Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

£12.50 daily charge for pre-'07 bikes in London

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:02 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: £12.50 daily charge for pre-'07 bikes in London Reply with quote

Last year it was announced that in 2020 there will be an Ultra Low Emissions Zone in central London. 'Dirty' vehicles will pay to enter. This will include bikes which don't comply with Euro 3. All bikes registered after July 1 2007 do comply. I think. (There must also be a few older bikes which are Euro 3 compliant?)

The news today is that new mayor Sadiq wants to bring the scheme forward to 2019 and to double the size of the zone. Previously it was going to be the same area as the congestion charge zone, but he wants to enlarge it all the way to the North and South Circular Roads. He also wants an extra charge on the most polluting vehicles from 2017. He hasn't said which vehicles these will be. His press release: https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/bold-plans-to-clean-up-londons-toxic-air

If like me you live in the zone and have a dirty bike (a 1994 K1100LT in my case) you are exempt until 2023 but then you have to pay the charge in full, i.e. £4562.50 per annum!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:50 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khan cycles to work, right?

Khaaaaaan wrote:
Require all newly licensed taxis to be zero emission capable from 2018

"Capable"?

This is what you get when you elect someone who's spent his life protesting The Man rather than being him. He's in for a bit of a rude awakening, I suspect.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:22 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that, if you print out the reg number of your next door neighbour from hell/ boss/local mp/local pcso onto a piece of white paper so that it looks like a number plate and then stand in front of one of the congestion charge cameras, they'll get a notification that they hadn't paid.

They'll then obviously dispute it. At that point, tfl will send them a copy of the automatically taken picture of you waving.....

As far as I know, the only crime you could be considered to have broken is harrassment (if you do it often enough to the same person)

IF enough people did this regularly enough, the whole house of cards would come tumbling down.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of a random question, but if you have an imported bike (say a 2-stroke TDR125) but it's on an '08 plate, will it still be allowed?

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Did you know that, if you print out the reg number of your next door neighbour from hell/ boss/local mp/local pcso onto a piece of white paper so that it looks like a number plate and then stand in front of one of the congestion charge cameras, they'll get a notification that they hadn't paid.

They'll then obviously dispute it. At that point, tfl will send them a copy of the automatically taken picture of you waving.....

As far as I know, the only crime you could be considered to have broken is harrassment (if you do it often enough to the same person)

IF enough people did this regularly enough, the whole house of cards would come tumbling down.

I would love this to be true. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:35 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I would love this to be true. Laughing

It is. A mate of my brother's (car modding types) was cycling into the zone wearing a tee-shirt with his number plate on it (it's a thing in modding circles apparently).

Got sent a picture of him cycling. That's how it was discovered.

Ironically, it's alos how we know it won't work with bikes. All the cameras are front facing....

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it sounds like they're only consulting on these changes at the moment, which means you can write in and object to their plans so they can ignore you, just like last time.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:17 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cameras are only on the approaches to the zone and currently only look at the front of the vehicles.

At worst you only need to have a 'wardrobe malfunction' over a 100 yard distance once they sort rear facing cameras and stopping for 30 seconds to have a fag isn't gonna make you late in london traffic.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:38 - 13 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a few inside the zone. They don't publish a map but people have used FOI requests to put one together:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1nNvi7HJDveDfVGI1GF_xiD5sBuI&hl=en_US

Yet another reason to have a permanent wardrobe malfunction.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 00:08 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't alter the fact that they are all front facing cameras.

Last time I looked, my number plate is on the back of my bike.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:47 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Khaaaaaan wrote:
Require all newly licensed taxis to be zero emission capable from 2018

"Capable"?

Every single vehicle is capable of zero emissions, especially when sat on your* driveway with its engine off.

* That'll be a lot of vehicles on your driveway Rogerborg, is it big enough?

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:51 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturally buses will be exempt. Or any they all powered by children's smiles and unicorn farts?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:44 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Naturally buses will be exempt. Or any they all powered by children's smiles and unicorn farts?

There is a plan to sprinkle pixie dust on them, if you read the proposals.

In not entirely unrelated news, Glasgow toon has breached air quality WHO more-what-you'd-call-guidelines.

I presume that's the city centre, which is already predominantly bus-and-taxi only, and it's particulates, which mostly come from (wait for it) diesel buses and taxis, but I doubt that'll stop the Cooncil from rolling out collective punishment to all. They've been floating the idea of a congestion charge and - allah help us - trams for years now.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:47 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:

There is a plan to sprinkle pixie dust on them, if you read the proposals.

In not entirely unrelated news, Glasgow toon has breached air quality WHO more-what-you'd-call-guidelines.

I presume that's the city centre, which is already predominantly bus-and-taxi only, and it's particulates, which mostly come from (wait for it) diesel buses and taxis, but I doubt that'll stop the Cooncil from rolling out collective punishment to all. They've been floating the idea of a congestion charge and - allah help us - trams for years now.

There was a lot of "subject to funding" in there.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:17 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been making noises about doing the same thing in Leeds for ages. Personally, I think it's a bad idea. There's no "fuck you, this is London" attitude, businesses choose to be here and people choose to shop in the city centre. Most residents avoid shopping in the centre now due to parking charges anyway, so they'd look pretty daft if they stuck on a congestion charge and everybody stopped going when they've just spent $100 billion on sticking in a new Primark and putting a second door on the train station.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

No charge for tuk-tuks though..

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a tuk-tuk

Thinking

Hmmmmmm

Laughing Nah! Laughing

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the case I shall stop using my 04 cg125 that does 110mpg average and use my 08 FZ1 that manages about 35mpg each day - think of all the pollution ill be saving with that!!

Middle Finger
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should switch to commuting in my Landrover, 48 year old engine, open crankcase & rocker breathers, oil-bath air filter and a gearbox that leaves a trail like a snail.

I could single handedly negate all their emissions savings Thumbs Up Very Happy

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:01 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every day there seems to be more and more reasons not to go to London.

Pollution, Allah Snackbars, Lodonstan, traffic, driving charges, parking limitations, suicidal peddlists, muggings, cost of a bacon butty, house prices, Lord Mayor, Southerners, foreigners, bus lanes, red zones.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeahhhhh, but all those things keep the whingers out.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's an Allah Snackbar, anyway?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Every day there seems to be more and more reasons not to go to London.

Pollution, Allah Snackbars, Lodonstan, traffic, driving charges, parking limitations, suicidal peddlists, muggings, cost of a bacon butty, house prices, Lord Mayor, Southerners, foreigners, bus lanes, red zones.

Dont forget the theivin cockney bastards

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:43 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alans Snackbar = Allahu Akbar = God is great.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:45 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought it was a kebab shop on the old kent road....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 347 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5