Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where to test a bike before a track day

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

james88
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:56 - 16 May 2016    Post subject: Where to test a bike before a track day Reply with quote

Hi,
I live in the Manchester, UK area and I've got a Yamaha SZR 660 which I'm considering turning into a track day bike. I'm wanting to test the bike out prior to getting it on a track.
The bike's been sat for about 5 years but after a bit of general garage upkeep the engine runs well.

Does anyone know where I might be able to take the bike out, get it up through the gears and get a feel for any fundamental flaws it might have before getting it to a proper track day?
I'd rather not get it to Oulton Park to find the bike's finished before she's even warm.

Are there any cheaper track days (i.e. karting tracks) in the area?

My dad used to do club class racing in the 70's/80's and suggested finding an old aerodrome or similar (which would be ideal!) but I would rather not have a run in with the police or annoy a land owner.

Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers, James

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 16 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few ideas for you;

Idea Years ago I used to go to a local abandoned airfield and test there, do a search in your area for something like that if you are lucky you might find somewhere.

Idea Ask a landowners permission to test your bike there.

Idea Stick the bike in a van/trailer and drive somewhere much quieter than Machester and test it out on some quiet road.

Idea There are lots of cheap trackdays out there, you can even do trackday evenings which are a fraction of the price. Search on the trackday organisers websites, No Limits, Focused events and see what they have to offer.

Idea Chuck the rear up on paddock stands and test the engine that way.

Idea You just missed out on a BCF event, but there is always Santa Pod RWYB events, costs a massive £35 for a days fun. That would certainly test your machine.

Last edited by .Bishbash. on 15:43 - 16 May 2016; edited 1 time in total

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:22 - 16 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.three-sisters.co.uk/

loply
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:11 - 16 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the reg on the bike out of interest?

Would love to have a go on track on one. Used to have one as a road bike.

I would take plenty of tools to the track with you, make sure to give the carb a thorough clean beforehand. Maybe give the vacuum fuel pump a good once over too.

99% of things can be figured out without riding the bike though, just by running the engine on stands, bouncing around on the suspension a bit, etc.

Give it a real thorough once-over in the garage and I reckon you could find out about about any problems.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 16 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

the simplest solution would be to stick a no. plate on it, mot ('daylight'), tax and insure it and make it road legal.

possibly not the cheapest solution though Wink

james88
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:31 - 16 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash, thanks for the tips! Smile
Think I'll have to go for a mooch out on the bonnie and try and find somewhere suitable. Or like you said, try a cheap track day/evening. Just an hour should give me a good idea of what's what.

Loply, its a '96 SZR. My uncle had it for years but was getting dusty in his garage and told me its the best handling bike he'd ever owned.
Thanks for the info.

supZ, that was an option but trying to avoid unnecessary costs at the mo!

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:49 - 29 May 2016    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the engine, you could also book a dyo run - then you'll not only find any general issues, but get more detail of fueling etc.

Probably cost as much as doing a drag event and you won't get to actually ride the bike, however.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 7 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1