:31 - 24 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

i couldnt remember the name of my instructor yesterday...he had short brown hair and blue eyes.(!?!) Confused

Today, i had Mark. (Long hair!)

Got there this morning at 9am to find that they had got on of the ignition keys stuck in one of the 500's!!... so i had to go backie on the instructors bike up to Oxford to go an get another bike 4 me to use!!

We stopped off at M&P's (near Oxford) 4 lunch, and there was loads of bikes up there in the cafe, And all the GSX's we doing wheelies down the dual carraige way!! Smile It was great.....until Mr Plod turned up, to sit by the roadside! Evil or Very Mad

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:15 - 25 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remeber I had mark for my CBT.. don't particularly pay attention to the colour of blokes eyes though.

Good luck on your test tommorow 8)

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 19:50 - 25 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I P A S S E D ! ! ! ! !
Thankfuck for that!!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:55 - 25 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrgrats... how many minors (if any)?

GasGas
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 25 Mar 2002    Post subject: well done! Reply with quote

Nice one Viper! Wink no stopping you now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 00:28 - 26 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

A managed to stonk up a grand total of 8 minors!
But i was just relieved i passed! (Although would liked to have beaten my otherhalf who only got 3minors on his test...jammy git!)

Was a bit annoyed though, as the instructor said i accumulated most of them in the last couple of minutes!! Ha Ha! Nevermind!! Rolling Eyes Very Happy

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 00:34 - 26 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too bad. Well, I got 3 majors on my first test! ... Some one I know passed theirs with 14 (I think) minors!

Viper
Get off my bloody bike!

PostPosted: 00:39 - 26 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mole was supposed to have taken his test 2weeks ago....
He has not made an apperance on here since.... Confused

And he has dissappered soon after he promised us all free burgers at BoxHill.....funny that!!! Confused

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 23:12 - 27 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the learner 500's have Tachometers?...I found it very hard to remember what gear I was in on the CG125s, and the lid did a very good job of keeping the noise out...

Also, Viper, did you do your DAS over an intensive period?...and did the examiner follow you in a car, or on a bike?

Cheers,

Tin

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:43 - 27 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *think* the GS did having a tacho, but it makes a lot less difference on a fairly lazy 500 twin... it doesn't matter what gar you are in so much.

forget how far first gear on the GS but it goes upto 60 on my ZX!.. only went faster than that once on the test.. obviously the GS doesn't have that wide ratios though.

TiN
Pocket Tin

PostPosted: 23:51 - 27 Mar 2002    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I only went up to 3rd in my CBT, but we didn't go any faster than 30mph...

Tin
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2