Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What Off-Road Bike For Me?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: What Off-Road Bike For Me? Reply with quote

Within the next 18 months I'd like to purchase an off road bike.
I would be using it purely off road, on fast undulating gravel and hard pack tracks, it won't be based in the UK so the chances of it seeing rain or mud are, virtually, none existant.

A bit of background:-

I did have a DRZ400E for this activity, in the same location, which I enjoyed riding,
The DRZ weighed in at 132kg, I believe this is considered to be a bit lardy, I never had a problem riding it, but then again I never fell off it so I've never had to pick it up or extract myself from underneath it.

I also had a Gas Gas 280 TXT trials bike at the same time as the DRZ, that was fun but not suited to the terrain I was using it on.

In the UK I currently have an old XL125R that I've used on a couple of green lanes in the UK. The XL surprised me with how well it coped with some nasty rocks and stuff, stuff that I thought would have been more suited the Gas Gas.

I'm no off road god, I dabble and just like to pootling around.

So, in general, what's should I be looking for in the, nearly new, second hand market, that's going to suit fast gravel track stuff?

I'd like something with a fair amount of get up and go.

Something that doesn't require tearing apart every other weekend, to keep it running.

Something that's not going to leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I guess having something I could register for the road, if needed, would be an advantage, but it's not a deal breaker.

I've had 2 stroke road bikes but never an off roader, I'm not sure I want a peaky engine that requires playing tunes on the gearbox to keep it moving.
So I guess I'm looking at a 4 stroke, in the 250 - 400 range!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a Honda CRF230
https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/honda/2013-honda-crf230f-ar151925.html

Quote:

Within the realm of recreation riding, the CRF230F stands tall: Motorcycling magazines the world over have complimented this mid-sized off-road machine for its many playbike-oriented attributes. With the ease of electric starting, it’s the perfect match for all-day fun and off-road adventure.

Throw your leg over the saddle of the CRF230F, push the electric starter, and have a blast. You don’t have to worry about breaking down or excessive maintenance, you can jump on the CRF230F with its durable six-speed transmission and plush, long travel suspension and leave the on-road world in the dust. With its overall size, sturdy frame and lightweight components, the 230F is just the right size for adults or larger teens who can’t wait to take on the twists and turns of the trail.

Add in electric start, and it’s obvious the CRF230F takes play very seriously.

Features

Sealed Battery - Maintenance-free sealed battery helps insure that your CRF230F is ready to ride without you having to do a lot of pre-ride preparation.

Motocross-Style Seat - The CRF230F’s motocross-style seat is low and comfortable and allows for maximum rider movement.

Electric Starter - ush-button starting makes getting going easier in all kinds of conditions. Efficient design adds minimal weight.

Keyed Ignition - The CRF230F features a keyed ignition switch for added security. The switch lets you control who goes riding and when, important if you have younger riders in the house.

Disc Brake - The front disc brake provides superior stopping power, and the front disc rotor is drilled for lightness and better wet-weather performance.

Skidplate - A high-impact plastic skidplate protects lower engine cases.

223cc Engine - Dependable 223cc single-cylinder air-cooled four-stroke engine offers plenty of user-friendly power and torque spread over a wide rpm range.

Heavy-Duty Clutch - Heavy-duty clutch offers smooth, progressive engagement.

Pro-Link Rear Suspension - The Heavy-duty Showa® rear shock with progressive linkage connects a single shock to the swingarm, and delivers an excellent combination of spring and damping rates over a wide range of conditions.

Snail-Type Chain Adjusters - Snail-Type chain adjusters allow for easy maintenance.

Lightweight Rims - Strong, lightweight rims feature straight-pull spokes for more strength.

Specifications

Engine Type 223cc air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore and Stroke 65.5mm x 66.2mm
Compression ratio 9.0:1
Valve Train SOHC; two-valve
Induction 26mm piston-valve carburetor
Ignition CD
Transmission Six-speed
Final Drive #520 O-ring-sealed chain; 13T/50T
Suspension Front 37mm leading-axle Showa fork; 9.5 inches travel
Suspension Rear Pro-Link Showa single shock with spring preload adjustability; 9.0 inches travel
Brakes Front Single 240mm disc
Brakes Rear Drum
Tires Front 80/100-21
Tires Rear 100/100-18
Wheelbase 54.0 inches
Rake (Caster Angle) 26°45’
Trail 111mm (4.4 inches)
Seat Height 34.6 inches
Ground Clearance 12.0 inches
Fuel Capacity 1.9 gallons, including 0.4-gallon reserve
Color Red
Curb Weight 248 pounds

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:24 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at all sorts and ended up with an EXC as they're just so hard to beat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a tidy WR250F was in budget, it'd be at the top of my list. Its the easiest and most flattering off road bike I've ever ridden for mixed use, and though it's years since I did any trials or MX riding I liked the WR thumper and for playing on everything from MX tracks to muddy forest trails it was really decent, easy to start too! If the 450 is as good as this then I'd consider that too if you needed more motor.

A CRM250 is a bike for general off roading I'd like to try, but they seem to have alot of parts discontinued and some bits are really pricey too. Spares prices and waiting for parts is my main issue with going Orange too.

Don't listen to me though as I have little experience of many modern enduro or MX bikes. The newest bike I've ever ridden is a 2004 KX250, I'm sure some stuff has changed alot since then.

Last edited by stevo as b4 on 14:24 - 20 May 2016; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies!

The only comparison I can make with any of the bikes mentioned is to my old DRZ400E, if you've an idea how they would compare, to give me an idea, I'd be grateful!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
Thanks for all the replies!

The only comparison I can make with any of the bikes mentioned is to my old DRZ400E, if you've an idea how they would compare, to give me an idea, I'd be grateful!

Me on a DRZ250 in Queenstown New Zealand - mister wheelie there in front of me on the 400

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz3CQbpc5QQ

Me on a CRF230 in Rotorua New Zealand -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7inT6ZO04s

I'm a crappy rider. The CRF230 I found easier to ride, and made me seem less crap than I am.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 14 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just watched the two videos. Cool

The trails you're riding there are nothing like what I'll be riding on.
What I'll be up against are basically gravel mountain roads with no real obstacles, other than the odd gnarly corner amd random snakes on the track.
To give you an idea I could get the DRZ flat out in top on a few stretches.

Would this influence the choice of bike?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:12 - 15 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it open and fast enough for something like an XR650R or a European alternative? If the weight of the DRZ was not an issue and you were using all the power alot of the time, then a 600-650 might be the way to go?

I can't fully picture the trails your describing riding on, though it sounds more like the American fast forest fire roads, and when you see you tube videos of people riding them, they show 100mph blasts on stuff like big 650's and even KX 500's etc.

If less weight and a mix of more muddy or technical tracks with jumps and obstacles, then a YZ450F should be pretty awesome I'd have thought. It would be a good bit quicker more powerful and lighter/more capable than the DRZ I'd expect too.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 15 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I get to ride on is like this:-

https://mycyprusinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/bigstock-Off-Road-2411186.jpg

Some of it is narrower with lots of pebbles and smallish rocks, lots of hairpin bends, (usally rutted), and lots of steep inclines.

You can see what's on offer, in the secondhand market here:-

https://www.buysellmoto.com/mobile.php?view=1

Use the "Filter ads" button to make a search.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 15 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
What I get to ride on is like this:-

https://mycyprusinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/bigstock-Off-Road-2411186.jpg

Use the "Filter ads" button to make a search.

https://www.buysellmoto.com/mobile.php?view=1.1&adid=18176&rurl=sp3%3D45%26sp2%3D35%26view%3D1
kilroy was here This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 19 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally irrelevant to the OP's intended use. Two stroke bikes are not better or out do four-strokes everywhere quite like you suggest.

The whinging people going on about parts prices and loose cam chains just probably don't know how to re build them too.

What 2stroke is comparable to a 650cc four stroke for open fast trails in a hot country, and where you don't want to be stopping for a refuel every 30mins or so?
kilroy was here This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:41 - 19 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that's easy to lift off your leg and fix.
250 2 stroke.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 20 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's places in the world that you wouldn't want a 2stroke bike, that's my opinion and point really.

Secondly as good and as light as a 300cc KTM is, it's still alot more thirsty and does not have a bigger tank than a four stroke to compensate?

Do you really think a 300cc stroker is comparable with a 650cc thumper for open fast off road use, and speeds approaching 3figures? The sort of two stroke to effortlessly keep up or out gun such four strokes is more like 500cc, and these are rare birds, hard to find,expensive and horrific on fuel too. Not to mention they are all competition motors that don't really like constant throttle openings and they vibrate nastily too.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 20 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many top Dakar rally winners were two strokes though?

The novice argument is pointless as flip it the other way and put an expert rider on the DR650, and the novice on some super trick lighter bike won't see which way they went. Its all the rider and less than 10% the bike really.

I know the bikes your talking about are not super peaky rev to the moon machines, modern competition two strokes rarely are compared to four strokes.

The bikes I mentioned in jest are very vibey and quite peaky for half litre engines. A typical 500 has no bottom end power, no top end power and everything suddenly happening at 3000-6000rpm or thereabouts. They don't make good machines for anything away from closed course circuit events being honest, though people do have fun and even more frustration trying to use them for other things.

Did you have a cam chain snap and strangle you round the neck as a child horror experience? As all you talk about is constant cam chain failure every 500yards, like it's some ghost haunting you?

All this and still nobody has come up with some good bike suggestions for the OP and their needs.

Snowdonia Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 20 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Husky TE310. Won't need rebuilding every half mile and light enough to pick up. Bit more torquey than a 250.

Failing anything though just get another DRZ400 and ride the fucker. Riding any bike has to be better than sitting on your arse stressing over what to ride and riding nothing at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 20 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

under_rated wrote:
Husky TE310. Won't need rebuilding every half mile and light enough to pick up. Bit more torquey than a 250.

Failing anything though just get another DRZ400 and ride the fucker. Riding any bike has to be better than sitting on your arse stressing over what to ride and riding nothing at all.

There is a chance I could buy back my DRZ400E.
If I don't see anything that takes my fancy I might buy it back.

I know the guy who is selling the bike in the ad below, he always has a good selection of bikes for sale.

https://www.buysellmoto.com/mobile.php?view=1.1&adid=18176&rurl=sp3%3D45%26sp2%3D35%26view%3D1

To be honest I'm not interested in a 2 stroke.

I've had an DR600 but not sure I'd want to go back to the physical proportions of that size of bike.
XR400's do come up for sale quite often, I seem to recall that there's some kind of grumbling clutch problem with that model.
One other feature I'd like is something with a kickstart, I'd like an electric foot as well, but would like the back up of a kickstart.
I know there is a kickstart conversion kit for the DRZ.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
There is a chance I could buy back my DRZ400E.
If I don't see anything that takes my fancy I might buy it back.

Err, no I won't, spoke to the guy I sold it to, last night and he's sold it on! Sad

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now see, I didn't quite read the OP properly and thought of a DRZ 400 as the ideal bike, but then I read it properly that you'd had one. Laughing

I would say a Husky TE610, done, or if you can find one a TE410. Thumbs Up

Pretty reliable, I've heard, big power and plenty of torques, presumably reasonable chassis and brakes.

I don't think a two stroke would be good for that sort of thing, my CRM would be alright but would still be a big old slog to ride for any great distance on roads like that, as mentioned, they vibrate, you won't have engine braking to help control it a bit better, they drink fuel like there's no tomorrow, you'll need to premix, unless it's got an autolube system, which not many modern ones do, maybe thx1138's Beta does.

Talking of thx1138, I bet his VanVan would be reasonable for pottering along stuff like that, not as exciting but I reckon I'd find it great fun to ride.

I reckon a big-ish four stroke would be ideal. My TTR was good on stuff like that, it is only a 265cc but after all my tuning to it, it would lift the front in 5th, but far easier in 4th, and topped out at about 85mph.

It's reliable as anything, never got really hot, but as standard they are very gutlees, when I got it, it was massively down geared 13/52 and would struggle to lift in 2nd, after the overhaul, it is now running 14/48 and much better, it just needed a clutch lightening device, but I entered a few trials with it, really I should have just lowered the gearing, gone round MX tracks and done a couple of enduros, quality machine, just needed a kick start. Thumbs Up
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 19 Jun 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fladdem wrote:
, unless it's got an autolube system, which not many modern ones do, maybe thx1138's Beta does.

Talking of thx1138, I bet his VanVan would be reasonable for pottering along stuff like that, not as exciting but I reckon I'd find it great fun to ride.

:

My Beta does have an auto lube system Thumbs Up
It is also an expensive bike (though cheaper than a KTM), with a lump of concrete for the saddle, and the front end gets so light at 60mph it's dangerous Laughing

200cc vanvan would be a giggle I should think
125cc vanvan, would be a bit meh
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 311 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1