Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Great new cycle lane opened near me

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Great new cycle lane opened near me Reply with quote

Can't wait to beat the rush hour traffic Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

zico
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:45 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable. The thing is that in order to get that made someone had to think about, suggest it and then it was approved by a chain of other people. At no point did anyone say "no, this is stupid." Ridiculous.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does actually make some sort of sense. It's to give you a safe place to stop whilst waiting for a gap in traffic so you can cross to the central reservation, then wait there whilst waiting for a gap so you can cross the other side - to where there is presumably a cycle path heading towards Great Yarmouth.

If you aren't a strong/confident cyclist who is willing to get into the right hand land of the approach to that roundabout and ride around at normal traffic speeds with the flow in the right hand lane around that roundabout (to avoid being left hooked) then it'll be useful.

Personally I wouldn't use it, I'd stick to the road.

https://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/give-cyclists-space.png

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:07 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right that is what it's intended for, but to follow that cycle path in the direction of Great Yarmouth you have to cross the dual carriageway a further 5 times just to get across the junction and series of roundabouts.
The junction has cost 21 million pounds to build and was done from scratch pretty much. Cycling routes were always part of the plan so they could have done all manner of bridges/underpasses yet all they've done is paint a few lines in stupid places.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:33 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
If you aren't a strong/confident cyclist

If you aren't a strong/confident cyclist then you've chosen the wrong road to cycle on.

techathy
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:20 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al wrote:
You're right that is what it's intended for, but to follow that cycle path in the direction of Great Yarmouth you have to cross the dual carriageway a further 5 times just to get across the junction and series of roundabouts.
The junction has cost 21 million pounds to build and was done from scratch pretty much. Cycling routes were always part of the plan so they could have done all manner of bridges/underpasses yet all they've done is paint a few lines in stupid places.

Lets face it unless you're in London cycle provision is basically a box ticking exercise. So why design something which will cost a lot of money to implement when you do can do the same thing with a few pots of paint & some spare kerb stones? Brick Wall

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:43 - 22 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove past some of the new Leeds - Bradford "Cycle Super Highway" yesterday and it looks like pedestrian carnage waiting to happen. A lot of it is sharing footpaths or looks like additions to the footpaths (built about 1.5 metres into the road) and they pass within inches of the bus shelters/stops. You're also supposed to give way everytime you come to one of the dozens of road junctions, so it'll be stop/start constantly.

I for one wouldn't use it. It's only useful for people who plod along at walking pace, but mixing pedestrians and 20mph pushbikes is going to end in tears Evil or Very Mad

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:44 - 22 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then the fit cyclists who can cruise along at 20-25 mph on the flat will get abuse from motorists for not using that farcility that was built for them at huge expense, whilst pedestrians won't honour the white line separating the cycle lane from the footpath and hurl abuse at cyclists for riding their bikes on the pavement. Lose, lose for cyclists - except that it may encourage some people who would otherwise have been too scared to try riding.

Fiona84
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:05 - 11 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
And then the fit cyclists who can cruise along at 20-25 mph on the flat will get abuse from motorists for not using that farcility that was built for them at huge expense, whilst pedestrians won't honour the white line separating the cycle lane from the footpath and hurl abuse at cyclists for riding their bikes on the pavement. Lose, lose for cyclists - except that it may encourage some people who would otherwise have been too scared to try riding.

I get some dirty looks off pedestrians at times when riding on the cycle path, clearly they haven't noticed the large bicycle painted on the pavement. Not fit enough (or fast enough on my MTB) to manage 20mph on the adjacent road, and once being run off the road by a lorry was enough for me. I still have a mark from hitting my shin on the kerb, and it was two years ago Sad

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:30 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last few weekends I've done a route which could do with one of those - turning right across a dual lane dual carriageway. Speed has just gone down to 50mph from delimited.
Times I've been it's not been TOO busy, but an extra place to 'line up' out of the way if needed could be useful.
Luckily in that case I do have a bit of leeway as there's a teeny strip of 'hard shoulder' as such to the left of the white line - as opposed to the pictured case where you can't really safely pull over without going up the kerb.

Last edited by G on 15:34 - 12 Jun 2016; edited 1 time in total

Robbeh
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:24 - 12 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha just reading through and thought I recognized that cycle path.

I drive past it daily and always thought it was a stupid design. But because it's quite a hilly road I just presumed it was a rest area for cyclists.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1