BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fibre

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:18 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Businesses quite often use dedicated fibre lines via blown fibre, or they might run a solid 12 or 24 fibre cable which I think it what VM do regardless, but that's mainly for places like datacentres, police stations etc. That's my line of work anyway, but I know feck all about FTTC, we don't even blow fibre to these cabs or really ever go in them, seems to be another team. I did get trained on FTTP initially but I only work on Ethernet provisions now which is quite a bit different. I suspect a random engineer working in a cab won't know much, I get asked alsorts, usually accused of knocking off peoples phone lines or slowing down their Internet, despite working in an underground node at the time Razz

bEN_
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem a few months ago, the street right next to me had fibre enabled months before i did, as my internet was painfully slow i was checking the bt site on a weekly basis, but eventually i got it.

it could be a similar situation for you

Lamp Post Enthusiast

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:34 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the cabinets that provide for the streets around mine and they were enabled November and December 2010.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:58 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move house?

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Move house?

Most realistic option.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brick Wall

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:19 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

(posted using my super fast BT Infinity option 2)

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:50 - 07 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/OurNetwork/Superfast.aspx

Have a click on that - if you put your details on it will tell you *exactly* which exchange you connect to, and if / when fibre services are available.

When we moved house, used this and it told me that there was fibre in the area, but the exchange was full for fibre. Kept checking on a weekly basis and then I got a heads up when Openreach had opened up more availability.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 09 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had fibre fitted in our server room, its fibre into the building.

currently only at 30mb up & down, but on a 100mb carrier no contention etc massive downside is...its pricey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 09 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the rates would be like if I asked for a business standard connection...

R1stu
Shrek!

PostPosted: 10:48 - 09 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Fibre Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
I haven't mentioned it much* but I have cripplingly slow internet speed. I've recently found out that every street around mine has a fibre connection, apart from mine. I've called BT and they've fobbed me off onto a form on their Openreach site, which I've dutifully sent off.

In the mean time I'd like to do some digging. My exchange is Morley, Leeds and I'm fed from cabinet 74. I'd like to find out what other streets are fed from this cabinet, which other cabinets are fibre enabled and hopefully a rough date, to the nearest decade, when I should expect an upgrade.

I wonder if it would be worth making a deal with somebody who lives on the main road, 100 yards from my house and just feeding a CAT5 cable back to my house...

*Only every other post...

PM me your phone number and ill do a check for you on my work system. I work for an ISP.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:55 - 09 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
I wonder what the rates would be like if I asked for a business standard connection...

Think ours is £1400 per month

I know someone who works for talktalk, he was goign on about them rolling out fibre to houses, but its being priced ridiculously cheap like £30 per month, I think its only in York at the moment though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 10 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a reply off openreach, basically saying "No. Not now, not ever."

Redirection of effort now.
-Sent more enquiries asking if there's any chance they'll upgrade the line to ADSL2 instead. If that could bump up the speed to something actually usable I'd be happy. Since there's only me who needs lots of internets I'd be alright with 8mbit.

-4G, although I'd have to watch my usage. EE do this, 32GB download capacity for £28 per month. I think if I kept the torrents fully legit and paid for tv services to the landline I could manage with that.

Can anybody recommend a data monitor that I could use for a while to check my usage?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:31 - 10 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't pay much attention to whatever Openreach told you. It's a case of when you'll get fibre rather than if you get fibre.

You can monitor data usage in Windows by going to the 'Network and Sharing Centre' then clicking the name of the network that you're using.

32gb per month from EE? Laughing Windows tells me that I've used 10gb a day for the last couple of weeks.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 10 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
dydey90 wrote:

Think ours is £1400 per month

I know someone who works for talktalk, he was goign on about them rolling out fibre to houses, but its being priced ridiculously cheap like £30 per month, I think its only in York at the moment though

Presumably with BT at that price?

We switched from BT (£9k/year for 10Mb) to NTE 30Mb on a 100Mb carrier < £6k/year.

Better customer service too.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 10 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You can monitor data usage in Windows by going to the 'Network and Sharing Centre' then clicking the name of the network that you're using.

32gb per month from EE? Laughing Windows tells me that I've used 10gb a day for the last couple of weeks.

I'm guessing that only works if you never switch off your computer though.
I've used 115mb in the last 2 hours with a bit of browsing and playing a steam game offline.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:07 - 10 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errr yeah, pretty sure that it gets restarted when the computer is turned off and back on again. I just put my laptop into standby rather than shutting it down, I can get more detailed bandwidth stats from the router if I want to.

32gb a month would be quite possible but you'd have to be careful to avoid anything bandwidth heavy.

With just a bit of music streaming, occasional tv or film streaming, watching junk on youtube, watching the motogp, looking at a few BCF threads with many hi-res photos in them, etc etc and your 32gb will be gone before you know it. Thumbs Up

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

Presumably with BT at that price?

We switched from BT (£9k/year for 10Mb) to NTE 30Mb on a 100Mb carrier < £6k/year.

Better customer service too.

We are currently with Virgin Media. For a guaranteed service, I've seen quite a few drops at the firewall.....could be the firewall i suppose

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 14 Sep 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy thread revival!

Update on fibre: got the ball rolling, 9-12 months to install and 15-20k in cost. Been told that each house can apply for a £350 voucher from a help scheme, so it's going to be a lot of work to get it done.

In the mean time, this:
https://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4g-home-broadband/details?WT.mc_id=ON_MEC_A_AffWin_Broadband+Genie&WT.tsrc=Affiliate#choosePlanAnchor

Worth a look? Can't find anything cheaper at the moment at 50GB seems like a reasonable allowance. Cost doesn't seem too excessive as I'd be cancelling current broadband and not having to pay line rental.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 97 days between these two posts...

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:38 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42423047

How do I make my demands? 4G router data limit is crippling.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42423047

How do I make my demands? 4G router data limit is crippling.

This looks open to interpretation, they are supposed to supply "a 10mb service" but in reality it will be up to that speed same as all the packages now that say up to 17mb.
We pay for up to 17mb here but it is rarely much above 4mb and often struggles to 2mb.
More annoyiing here is no mobile cover whatsoever never mind 3G/4G
If there was mobile data for the days when ADSL can't manage 2mb it would be a bigger improvement than faster BB.
4mb is usually enough to (for example) watch youtube at 1080p but problems start if someone else is downloading/uploading something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest thing they could do for my street is connect us to the fibre enabled cabinet on the next street, about 120 yards from the current, fibreless cabinet.

I'd imagine that's the easiest thing all round, as I think 17mbit is what you can get from an ADSL2 line, which degrades over distance, so most people with a speed under 10mbit will already be in that bracket.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 18:52 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live within 500ft of the exchange and when I was on ADSL 2+ I could get 22mb out of 24mb maximum.

Took fucking years for it to become available but they finally did it and been on fast fibre for just over 2 years now.

Hopefully you will get it but it could be years, who the fuck knows. Every few weeks I used to keep submitting that "register your interest for fibre in your area" as when a certain number of people say they want it, they will come sooner.

Maybe you could start a petition with your local town to get everyone to register their interest?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:59 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
Every few weeks I used to keep submitting that "register your interest for fibre in your area" as when a certain number of people say they want it, they will come sooner.

With just a small amount of internet detective work researching names, you can also register interest on behalf of all the other houses that would be hooked up to the same exchange cabinet. Whistle

Last edited by Ste on 01:52 - 22 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 21 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Jayy wrote:
Every few weeks I used to keep submitting that "register your interest for fibre in your area" as when a certain number of people say they want it, they will come sooner.

With just a small amount of internet detective work researching names, you can also register interest on behalf of all the other houses that are hooked up to the same exchange. Whistle

The rest of the exchange already has fibre. There's only 42 houses connected to the last fibreless cabinet, they know this and therein lies the problem.

Either way, I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what the crack is.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 117 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3