Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Got me a Ninja

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Got me a Ninja Reply with quote

After selling my CBR600 RR last year and getting my FZ1, to use for daily commuting 2-up and for the odd weekend blast, I fancied a cheap second bike - and after a few months of looking around for a bargain, this came up.

Belonging to UnspeedySam on here, it's a 2001 Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja j2, with 37k on the clocks. A bit tatty around the edges, but solid mechanically (so far, ha). Got the train down from London to Southampton yesterday, where he collected me from the station and back to his to do the deal. I believe it was a bargain Thumbs Up

Had a nice hoon back home with little motorway and mostly A roads, where the weather held out nicely and had a fair few dry bends. Nice time to get used to the bike positioning and agility. It's light and got good drive to it! I'm happy it has a nice can on there currently too, it's a lovely sounding Scorpion stainless steel affair, without any branding on. This will stay for now!

It's also got 4 pot Nissin brakes on the front, from a Bandit 1200, and braided lines. Rear is standard with standard brake hose though, maybe upgrade that soon to braided too.

I think it will be nice to have the choice - lazy litre upright comfy bike or sports 600 to be revved hard.

Already ordered for it:

Arrow New light smoke Airblade double bubble screen (not too much a fan of the silver screen currently)

Arrow 8x6 numberplate (slightly smaller than standard, same as what I have on my FZ1 with no trouble in Central London every day)

Arrow Black domed screen bolts (to compliment the screen)

Arrow Kawasaki keyring for keys (obviously)

Arrow Chinky adjustable levers. I've gone for the regular size (not shortys) black levers with green adjusters.

Anyway, pics (#nofilter). Gave it a little clean today and removed the top-box Laughing

About to leave with the new steed:

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/3EEFEF56-C0A3-4AA5-86BD-319E8A71A309_zpsiq4qzlbd.jpg

And home, an hour and a half later. Late, no flash = grainy photo.

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/4A0C01B0-CEC0-4B12-AFE3-BF921614802F_zpsfr9vxknc.jpg

Today:

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/F5397177-BC40-46A3-A3A1-A25D8ABBC1D2_zpsktwxg9ba.jpg

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/ED598D6D-9FB2-4B47-BA25-7D3058CD7192_zpsbhdozcr6.jpg

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/A4EE277B-D15B-4488-87F2-B062C92ED43C_zpsdz9ojxgv.jpg

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/7095DE27-CFDA-4C21-9CE6-2DD7F06A5A44_zpsoif4xl2g.jpg

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/507A2037-A547-4828-84AC-B537A382CC6C_zpsufpnu1kh.jpg

https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/doovydoo/F40B4555-C2A1-4C65-BAE8-3A00A457BC6B_zpswnvun9mg.jpg

Carvel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just noticed the two tone hugger......oh god Sick

Paint it black plz thnx

Matt B: I can deal with crushed nuts to beat Ollie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battlax T30, oh dear. Get them binned and order a set of 2CTs

Needs a stubby un-baffled can for maximum obnoxiousness.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, bitches Razz

Hugger will stay as is for now. Front tyre is actually close to wear limit, so will be replacing soon anyway. Rear has life left. I'll use this opportunity to test your 2CTs you guys rave about!

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:10 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very nice indeed!

I actually like the late 90s colour scheme

Are you going to reveal what you paid for it? There seem to be some proper bargains about in the older 600s!

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get those rear peg hangers off and give them a coat of paint, a rattle can of Vauxhall Platinum from Halfords is a near perfect match.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
Looks very nice indeed!

I actually like the late 90s colour scheme

Are you going to reveal what you paid for it? There seem to be some proper bargains about in the older 600s!

Yes, green is the only colour for a Ninja!

As it's a BCF member, I'll keep the exact figure out of the public view, but it was just a little less than the £1200 it was advertised on Gumtree! Thumbs Up

Matt B wrote:
If you want to get those rear peg hangers off and give them a coat of paint, a rattle can of Vauxhall Platinum from Halfords is a near perfect match.

Cheers. Was thinking that, they are a bit corroded. I could do that for sure Thumbs Up I would have removed them but the wife actually loves the look of the bike and wants to go pillion, so will see what she thinks Laughing

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:23 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballpark is all I was after! Thats a lot of bike for the money!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:32 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green?!?!

Everyone knows blue ones are faster. Razz

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:45 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why sledgehammer?
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pie-Roe wrote:
Why sledgehammer?

It's come in handy a fair bit recently. Used it the other day when changing the rear set on my FZ1, where the bolts quite tight and needed a few taps to get them moving. The top box bolts on this Ninja were also a little bit stuck fast to so needed it again for that. It's got a nice weight! Only a few gentle taps, not hefty whacks.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja is now insured. Cost me £77 to add it on, including admin fee, which lasts up until the end of November Thumbs Up

Now to tax it, then all legal and ready to go!

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the look of them. Bargain price you paid. Do the 2001 ones have a fuel warning light?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, proper bargain Mr. Green

It doesn't have a fuel gauge or fuel warning light (just like my old Hornet), so it's a case of setting a tripmeter (I've been told around 120 - 150 miles to a tank depending on type of riding) and flicking to reserve as and when needed Laughing

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:
Agreed, proper bargain Mr. Green

It doesn't have a fuel gauge or fuel warning light (just like my old Hornet), so it's a case of setting a tripmeter (I've been told around 120 - 150 miles to a tank depending on type of riding) and flicking to reserve as and when needed Laughing

Ah yeah that was it, earlier ones didn't even have a reserve did they?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hoggie21
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:48 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Got me a Ninja Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:
Belonging to UnspeedySam on here, it's a 2001 Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja j2, with 37k on the clocks. A bit tatty around the edges, but solid mechanically (so far, ha). Got the train down from London to Southampton yesterday, where he collected me from the station and back to his to do the deal. I believe it was a bargain Thumbs Up

My previous Ninja, only sold it to UnspeedySam because I knew he would look after it. (My only other post here was the ad). Awesome bike. Good luck with it. Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:54 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fucking fuel warning light isn't worth shit compared to the reassurance of a reserve tap. Modern bikes are really shit in some ways compared to old tech that works really well.

Doovy, is this a temporary replacement for your FZ1 then I take it? And is the FZ going back on the road too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, looks tidy. Try not to throw this one at a Finn.

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really glad you're enjoying it. Very Happy

It's a great bike to ride and has always been well taken care of mechanically even if it does have some cosmetic niggles. Sounds like Doovy is sorting out most of them though which is nice to see.

As far as the fuel tap/fuel light stuff goes. Like a proper bike you have to learn how to lean down and switch it to reserve at speed when it starts conking out. I'm still not sold on anything more advanced than carbs, basic hydraulic brakes and analogue clocks etc.

Some of the proceeds will be going towards this thing that's been sat outside my mate's house for far too long.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/13162239_10155241593483973_1229587221_n.jpg

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, someone buys a Kawaski in the right colour!

Enjoy Thumbs Up

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Got me a Ninja Reply with quote

Top skills Sam and Dave, everyone's a winner! Thumbs Up

Top box on the ground left of picture, sledgey on the ground right of picture. Just how hard was it to get that top box off!

Bike has scrubbed up very well, congrats.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 11 May 2016    Post subject: Re: Got me a Ninja Reply with quote

hoggie21 wrote:
My previous Ninja, only sold it to UnspeedySam because I knew he would look after it. (My only other post here was the ad). Awesome bike. Good luck with it. Thumbs Up

Ahh awesome. Glad to keep it in the BCF family (kinda!) then. Do you have any images of it under your ownership? How was it for you?

stevo as b4 wrote:
Doovy, is this a temporary replacement for your FZ1 then I take it? And is the FZ going back on the road too?

Nope, the FZ1 is all fixed up (bar a few small scuffs) and road-worthy. Already done about 80 miles on it this week (in my sick leave week!) and it's all cleaned up ready for Santa Pod racing on Sunday!

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Nice, looks tidy. Try not to throw this one at a Finn.

Hehe. I'll do my best Twisted Evil

Suntan Sid wrote:
Finally, someone buys a Kawaski in the right colour!

Enjoy Thumbs Up

I do like the blue that these came in, but Kawasaki has to be green Laughing

Pigeon wrote:
Top skills Sam and Dave, everyone's a winner! Thumbs Up

Top box on the ground left of picture, sledgey on the ground right of picture. Just how hard was it to get that top box off!

Bike has scrubbed up very well, congrats.

Thank goodness not that hard, just a few taps needed with some WD40 soaking the bolts too Thumbs Up That hammer is my new favourite tool though!!

I'll bring it on a ride-out soon Mr. Green

sgtcalle
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:21 - 12 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to hear how the bikes goes and handles. I've seen some of these in OK nick go for criminally low amounts and am quite tempted.

I had a Zzr 600 which had a great engine, so expect this one will be similar, but I've read that they don't handle that well? More of a sports tourer handling than all out sportsbike. Having said that, I'm no Rossi, but am trying to get quicker, so I wonder whether the handling will be good enough that I'd never notice the deficiencies? I'm 6" 5 and I'm told these are quite comfy compared to other 600s of that vintage.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 12 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgtcalle wrote:
I've read that they don't handle that well

Where did you read that? It's bollox.

They are knocking on a bit now and a lot of these are running around with front forks that need an overhaul. With new heavier weight oil and a reduced air gap in the front to sort the damping they handle very well. They are a little bit slower to turn in than a later ZX6 but that can be changed by raising the rear ride height up. They don't need it though, with a decent set of tyres they are solid and confidence inspiring.

sgtcalle
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:59 - 12 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
sgtcalle wrote:
I've read that they don't handle that well

Where did you read that? It's bollox.

Mcn reviews. Don't know how credible they are like. Good to hear. For 1200£ you can't really go wrong.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3