Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How to restrict bike to A2?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

cjttchris
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:26 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: How to restrict bike to A2? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I am very soon going to get myself a Suzuki GSF Bandit 600. I hold an A2 licence and literally cannot wait to get on a bike after passing over a month ago.

My question is what would be the best way to restrict the bike? I hear that I could do it myself with various washers etc on the accelerator cable or something (sorry if my motorcycle lingo is poor, I will learn). If not what is the best route to go for?

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ,you can get a restrictor kit for the bandit on a A2, but if you haven't got the bike yet , it might be easier for the garage your getting it from to fit it for you, might be easier if your not sure about the mechanical side,some info Thumbs Up
https://a2bikes.co.uk/bike/suzuki-gsf600-bandit

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:12 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should do the trick.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-Bandit-GSF-600-Restrictor-Kit-35kW-46-46-6-46-9-47bhp-DVSA-RSA-Approved-/221515122354?hash=item33935486b2:g:S50AAOSw7NNUEtBc

cjttchris
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:46 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:
Hi ,you can get a restrictor kit for the bandit on a A2, but if you haven't got the bike yet , it might be easier for the garage your getting it from to fit it for you, might be easier if your not sure about the mechanical side,some info Thumbs Up
https://a2bikes.co.uk/bike/suzuki-gsf600-bandit

Thanks for the help, I still wonder if you can restrict it another way though. I have heard a few people have restricted their bikes with washers limiting the accelerator cable output? Not sure if this is too dodgy though?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:56 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Re: How to restrict bike to A2? Reply with quote

What you're likely to receive is 4 washers and a piece of paper.

The washers go inside the rubber boots between the carbs and the engine. This will involve removing / lifting the fuel tank, removing the airbox, removing the carbs and rubbers, inserting the washers and re-assembling.

Expect the rubbers to be rock hard and possibly already cracking and dissolving. Re-assembly may involve a parter and copious amounts of lubrication, leverage, sweating and swearing, and not in the fun way.

The vast majority of the time, what will matter is having the piece of paper to show to insurers and coppers. Some of them will ignore it anyway if it doesn't come with something that looks like a bill or a stamp from a garage saying that they've fitted it.

In theory, you could restrict it by simple limiting the amount of throttle travel. Clamp something on the open cable, or conceivably you may even be able to introduce enough slack on the open cable (and take it up with the close cable) to limit it, but how would you know that it had done the job?

One way would be to go to the local dyno place and ask them to cripple it for you, and provide a printout that insurers might not accept anyway.

tl;dr version - you could skip all that bollocks and print a PaddyCertstm yourself for pennies.

Paddy, when asked to provide one to his insurers, wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/a9TGL8P.png

Meatybeaty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi , there probably is a way to restrict the amount of throttle being used but then it gets into murky waters about the legalities of the restriction , something I'm not on safe ground with, if it was me, I'm belt and braces , I would have that piece of paper saying the bike was restricted, in case of a run in with our gallant boys in blue, but someone else might tell you different Thumbs Up

cjttchris
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:05 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The vast majority of the time, what will matter is having the piece of paper to show to insurers and coppers. Some of them will ignore it anyway if it doesn't come with something that looks like a bill or a stamp from a garage saying that they've fitted it.

I have heard that it is not actually necessary for you to have documentation. Isn't it the case that they have to prove you don't have a restrictor, not that you have to prove to them? Of course it could be a time saver though...

cjttchris
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 10:05 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meatybeaty wrote:
Hi , there probably is a way to restrict the amount of throttle being used but then it gets into murky waters about the legalities of the restriction , something I'm not on safe ground with, if it was me, I'm belt and braces , I would have that piece of paper saying the bike was restricted, in case of a run in with our gallant boys in blue, but someone else might tell you different Thumbs Up

If only they could be clearer about it all!

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:16 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Re: How to restrict bike to A2? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

One way would be to go to the local dyno place and ask them to cripple it for you, and provide a printout that insurers might not accept anyway.

tl;dr version - you could skip all that bollocks and print a PaddyCertstm yourself for pennies.

Apparently H&R do.

Looking at T&C's of my policy they say if the cert of restriction is self certified they want a dyno print out as well.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:51 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^
Yup, their policy, their rules. There's no point spending a penny more than you have to in order to satisfy whomever is asking, or conversely spending a fortune then finding that it's not sufficient.

Meatybeaty wrote:
Hi , there probably is a way to restrict the amount of throttle being used but then it gets into murky waters about the legalities of the restriction

There's not one "legal" word on methods of restriction, just that whatever you're riding with A2 entitlement can't be making more than 35kW (imaginary net engine power) when you're riding it, and not be "derived from" a vehicle making more than twice its current power[*].

cjttchris wrote:
I have heard that it is not actually necessary for you to have documentation. Isn't it the case that they have to prove you don't have a restrictor, not that you have to prove to them? Of course it could be a time saver though...

It's as necessary as the person asking you makes it. Insurers are free to set their own conditions, and Dibble can form their own belief (reasonable or otherwise) and seize, hold, dyno and then set fire to your bike.

I'd much rather be in possession of a convincing looking PaddyCerttm than actually have the bike restricted.

[*] Hilariously, a 70kW FZS600 restricted to 35kW is legal, but one that's restricted to the old 25kW limit is not. Work that one out.

Calite
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:46 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just asked to put a tick in a box by my insurer saying my bike was restricted to my licence. So you might not even need to send them anything.

Althought my bike was only 50bhp when it left the showroom 14 years prior so an actual physical restrictor was pretty much pointless

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Re: How to restrict bike to A2? Reply with quote

cjttchris wrote:
I am very soon going to get myself a Suzuki GSF Bandit 600.

Why don't A2 Licence holders buy A2 specific bikes?
I've never seen the draw of restriction, as once you get your A licence, you'd more than likely want a change of bike anyhow, rather than de-restrict and ride your old one. Added to this, you're restricting a heavy bike, thus losing performance, it to me makes sense to buy a purpose built bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:44 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Re: How to restrict bike to A2? Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Because there are very few around, especially cheap ones.

GS500, some big singles, then you're down to scrabbling after 250s. Bandit or Superdream, what would you choose?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Re: How to restrict bike to A2? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Because there are very few around, especially cheap ones.

GS500, some big singles, then you're down to scrabbling after 250s. Bandit or Superdream, what would you choose?

Yeah, I mean more specifically, why is there no real market for the new ones?
This would then filter down over time to create plenty of used ones.

There are some very capable A2 bikes out there that would be nicer to ride than a restricted bandit. There are also people out there that sit on an A2 licence for years, as they don't feel the need to upgrade, due to just using the bike to commute in town.

If I was forced to be on an A2 due to my age, I would most certainly look at getting a new A2 specific bike and keeping it for 2 years. Plenty of people are buying a 125 and using them for the same time. It just seems strange that the market is there, the bikes are there, but the two don't get together and dance. Mybe it's to do with there being too few bikes on the legal limit power wise, as they tend to be a bit lower. But for my money, I would rather be on a bike designed from the outset to output 35kW than one restricted to it.

Maybe the manufacturers should have models on the legal power limit, so that it is clearer that they are making the bike for the A2 class specifically. There must be a huge market, as the laws are EU wide, so I imagine that it would be a good group to aim at.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:24 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Re: How to restrict bike to A2? Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

Yeah, I mean more specifically, why is there no real market for the new ones?
This would then filter down over time to create plenty of used ones.

For the reasons you state. No-one wants to buy a new bike that they'll take the depreciation hit on, potentially drop as new rider, and want to sell not so long afterwards when they go full A.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Re: How to restrict bike to A2? Reply with quote

arry wrote:
For the reasons you state. No-one wants to buy a new bike that they'll take the depreciation hit on, potentially drop as new rider, and want to sell not so long afterwards when they go full A.

Yeah I can see why people restrict, but there are plenty of people that have money in the EU and can afford the hit, you only need look at the buoyant sales of new 125's and 50's to see that.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:31 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're buying an A2 bike new and on finance, as many people do, then you're looking at tying yourself to a 3 or 4 year contract for a bike that you're very likely to want rid of in 2 years, and which you can't use to sit your A tests.

cjttchris
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 06:57 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

I understand where you are coming from. For me the reason I wanted the larger bike was:

A. As a student with already massive debts I could not afford to buy one of the new A2 complient bikes, and am in no way attracted to finance deals in this day and age.
B. For my lessons and test I rode an XJ6 which was restricted and found it to be a lovely bike, I certainly wouldn't want to go back on having a larger engine.
C. I also preferred the looks of the bandit, I love the classic feel of the front end and fell for it a bit... Rolling Eyes

However, what you suggested is correct, in the UK I think there needs to be a much market of specific A2 bikes. I think over the next 5 years it will become cheaper to get the new A2 bikes but I think lots of manufacturers are not quite sure themselves whether to put more models into the market. Remember there are only 2 years that people would need them for in reality, what then?!

In further news I have bought my bandit and fitted the restrictors myself yesterday. For a first timer when it comes to bikes and maintainable etc, I thought the process was rather easy. Broke a sweat trying to get the carbs back into the rubbers but got it done in the end anyway. I rode it not long after and I can tell you that it most definitely felt like it still had a good amount of power. Enough to please me until they can be taken off. I am now officially a biker!! Very Happy

Sorry for the late reply and long post.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:43 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job on just getting it done. Thumbs Up

Did you get the all important piece of paper with the washers?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjttchris wrote:
Pjay wrote:

I understand where you are coming from. For me the reason I wanted the larger bike was:

A. As a student with already massive debts I could not afford to buy one of the new A2 complient bikes, and am in no way attracted to finance deals in this day and age.
B. For my lessons and test I rode an XJ6 which was restricted and found it to be a lovely bike, I certainly wouldn't want to go back on having a larger engine.
C. I also preferred the looks of the bandit, I love the classic feel of the front end and fell for it a bit... Rolling Eyes

However, what you suggested is correct, in the UK I think there needs to be a much market of specific A2 bikes. I think over the next 5 years it will become cheaper to get the new A2 bikes but I think lots of manufacturers are not quite sure themselves whether to put more models into the market. Remember there are only 2 years that people would need them for in reality, what then?!

In further news I have bought my bandit and fitted the restrictors myself yesterday. For a first timer when it comes to bikes and maintainable etc, I thought the process was rather easy. Broke a sweat trying to get the carbs back into the rubbers but got it done in the end anyway. I rode it not long after and I can tell you that it most definitely felt like it still had a good amount of power. Enough to please me until they can be taken off. I am now officially a biker!! Very Happy

Sorry for the late reply and long post.

Yeah, you've kinda answered in the way I thought. I do think that there is a market there, as I would imagine there would be a fair amount of riders that just sit on an A2 licence, with no desire to go larger, due to just commuting on 250/300 etc.

Does anyone know if there is a database of how many people hold licence types? This might be good information for manufacturers if there are thousands of them.

Oh, and welcome to biking proper Smile

cjttchris
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:12 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Yes I did. I got a *cough* professional *cough* to fill it out for me. Bit pointless but I think I will get a dyno test as well soon to make sure. Then I'll have no problems!

Pjay wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a database of how many people hold licence types? This might be good information for manufacturers if there are thousands of them.

Oh, and welcome to biking proper

No clue, but this would be very interesting to see. And thank you, finally able to utilise the reasonable British weather...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:23 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Re: How to restrict bike to A2? Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Apparently H&R do.

Looking at T&C's of my policy they say if the cert of restriction is self certified they want a dyno print out as well.

I was with H&R Laughing

Glad all was sorted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:46 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number of each type of license is one of the stats that I haven't seen kicking around. In any case, there are many lapsed and not-yet-born-again bikers around.

cjttchris wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Yes I did. I got a *cough* professional *cough* to fill it out for me.

Top notch. Reminder, eBay can provide ink stamps saying anything you like for under £10. My service books are full of them, well legit.

cjttchris wrote:
Bit pointless but I think I will get a dyno test as well soon to make sure.

Might even be counter-productive. Annoyingly, what matters isn't measured rear wheel power but "net engine power". Without disassembling the thing, a dyno run is only going to estimate that using a set of voodoomaths which may be entirely different from the voodoomaths used on another dyno.

And what would you do if it came out over 35kW?

Unless you're doing it for interest, the paper and the washers are all you need and probably a fair bit more.

cjttchris
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:51 - 17 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerbord wrote:
Might even be counter-productive. Annoyingly, what matters isn't measured rear wheel power but "net engine power". Without disassembling the thing, a dyno run is only going to estimate that using a set of voodoomaths which may be entirely different from the voodoomaths used on another dyno.

And what would you do if it came out over 35kW?

Fair point, well it would save me the hassle and the money. Maybe I will give it a miss. I will just bring the paper along with me and buy some legitimate eBay stamps Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 3 years, 275 days between these two posts...

nicomallourid...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:09 - 16 Feb 2020    Post subject: Re: How to restrict bike to A2? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What you're likely to receive is 4 washers and a piece of paper.

The washers go inside the rubber boots between the carbs and the engine. This will involve removing / lifting the fuel tank, removing the airbox, removing the carbs and rubbers, inserting the washers and re-assembling.

Expect the rubbers to be rock hard and possibly already cracking and dissolving. Re-assembly may involve a parter and copious amounts of lubrication, leverage, sweating and swearing, and not in the fun way.

In theory, you could restrict it by simple limiting the amount of throttle travel. Clamp something on the open cable, or conceivably you may even be able to introduce enough slack on the open cable (and take it up with the close cable) to limit it, but how would you know that it had done the job?

Right now I'm kind of going through the same process. I have an XJ6 in turkey but I'm going to move to the UK this summer and sell the bike and get a new one (preferably ninja 636). The thing is I'll be 18 yo with an A2 but I need an A license. Is there any way I can restrict the bike, get a dyno test and get whatever certificates I need (which I dont exactly know what i need), and then derestrict the bike. So my point would be to have it restricted on paper but it to be full power. How would the police know that it was de restricted? Woudl they know. Sorry for the long reply but cheers in advance.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 69 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2