Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Can this exhaust be salvaged?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheInternet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:37 - 09 May 2016    Post subject: Can this exhaust be salvaged? Reply with quote

My CG125 exhaust has started to leak where it joins the head and as far as I can tell it is likely to be due to corrosion creating a hole. The rest of the exhaust is in good condition.

Can it be repaired or filled in some fashion to eke some more life out of it or is replacement the only option? A new Honda one is ~£100. It seems like there is a chance it just needs a new gasket; I'll probably replace it first just in case but should I add some other exhaust paste too to fill any holes?

Couple of pics, the leak seems to be to the right of the nut in the top picture.

https://s32.postimg.org/etl1arrtd/IMG_20160509_200604.jpg

https://s32.postimg.org/81gu2oyoh/IMG_20160509_200620.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:50 - 09 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only way you'll know is to take it off and have a look.

It'll either be a blown gasket or there will be a hole where the lip is welded to the pipe.

If it's the latter, any patching would be temporary at best. The heat generated from an aircooled engine up there will cook pretty much anything you use.

Plumbers silicone would be your best bet.

About £45-55 for a pattern exhaust on ebay.

TheInternet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 00:31 - 10 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy a new gasket, take it off and have a look then.

Not sure if it is best practice to remove the nuts when the engine is hot to minimise the chance of snapping the studs. Is it recommended to replace the studs?

Unfortunately the later CGs seem (2004 onwards) have a slightly different exhaust and I'm struggling to find a pattern one. That said a lot of those seem to be quite poor quality anyway.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:21 - 10 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use some penetrating oil before you attempt taking the nuts off. Even spray with WD40 and a few gentle knocks with hammer should do the trick. Spray it, knock it with hammer, let it sit, then repeat or attempt taking the nuts off.

To ''unlock'' the nuts, the torque must be a instant impact, not slowly turning the wrench. Side note, use the smallest wrench you have in your set. If you use a big one, you're gonna put too much stress there, as the torque would significantly increase with longer lever.

EDIT: No need to replace the studs, I took the exhaust off many engines and none of them required new studs. It's not like the bolts that hold the head to the engine that stretch once you torque them down. Thumbs Up

TheInternet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:56 - 01 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

All weldy up now. Was about a 5mm x 1mm hole beneath the flange, a new sleeve has been added over the top. The Honda exhaust appears to be double skinned for that section.

Nuts removed painlessly, the bugle was then easy enough to take off without removing any other components.

A new copper crush gasket and it's all smooth again. As smooth as a CG125 can be, at least.

https://s33.postimg.org/yare8t4x7/image.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:39 - 02 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat, thanks for the follow up. It's good to get closure.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:40 - 02 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a similar problem on my blue Deauville - holed on the outer skin and heavy rust. Replaced it this morning with a used header from ebay.de - less than £30 all in. Ebay.de is your friend Cool

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bw55udHldsw/V1BJxdIOrOI/AAAAAAAAFS4/lUfu4PCEQT8_2Jjr4ff6xCmFhWdrexsYACCo/s640/IMG_20160602_143859122_HDR%255B1%255D.jpg

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 02 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Neat, thanks for the follow up. It's good to get closure.

Indeed, it sadly doesn't happen often enough here.
It's a poor state of affairs when even BodyGuard sees it through to the end and others don't.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 257 days between these two posts...

TheInternet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:44 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wretched thing is blowing again, similar location. Worse still the genuine Honda replacement which was available for ~£100 is now ~£180. The question is how much worse is a pattern one (M&P) going to be at £50-£60. Second hand ones on eBay seem to be utter shit as well as overpriced so not an option (at the moment at least).

Anyone with experience of pattern exhausts? My assumption is that they will fit poorly and rust like hell, but I don't fancy spending so much on a cheap bike. I suspect it comes down to how long I expect to keep it for.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheInternet wrote:
The wretched thing is blowing again, similar location. Worse still the genuine Honda replacement which was available for ~£100 is now ~£180. The question is how much worse is a pattern one (M&P) going to be at £50-£60. Second hand ones on eBay seem to be utter shit as well as overpriced so not an option (at the moment at least).

Anyone with experience of pattern exhausts? My assumption is that they will fit poorly and rust like hell, but I don't fancy spending so much on a cheap bike. I suspect it comes down to how long I expect to keep it for.

I bought a pattern exhaust, (down pipe and silencer), when I restored my XL, fit was ok, (I had to elongate the hole for the silencer hanger).
It's been on for nearly three years and there's no more rust than I would have expected from a genuine part.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:03 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slap a ton of exhaust sealent over the affected area and forget about it for another year. I'm speaking from experience and my GPz got through the MOT with an advisory about the exhaust. Who cares, another year on the road and a cheapo bodge fix.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheInternet wrote:
The wretched thing is blowing again, similar location.

That is because they/you used a wrong type of welding for this. You need something that really heats up the whole area.

I would say just replace it, as it will crack again unless properly welded, which costs money and time. Exhausts are the worst for welding, the constant heat cycles combined with vibration and rust will result in cracks no matter what.

And yes, I just agreed with Bodyguard.

TheInternet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:25 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
TheInternet wrote:
The wretched thing is blowing again, similar location.

That is because they/you used a wrong type of welding for this.

Sounds possible. Previously it was a hole where corroded, this time it is a crack further away from the flange.

I've had an offer from someone to braze it in return for a very modest quantity of booze. Worth a go, nothing to lose.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:51 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogeyman wrote:

Alternatively stop being a tight fisted cunt and just buy a new one they hardly cost the earth.

This from the manchild that came in to chat spouting

"wont socket 5 ponds"

The same tight fisted cunt that said..

"If I put a blob of weld on my chain will it hold?" instead of buying a new one.

And the same skip licking prick that welded up his front sprocket.

Pot. Kettle. Black.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheInternet wrote:

You think you have problems, I recently had to shell out £400 for just the downpipes for my CBF500...

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=323430

Oh and Ignore the bogeyman, he's got anger management issues..

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:19 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This from the manchild that came in to chat spouting

"wont socket 5 ponds"

The same tight fisted cunt that said..

"If I put a blob of weld on my chain will it hold?" instead of buying a new one.

And the same skip licking prick that welded up his front sprocket.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

My suggestion was tongue-in-cheek old style "I don't have any fucking money to spare on a replacement so what's the alternative?" Some of us are still skint and using bodge techniques to keep our bikes on the road.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty well any weld up. short of cutting the end off and welding a new one on isn't going to last long.

Maybe get it patched and start budgeting for a pattern part.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

FollowingGhos...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:20 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CG used to rot through in that exact spot regularly.

I got into the habit of gungumming it on a regular basis and that was good enough for most purposes. When it started burbling and sounding bigger than it was, I'd go for another glob of it.

Obviously, not ideal long term but it did the job on a budget.

TheInternet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:24 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheInternet wrote:
the genuine Honda replacement which was available for ~£100 is now ~£180. The question is how much worse is a pattern one (M&P) going to be at £50-£60.

Just to close this off, the £60 pattern one was complete shit in various ways, the proper Honda one that is now on there is as good as you'd expect.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:46 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a good follow through. Thumbs Up

Aside, I'd wonder if unmolested good condition CG125s are likely to be the next "appreciating classics".

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:14 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Aside, I'd wonder if unmolested good condition CG125s are likely to be the next "appreciating classics".

It's the kind of thing the Shoreditch aficionados would buy the very best most original example they could find, in order to bob the rear and rust the tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheInternet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:20 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Ask me in 3 years when Khan forces me to get rid. Could well go the same way as the Honda Cubs and see a doubling in value or more. Alas it would be a doubling of a pittance.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 06 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

It's the kind of thing the Shoreditch aficionados would buy the very best most original example they could find, in order to bob the rear and rust the tank.

I take it you mean this bunch of 24 caret cunts...

https://thebikeshed.cc/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_8570-800x500.jpg

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 267 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2