Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Looking for a new tent..any recommendations?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 16:37 - 09 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm after a new tent after the BBQ, I've got the Vango Tempest 200 but can't get on with the lack of headroom.

I like the look of the Vango Ark but it has fibreglass poles, what are they like?

Silver_Fox
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 10 Aug 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I thought the Vango Ark 200+ was excellent. The quality is a definite step up from the red Eurohike tent I linked on the previous page (that I brought to the BBQ). However I couldn't justify the price differential in the end. Vango £130, Eurohike £47.

My only real bone of contention is the Eurohike has a slightly flat porch roof where water can sit if it rains. The Vango has V shaped poles to avoid this. The materials feel slightly better too, but only slightly. In the end it all comes down to price. The Eurohike is still a good tent with a great sized porch for kit (or getting changed)

lingeringstin...
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:02 - 26 Oct 2016    Post subject: intense intents in tents Reply with quote

Was just reviewing this thread and here's a couple of personal findings.

Where you intend to camp makes all the difference. This winter I'll be camping in some wild and wonderful places in the Lake District and into Scotland and what I'm NOT tenting in is the usual rally gear. Roomy dome tents are great for two or three nights in a field of other tents where the bar and food are close by, but if you're out in the sticks you want something sturdier and warmer.

Having experienced random foul weather while camping I have discovered that the best tent I currently have for that sort of thing is a small canvas French army 2-man tent from the 1980's. It's only really big enough to sit up in the middle of it but the ground sheet is really tough and the low profile "A" shape is good in strong winds and lashing sideways rain.

Initially it was a canvas tent with an outer nylon waterproofed flysheet, which was perished when I got it, but I've modified it by painting the canvas with a waterproofing solution (basically silicone dissolved in white spirit and applied with a brush) and I have a couple of silnylon army tarps.

The army tarps weigh very little and are big enough to use as a flysheet and a porch area to hang out and cook in. The tent is very strong and waterproof now and if need be I can use the tarps to totally cover it in a waterproof tarp shell pegged to the ground so it's extra dry and extra windproof in bad weather.

The downside is that this small tent is now VERY heavy and there's really only room for one body and some gear. I tried it once with a camp bed which was very comfortable but it was so cramped I could hardly move so now I just sleep on the floor. I prefer to sleep lightly covered in a warm tent than bundled up in an arctic sleeping bag in a cold tent. Less stuff to carry. Breathing in a frozen tent creates a lot of condensation too.

It's dark and cramped inside but I don't think a roomy dome tent would stand up to harsh conditions and the canvas tent retains heat a lot better. I do have a homemade metal "hotbox" thing that I cook with and serves as a way to heat my tent if needed but that's another story.

It might be small and heavy and cramped but just one frozen night in an unsuitable, thin rally tent is such a misery I don't mind the extra weight and bulk of the French army tent to make sure I'll be comfortable 50 miles from the nearest pub with werewolves, giant spiders and Picts lurking around in the dark.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:58 - 24 Nov 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about one of these?

So simple.....a woman can put it together
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2